PDA

View Full Version : Runescape - PC

Shooting Palanx
17-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Runescape - PC (Release Date: January 2001)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5b/Runescape-Logo.png

This game is probably one of the few games on the net that I got into religiously. I mean it had everything that I liked, a few quests, a few activities and online friends which wasn't too bad.

Runescape is a java based game, that was released as a Beta version in Early 2001, and it is still running as one of the most successful browser based games on the net. This is your basic RPG style game, where you create a character at the beginning and just alter it any way shape or form, from Gender all the way to appearance and even clothing.

Soon after the release, Runescape saw a great boom in popularity which prompted the release of another version of runescape only more sleeker, and a few added additions to the game such as NPC's and extra quests.

http://74.50.120.105/images/runescape_big.gif

There are also various things to do on Runescape, such as Woodcutting, Runecrafting, Mining, Smelting, Smithing, Fishing and many more.

As other general RPG's you level up as you progress, for instance the more you cut wood, the higher your woodcutting level becomes, meaning you get to cut more prestigous trees such as in this case you begin with Oak, than move up to Willows than the big YEW tree, this in turn allows you to use more capable axes.

This game is also set in the medieval times, so you will see a lot of resemblance to that period such as the armour, which is in the form of a knights armour but it's classed in many different ways, ranging from Bronze Armour all the way to Rune Armour (if you're a free member).

http://www.internetactu.net/wp-content/documents/Runescape.jpg

Access to runescape is quite simple, you sign up via the website, and bang you're there.

The story in the world of runescape is pretty basic, but really the story holds no significance in the way you play, you don't become evil or good in the game but rather more neutral, you really do focus on the gameplay rather than the storyline. Just to note the main three gods of Runescape are Guthix, Zamorak and Saradomin.

As I've said there is a ton of things to do in this game, there is no finish line in this game either, you can set yourself your own private goals such as trying to reach level 100+ this in combat level by the way, or just try to level up a certain skill.

Runescape also has Random Events, that could happen to you at any given time, this was brought into to give players a break from playing the game, or maybe to prevent cheaters? Whichever it is, they are fun to do, and most of the time they give pretty awesome rewards such as a cool new Outfit or some gold and jewllery.

http://maxpwnage.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/runescape.jpg

The monetary system is quite simple, all you have is gold. So you spend the gold to get equipment, and you use the equipment to get more gold, couldn't be any easier huh!

There have also been security issues in Runescape, so there are information tutorial NPC's that teach you through quests on how to avoid getting your account hacked, or how not to give private information or how to report someone who is doing something against the rules, this I found was pretty necessary for most of the young lads who were vulnerable on the internet.

I liked this game quite a lot, I didn't care for the graphics, I usually care for the game play too. The fighting is turn based where one hits another and vice versa.

http://www.worldsinmotion.biz/runescape11.jpg

There is just wayy too much in this game to mention in one review, so really it's up to you if you like this or not.

In comparison to most other RPG's it is up to par, but in the end it really is all opinion. I liked the game, and no one is really going to change that, so if you haven't already do try the game as it just might be right up your alley :)

Rate: 9/10

Rawgasm
17-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Nice Review: Here's mine

NO

Star Hustler
17-01-2009, 04:39 PM
You gotta be kidding me SP.

flameboy118
17-01-2009, 04:39 PM
no mention of the new graphics?

Shooting Palanx
17-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Lol....this game isn't to popular here I guess, and I felt that the graphics weren't too necessary so meh. It's the gameplay guys :)

Nemo
17-01-2009, 04:49 PM
i used to play this game game a hell of a lot...loved it but now i just cant be bothered to play it.

never even knew they changed th graphics

Star Hustler
17-01-2009, 04:52 PM
If you thought my comment was rude a little, Let me make my peace with this game real quick.

I cannot believe some of the things people play and Runescape is one of them. First off the graphics are not horrible because its browser based but because of the super polygon look, mixed with this 3rd person over the shoulder camera that makes it worse. The game itself is not much. It has similar concepts to that of WoW and GW. Why not shell the 15 for WoW or just play a rather better free MMO, this is an utter waste of space on the web. There are far better games for free than this, MMO at that. Like um, Maple Story or Knight Online, or MU Online, or countless others that I do not care to mention. Also don't let me get started on the community.....*facepalm*

I'm sorry SP but this game is crap, I rate this game 0 out of 10

Rawgasm
17-01-2009, 04:55 PM
If you thought my comment was rude a little, Let me make my peace with this game real quick.

I cannot believe some of the things people play and Runescape is one of them. First off the graphics are not horrible because its browser based but because of the super polygon look, mixed with this 3rd person over the shoulder camera that makes it worse. The game itself is not much. It has similar concepts to that of WoW and GW. Why not shell the 15 for WoW or just play a rather better free MMO, this is an utter waste of space on the web. There are far better games for free than this, MMO at that. Like um, Maple Story or Knight Online, or MU Online, or countless others that I do not care to mention. Also don't let me get started on the community.....*facepalm*

I'm sorry SP but gah this game is crap, I rate this game 0 out of 10

That's basically my review but only a tad longer. See above for details

vrc2k?
17-01-2009, 05:01 PM
my short review

there's lots of stuff to do, but it's all really boring, the combat is awful, you click on an enemy, and wait, you can chose 3 different fighting styles but it's all automatic and the winner is just the person who has the higher level.

everything is just click on something and wait.

3/10
+free
+lots to do
-incredably boring
-people online seem to be idiots
-dull

Shooting Palanx
17-01-2009, 05:01 PM
ROFL.

I like this game, and will always play this game.

I do get bored of it sometimes, but I just move away from the negative aspects of it that is pointed out to me countlessly....

I'm not ashamed of saying that I like to play Runescape, and why should I be? Because the whole world hates it? Meh....

It's all opinionated at the end, you have yours and I have mine.

Lol Spinja, nah your post wasn't offensive :)

flameboy118
17-01-2009, 05:12 PM
leave runescape alone, it's the best of it's kind.

besides, it's all relative. runescape is aimed at people who aren't 'hardcore enough gamers' to enjoy real games. equally, gears etc are aimed at people not 'hardcore enough gamers' to play proper games. it's all relative

Shooting Palanx
17-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Ahahaha, guess you're not a fan of gears Alex?

Runescape is what it is, it's just up to people whether they like it or not, and in this thread it clearly shows :p

Nemo
17-01-2009, 06:01 PM
i always enjoyed ripping people off... buy very cheap sell for alot..thats a skill :D

Shooting Palanx
17-01-2009, 06:04 PM
It's called Merching, I used to do that a lot :p

I'd buy Rune ess for 30gp ea in one world, than go to another world and sell it for 50gp ea...

It worked wonders, but given the new update merching is pretty much extinct :S

Star Hustler
17-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Luckily i've never been conned or ripped off in a MMO.

Orathac
17-01-2009, 08:59 PM
this game is more like life simioulator, i've played this, and i knew back then a lot off famous people, like revelwood etc, if you compare it to second life this game is ****ing fantastic, i knew a guild, that had the 65-70% party hats of the game you bacisally cant find any party hats is the game anymore only by trades, so if there was like 1mil party hats that guild had 700k party hats, and each cost 600k.
they decided to destroy the 50% of the party hats, so they did, and now party hats cost even more than 10mil.

but if you like action, and fighting this game is not for you, i don't play this game anymore i was into gamble and i lost everything and some of my friedns in the game too :p

nice review btw

Talentz
18-01-2009, 12:50 AM
Well this game sucks but I do admit I liked it when I was you young, but to be honest I give this game a score of 5/10(I'm being kind here)

Shooting Palanx
18-01-2009, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the feedback Orathac :p

I'm currently playing this game now, and at the moment I am training my Ranging, which is archery basically.

And wow Orthy, party hats are rare, and they destroyed them?

Why?

Orathac
18-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the feedback Orathac :p

I'm currently playing this game now, and at the moment I am training my Ranging, which is archery basically.

And wow Orthy, party hats are rare, and they destroyed them?

Why?

yes and i don't know if you were playing rs 2 years ago
party hats from 600k gold suddenly costed more than 10mil g
because from economical view the less party hats there are the more they cost.
that's why i love this game, its really close enough to real life

Forum Resident
18-01-2009, 12:25 PM
I played this for a few years over 2 years ago i was also still around there when the party hats jumped up with the price but this connection i got stops me from enjoying what i used to enjoy if the connection was better and i where still playing for another 2 years or so id be way over the 100s by now anyway i left the game still with equip capable of doing damage (Such as a dragon long-sword and iban staff) and some rune armor and a little over 20k of gold left (Couldnt be bothered to continue with that - Long story) i hate the interface the community and the security i found client games with better communities then that the only truly good thing about it was the iban blast which kills dragons very quickly (Well it did when i was still there dont know about it now) i was only addicted to it because it was like a damn drug and i told myself not to take drugs this one calls you back until you block it out by not thinking about it well that about sums it up in a short "sentence".

7/10 - 3 down for being like a drug.

(You will need to take breaths when reading this im crap with punctuation so there isnt any in the mass of words)

Shooting Palanx
18-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Wow interesting story guys, and yes Orthy I used to play way back in the day, I just took a 1 year hiatus, and than picked it up again.

@Firewire, yes it is like a drug, I used to find myself mining endlessly or cutting trees endlessly for hours on end...it gets that addictive.

Forum Resident
18-01-2009, 04:14 PM
It tis a good idea to stop taking the mind killing drug from time to time to regain your sanity anyway i checked up on that game just over a week ago it tis getting better bit by bit yet the interface remains crap.

Shooting Palanx
19-01-2009, 01:46 AM
The interface never really bothered me, I like the simplicity of it all.

It would suck if it was 3D all of a sudden =/

Forum Resident
19-01-2009, 03:06 AM
Jagex is aiming towards 3D thats what the updates are trying to show but not very well in my opinion.

Shooting Palanx
20-01-2009, 01:23 AM
It is 3D sort of, but not completely....

It still has a long way to go, they're trying to make it seem more life like if you look at the way the characters are mining, or fishing....

Gamekid
20-01-2009, 06:09 PM
It got boring and i quitted..i mean the skills...u stand there hours on end clicking "create <item name>" and it was just stupid..it was literally like watching paint dry

Nemo
20-01-2009, 06:19 PM
i mainly played rs to chat to friends since msn wasnt popular that much during secondary school

Shooting Palanx
21-01-2009, 02:08 AM
It got boring and i quitted..i mean the skills...u stand there hours on end clicking "create <item name>" and it was just stupid..it was literally like watching paint dry

That's why I quit too, it just seemed too repetitive, but than again name an MMO that isn't :p

Forum Resident
21-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Apparently the servers for the game have been re-worked and dont have any lag on them no matter what connection you got and experience is said to be easier to get now.

Rumors..... the latter is the one i would choose to believe.

Eskimo_Lee
21-01-2009, 03:33 PM
I loved it. Me and my friend played this for like 16hours straight without moving. We even had a business. He would mine, we hired two new guys who we would pay 50gp to run between him and me where i would smelt it. Then make items or sell the bars. It was a good business and earned me my first 100,000Gp.

All in one session. Made some good friends to.

:D

Good review and i have fond memories of this game.

:)

Shooting Palanx
21-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Haha, that sounds awesome.

Sounds like my business back in the day, I'd get like 4 miners to get me rune essence, for 30gp ea.

Than I'd jump into another world, and sell it all for 50gp ea.

Now these days it seems instinct due to the trade limit.

@Firewire, I don't experience any lag what so ever, so yeah you're probably right.

Patch
21-01-2009, 07:46 PM
btw, Rapture loves runescape.

Shooting Palanx
21-01-2009, 08:00 PM
And so do I, Patch.

Taking it you're also a fan of RS?

Patch
22-01-2009, 06:15 PM
no, I hate it, not my thing, to grind.

Talk to Rapture about it.

Rapture
22-01-2009, 06:18 PM
I do not love Runescape.

Patch
22-01-2009, 08:05 PM
stop lying!

He tries to make a fool of me, he's a lvl 70 mage I think.

MEW5502
22-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Runescape is a **** out of the devil's ass hole that needs to be quickly cleaned up and permanantly disposed of.

Henaru
23-01-2009, 01:45 AM
I find this game ok, but its a bit lacking in direction. The game itself is for those that don't generally have aims, like you don't have a set path, you can be anything you want, within reason of course. I have an account but I only go on when I have nothing better to do, so this isn't a popular one for me. The main annoyance with this is the way its players generally hate a new player. I myself got called a t*at, ba*ta*rd, and that my mother was their wh* so yeah I lost interest pretty quickly, I realise that not everyone is like that, but it takes away the initial reason for things like its creation, to bring the world a bit closer, cause that is one of the main reasons. I give it a 6/10 for its gameplay, and options but its marked down by the way it more experienced players act and the general way it can only be fully enjoyed by spending real world money, alot.

Rapture
23-01-2009, 07:23 PM
I do not love runescape.

vrc2k?
23-01-2009, 07:47 PM
aww, rapture loves runescape.

Patch
23-01-2009, 08:59 PM
haha! yes, spread the word of Raptures love.

Rapture
24-01-2009, 10:25 AM
No?

Forum Resident
24-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Theres nothing wrong with someone loving a game patch.

The game gets boring quickly even after all its improvements.

Rapture
24-01-2009, 05:58 PM
I do not love Runescape.
**** off.

Forum Resident
24-01-2009, 06:01 PM
.... READ BEFORE YOU TYPE..... Numskull.

I didnt type anything of a kind directed at you i was stating a fact.

Rapture
25-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Nor was what I said directed at you. Do not assume before you post.

flameboy118
25-01-2009, 07:19 PM
to divert this back on topic...

i think runescape is alright. the people who slag it off either just don't get MMOs or don't understand that runescape is in no way in competition with WoW, WAR, AoC, GW etc..

Patch
25-01-2009, 07:47 PM
Theres nothing wrong with someone loving a game patch.

Its an in joke between me and Jon. I have no problem at all with the game, its just too much grind for me.

oh, it is wrong if he sticks his balls in it.

Shooting Palanx
26-01-2009, 03:30 AM
It does get boring having to do something over and over again....such as cutting Yes, which I am doing at the moment, and man does it suck =/

Orathac
26-01-2009, 11:05 AM
i have woodcutting 85 with my banned char
and 77 with my new one
wow i'll never forget the feeling when i cut my first magic log
i don't know the prices nowdays, but back then every magic log was 1k
good old days...

Shooting Palanx
26-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Wow man, that is pretty awesome.

Any reason as to why your account got banned?

Orathac
27-01-2009, 11:52 AM
i shared it with my gf, she had enemies in runescape, and they reported me
it was good
she leveled my fletching up to 60 in 3 days
damn her and her enemies :@

Evoletx
28-01-2009, 03:53 AM
Runescape was alright. I remember it was really popular in about 4th or 5th grade, and all my friends talked about it, but I didn't get the memo til later. Even then, I only played it a few times. :p

Freeze
28-01-2009, 07:00 PM
i shared it with my gf, she had enemies in runescape, and they reported me
it was good
she leveled my fletching up to 60 in 3 days
damn her and her enemies :@

That's the first girl I've ever heard of that plays/played RuneScape.

halo-fan-4ever
28-01-2009, 07:09 PM
That's the first girl I've ever heard of that plays/played RuneScape.

what about the 1000s of female members you see walking around lol??

Orathac
28-01-2009, 07:13 PM
yeah i remember my clan was about 60&#37; of girls (not anything mature or special)

halo-fan-4ever
28-01-2009, 07:58 PM
most of them are cyber ****s and want free stuff

Freeze
28-01-2009, 09:14 PM
And what's wrong with that! :P

Shooting Palanx
28-01-2009, 11:59 PM
Geeez Halo, some of them are pretty decent people who just want to enjoy a good free MMO.

As of late, I've just been cutting yew trees, and training my sisters account.

NinGamer.uk
21-02-2009, 12:49 PM
its tottally rubbish you cant do anything and if your not a member everything is really limeted

halo-fan-4ever
21-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Geeez Halo, some of them are pretty decent people who just want to enjoy a good free MMO.

As of late, I've just been cutting yew trees, and training my sisters account.

lol its true though, every girl iīve come across in that game is like:

hey im a nooby girl can i have some free stuff plz im poor?

Forum Resident
21-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Most of them are kids on the other end with no brain halo.

Shooting Palanx
21-02-2009, 02:46 PM
lol its true though, every girl iīve come across in that game is like:

hey im a nooby girl can i have some free stuff plz im poor?

Those are noobs, but most of them are pretty cool people to talk to :)

vrc2k?
21-02-2009, 06:13 PM

too true

Forum Resident
21-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Seriously dont edit it vrc....

vrc2k?
22-02-2009, 02:15 PM
*innocence*

Shooting Palanx
22-02-2009, 03:40 PM

I wouldn't say no brains, considering how RS also teaches people committment lol...

vrc2k?
22-02-2009, 04:21 PM
the game is pretty impressive for a browser game

Forum Resident
22-02-2009, 05:48 PM
I wouldn't say no brains, considering how RS also teaches people committment lol...

Still if they beg, spam or swear for no reason they have no brain.

Shooting Palanx
23-02-2009, 07:09 AM
No they have a brain, otherwise how would they be able to do any of those things :p, you mean they're idiots :p

Forum Resident
23-02-2009, 11:15 AM
You know what i mean.

Dickhead101
23-02-2009, 11:27 PM
I used to play this game alot and made "pk vids" not going to give out name but i quit it ages ago. It was good about 2 years ago i tried it recently but it just sucked big time too boring for me

Gerd
23-03-2009, 01:14 PM
well the graphic sucks as for gameplay there is a big variety of things you can do but still some are limited to members another thing that sucks and with my connection i get disconnected sometimes
Good gameplay
Bad overall

Rukaria
08-01-2011, 04:44 PM
This game is tough to review. You either love it or hate it.

MrFr3drik
08-01-2011, 11:52 PM
I think RuneScape is pretty fun for like two hours then it became pretty boring, cus you cant do anything you havenīt done...

Jazza
09-01-2011, 12:08 AM
7/10
Everything SP said was true but it can get a bit samey

Sappy
09-01-2011, 06:22 PM
I got so addicted to this like 3 years ago lol

amistr
10-01-2011, 03:23 PM
UK-based developer Jagex Software is trying something new: letting players decide a future update to its online game, RuneScape.

The developers set up an online petition this week asking players if they want to allow "unrestricted free trade," and the player-versus-player combat area called "The Wilderness." The developers say this move is part of its 10-year anniversary for Runescape.

"We want to celebrate RuneScape's 10th anniversary by offering our loyal community the chance to decide, once and for all, the future of Free Trade and the Wilderness," said Christoph Vietzke, Head of RuneScape, in an announcement this morning."

"When considering game changing decisions such as this we always hold our players' ultimate game experience firmly in mind," added Mark Gerhard, Jagex CEO. "We have released a host of new content which provides a comparable PvP experience to the old Wilderness and mechanics to allow increased trade limits with long term friends but we are still regularly told by players that they want more. We want to find out whether the passionate voices we hear on this topic are truly representative of entire community or just a vocal minority. If the vast majority of our players support of the campaign then we will restore these features to the game as quickly as possible."

Jagex plans to reintroduce unrestricted trade should players approve it. This feature grants players the freedom to donate their wealth or trade items to friends without restriction.

The Wilderness is a player-vs.-player area described by Jagex as the "most dangerous area in RuneScape." The Wilderness gives players a place to fight each other to the death for loot and money using all the features added over the past 10 years such as creature summoning, new curses, more powerful weaponry, armor, and more.

The community petition runs until January 14. Jagex says that this event is the first of many planned to celebrate the game's ten-year anniversary. To support the campaign, visit http://www.runeScape.com/wilderness.

Boyder1
19-01-2011, 12:01 PM
I played this game when I was about 13. I think thats enough said to give you an idea of the game.

Xx Kaireigu xX
27-01-2011, 11:59 PM
I used to play it a lot a very long time ago and if I'm honest I really enjoyed it at the time but I got sick of it due to it being very repetitive.

I give it 6/10.

iPhone
29-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Aaah,WILDY IS COMING BACK YOOOOOOOOOOO!

Rukaria
29-01-2011, 11:18 PM
We all care. :)

dudumolin
31-01-2011, 07:05 PM
to a game that works in a browser

8/10

Talentz
31-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Aaah,WILDY IS COMING BACK YOOOOOOOOOOO!

Really. Astonishing to think that would come back.

Archangel
31-01-2011, 07:48 PM
That may convince me to go back to that old abused MMO.

iPhone
31-01-2011, 07:52 PM
No Wildy is coming back tommorow check the homepage.