PDA

View Full Version : Sonic 2008 Special: Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity

Rawgasm
17-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Sonic 2008

So you think 2008 was finished? No, well yes it is done, but Iím here to remind what Sega crapped out for us last year. Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity, Sonic Chronicles and Sonic Unleashed. Oh, and of course review them.

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity

Out of the three Iím reviewing I have to say this was the most fun, even though itís the sequel to the crappy racing spin-off. This also is the best Sonic Racing game because lets face it, Sonic R and the 2 Sonic Rivals games were all ****ACULAR. But I wonít go into them, in fact I wonít go anywhere near them.

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/6966/sonic20riders20zero20gron8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

The Story to this is, youíve guessed it, Eggman wants to take over the world. Itís not even challenging anymore when it comes to the story, you can probably guess the ending too if youíve played about 2 or 3 of the Sonic game of your choice. Thereís always a twist in every story for Sonic like in Sonic Adventure, remember that? Chaos tries to destroy the world on its own because it betrays Eggman. And in Sonic Adventure 2 where Eggmanís grandfather Robotnik, you heard right, tries to destroy the world. Also in Sonic Rush The Eggman from a different dimension tries to help Eggman. Thatís what I mean by twists, however in Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity, which really shouldnít have a story in the first place, there are no twists. Itís just plain Eggman wants the world. Thereís also some Ďrivalryí that kicked off in the first game with Sonic, Tails and Knuckles with The Babylon Rogues, thieves who should stay well away from the series. But hereís the thing, the story mode is really short. And itís not even a story, itís the grand prix mode, with dialogue, and thatís it. Well at least thereís more gameplay than story.

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/1189/180775949646e470655dbc4yf7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Oh there is a twist in this one, no new characters, no Iím not kidding, There are no new characters WHATSOEVER. Believe it or not, itís true, so DevianTARTlets will be upset to not Ďcreate some artí of new characters. In this racing game you play as Sonic, Tails and whoever else that Sega throw in. They are ordered to use vehicles, because Sega have decided that Sonic shouldnít be able to use the only thing he as got, and thatís running fast, which Sega seemed to have forgotten. There are three classes Speed, Flight and Power. WaitÖ that sounds like Sonic HeroesÖ uh oh. But the classes are pointless, as all they do is access different shortcuts in the tracks. There really not much more they can do. Besides there are vehicles that can change a speed type, like Sonic, to a power type. So itís really down to choosing your favourite character. Whatís new in this game is the gravity feature, which is good but too difficult to use at first. You can use gravity to cut sharp corners, fly really fast and break stuff. It makes no bloody sense. The controls are horribly laid out.

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/7493/00217681qs0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

What Sega need to learn is graphics, I need to point this at least once in this special, the graphics havenít improved a bit since the last game. This is the Wii for godís sake. Sega, take a look at the graphics in Smash Bros Brawl and tell me that youíve tried your best, I dare you. And of course in a Sonic game there is the soundtrack, itís great but still thereís the few annoying blips and blops soundtrack that really cringe worthy.

CONCLUSION
MehÖ this is half done to be honest. The controls graphics and almost everything needs improvement. But hell, itís fun once you know what youíre doing.

+ Great Soundtrack
+ Itís funÖ
-- ...but you need to figure what the hell youíre supposed to be doing first
-- Classes are pointlessÖ
-- Ö In fact almost all of the features are pointless

You thought that was bad, wait for the other two

garfieldisntfat
18-01-2009, 04:28 AM
Well written review, as always. I find it so god damn sad that Sonic has gone downhill since Sonic 3(Sonic & Knuckles).. :(

Star Hustler
18-01-2009, 06:26 AM
I actually kind of liked this game, the soundtrack was indeed awesome.

Nice review! :D

Vyse the Legend
19-01-2009, 12:45 PM
I'm dreading to see the next two reviews, as this is bad enough and it got a 6.5. Definately shows how downhill the Sonic series has been going, I imagine even sales show that and no real surprise either.

Star Hustler
19-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Definately shows how downhill the Sonic series has been going,.

The series has been going up and down for me, One sonic game comes out I actually like then the next one that comes out sucks.

Vyse the Legend
19-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Well I could be wrong but I think most people have felt that the recent Sonic games have sucked, sure there may be a not too bad one somewhere in there, but I feel as a whole, considering how awesome it used to be, it's definately going slowly down and down. I mean just looking at those pics in itself, makes me not want to play this game, looks like a cheesy F-Zero rip off.

garfieldisntfat
19-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Well I could be wrong but I think most people have felt that the recent Sonic games have sucked, sure there may be a not too bad one somewhere in there, but I feel as a whole, considering how awesome it used to be, it's definately going slowly down and down. I mean just looking at those pics in itself, makes me not want to play this game, looks like a cheesy F-Zero rip off.

Haha yeah actually. Now that sucks.

Shooting Palanx
20-01-2009, 01:19 AM
Awesome review, although I was never a big fan of the games, although Sonic by himself was awesome.

I probably will review a Sonic game sometime too.

Rawgasm
25-01-2009, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the comments guys.

Can someone put this in the glossary please?

Talentz
01-02-2009, 02:05 AM
Another nice review Raw, and yes I hate this game to. Played it at my friends house and I spat on it.