PDA

View Full Version : Overlord - PC,PS3,360

CW
19-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Overlord

(Note: This review is ment to be partly offensive / sarcastic, as an increase to humouristic value... and so full further of my reviews. Inspired by zero punctuation.)

Developer: Triumph Studios
Console(s): PC, XboX 360, Playstation 3
Year of release: June 2007
Genre: Action-Adventure-ish thingy?

Overlord is one of the not-to-many games that prefer evil instead of good, and it is one of the best to do so since the era of Dungeon Keeper. This makes the fact of its developers even more of a mystery. Overlord was developed by Triumph Studios, who were previously known only for the Age of Wonder games, and hence for being crap. Overlord, whatever the cost might have been to the developer team (like let's say a few souls...), is a solid title today. The gameplay is based on a third person perspective where the player steps into the role of a heavy armoured commander. This commander is the so called “Overlord”, as you might have guessed by now. The overlord himself never actually says a single word or shows any feeling whatsoever, giving the player freedom to create their own evil being.

The key-part of overlord is your minions. There are four different types of minions that are unlocked throughout the game, each with its own special abilities. You may create your army with any setup of these, up to a maximum of 50 minions in total. These little *******s will destroy, devour, kill or equip nearly anything you send them against. These minions however are not only your loyal little killing machines, but also the thing that makes overlord a good game. Just seeing tons of them speed around yelling “kill!” “Murder!” “Destroy!”, when charging. Or “Shiiiiny” when they return to you with loot is simply adorable with their squeaky little voices. The amusement caused by these minions' actions and comments is close to limitless. For example you may send them to a nearby table with beer mugs, which they first drink, bulk, glove for a few seconds while being drunk and empowered, and then literally take a piss… BRILLIANT!

Being an Evil overlord, you will not only command your minions to destroy stuff themselves and collect all the booty, but you may aswell step into combat yourself using oversized swords, axes or maces nasty enough to give Freddy Krueger chills, but also use a wide arsenal of different spells. These are come in 4 categories with 3 ranks each, the last rank being dependant on your corruption level. Now, this doesn't mean you leave out a few baths and your hygiene but rather are acting like the biggest prick ever who find Murder the funniest comback. Yet, with the glove black stuff soon coming out of you... you may as well take a bath after all. And don't forget to polish those horns.

And yet, as immersive this game may be, and as much your little dead bunny things make up for its flaws, there are certain things that are begging to be nitpicked, one of them is the length of the game. Due to the fact that it is very enjoyable it feels especially short aswell, and this along with the fact that there are WAY too few characters spoil this game for a perfect score. Sure, there are random people around (who are fun to murder on a side note), but these are merely scenery / victims rather then plot characters. Another problem, if not as great, is the difficulty curve… in the fact that there is none. The game is fairly easy after you have completed the first tutorial, with minor challenges here and there. Yet, this issue is instantly made up for by the sound of sheep spines breaking to a peaceful, cheerful music that might aswell have been used for “hello kitty” games. However, I must admit the interest your minions find in sheep are rather disturbing at times…

Anyway, I personally find that this game is awesome. Note; Awesome does NOT equal perfect. It has its flash, but its very immersive and a lot of fun to play. I recommend this game to any fan of evil gameplay instead of the normal “fight all evil” themes. That said, I recommend getting the game anyway, since you’ll hardly experience anything like it. Similar things maybe, but nothing like it.

8.5/10

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7c/Overlord_pc_uk.jpg
http://www.winsupersite.com/images/showcase/xbox_shots_overlord_01.jpg
http://www.cheatcc.com/imagesx360/overlord_00b.jpg

Written by NekronosiS (sorry for taking forever to post it!!)

Forum Resident
19-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Kick ass game ive just spent most of the day playing it so far its better then anything ive played in that genre of games.

Interesting review nekro.

Breaking Glass
19-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Attaboy.

garfieldisntfat
19-01-2009, 07:41 PM
I just started playing this game today, and so far it's alright. A bit repetitive.

EDIT: Played it some more, and I have to say that those minions are the best things ever. They do all the work for you with a single mouseclick, and when they're done, they finish it off with some lameass comment.

Star Hustler
19-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Good review, I heard this game is sort of like Pikmin.

Forum Resident
21-01-2009, 03:04 PM
You should try it spinja its got a nice end of the world type aura about it so to speak i completed it about 7-8 hours after i wrote that previous comment.

Replayability is good if you are going to play the opposing side to your previous overlord.

Eskimo_Lee
21-01-2009, 03:25 PM
I must say Nekro, this is not a game i enjoyed to start with. I have had another shot of it and i am loving it. I am going home to play it tonight :)

I can't wait!

Awesome Review tho. I like it :) Actually pushed me back to playing the game again.

Star Hustler
21-01-2009, 03:27 PM
You should try it spinja its got a nice end of the world type aura about it so to speak i completed it about 7-8 hours after i wrote that previous comment.

Replayability is good if you are going to play the opposing side to your previous overlord.

I'm gonna go to the game store tomorrow, and buy this game up. :)

I'm sold into buying this game cause I keep hearing nothing but good things about it. :D

Dark Seducer
23-01-2009, 10:39 AM
It's a great game and lots of fun, doesn't take intself too seriously. lol Was enjoying it until I got stuck, can't seem to find the fire minion hole. :(

I'm keeping my eye on Overlord II, meant to be released this year sometime, probably Winter ....

Doomed
23-01-2009, 12:07 PM
I played this game last year and it wasn't really as good as I thought it would be after reading the reviews. It is fun at the beginning and it was rather fun to destroy everything in my sight but the game got a bit repetitive afterwards and I got tired of it pretty soon but overall its not a bad game.

Nice review Nekro.

Forum Resident
24-01-2009, 05:58 PM
I got stuck, can't seem to find the fire minion hole.

Its called a hive not a hole unless you mean where you summon the red minions from in which case its a spawning pit and its very easy to find providing you look where you are going.

NekronosiS
25-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Thank you all for the positive feedback.

About being stuck, you should be able to enter melvin's kitchen after finnishing the halfling homes. In there is all you should need.

flameboy118
25-01-2009, 05:33 PM
would recommend pikmin far above this