PDA

View Full Version : MadWorld - Wii

Orathac
19-03-2009, 08:15 PM
MadWorld - Wii - 2009

MadWorld is the new release by Platinum Games, and if it is any example of what to expect from them in the future, Wii owners are in for a treat! The game is an excellent entry into the Brawler category, and is a shining example of the amount of fun that the Wii is capable of delivering.

Story: Jack ("just 'Jack'") is in a violent future where a bloodsport called MadWorld is currently taking place on the streets of the city; over-the-top blood and guts action ensues. There is a sub-story that keeps the cinematics interesting, but I'll let the player experience that for themselves.

The game starts with a bit of cinematics, showing off the ink-heavy comic-style graphics. I wasn't sure how the style would mess with my vision, but the beginning of the game showed me that it didn't detract at all and actually gave the game a very novel feel. I couldn't wait to get in and start cracking some skulls, and that's the next thing I got to do. After the short intro, you're ripping out street signs and shoving them through thugs' skulls, canning people with flaming drums, executing them in a very painful looking way with your chainsaw (red blood flies onto the screen) and impaling them against a wall of spikes with gusto. This game earns its "M" rating in every way possible; I actually feel like a brutal badass when tossing around enemies like rag dolls.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e395/applezoom/madworldscreenshot200902178.jpg
This is considered only Routine Violence.

The game's a beat'em'up at its core, but there are a few mini-games and things to distract you along the way. Each level has at least one Bloodbath Challenge, where you fight the clock to see how many people you can kill by doing things like throwing them through jet engines (it gets so bloody!) or slamming their bodies with a blood-dripping baseball bat sending them flying to embed them into a giant dart board. It's all over the top, and that's what it's meant to be! There's this moment of glee and wincing "Ooooo," when it's unveiled what I'll be doing at the beginning of the challenge.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e395/applezoom/madworld-screenshot-wii-big.jpg
Mini Games are even more brutal, like send-the-guy-through-the-turbine

This game is hard core, but sometimes tries too hard to be. Over the soundtrack there are two commentators constantly commenting about your progress and moves, but also bantering back and forth throwing out as many curse words as they can at every opportunity. Some people seem to get annoyed at the constant, often repetitive chatter, but I actually really enjoy it and think it brings a lot of color to what could end up being a monotonous task of beating up wave after wave of enemies.

After a bit, the game can ride the borderline of stale; there are endless amounts of enemies, and finding more stop signs to stuff their heads with can begin to feel like a chore. Luckily, there's a scale of brutality that the game uses, rating each kill as "Routine Violence" or "Hardcore". It can take some inginuity and special setting up, but the scale helps me realize that I need to step up the violence and searching for the perfect kill quickly brings the game back to interesting. And then the boss battles happen, and all the wrong is forgotten.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e395/applezoom/mad-world-3-wii_008.jpg
Bosses can be Huge - the battles are always epic.

MadWorld isn't just an example of an excellent, hard core game on the Wii, it's an example of the type of excellent, hard core game that could only exist on the Wii. The motion controls add such an extreme element to the game, there is something about binding a guy in a tire, stuffing a few signposts through his head and then repeatedly bashing him against a wall of spikes that I do not believe would fully translate to very agressively pushing a few buttons on a controller. The Wii was made with stuff like this in mind (well, kinda at least), and the immersion and adrenaline rush that comes from just playing through a level is really where this shine is obvious.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e395/applezoom/2681128004_3b5d7b4783.jpg
Minibosses pop up throughout the level, and really throw a kink in your ass kicking

The only thing keeping me from giving this game a 10/10 is the subtle feeling here and there throughout the levels that there should just be a little "more", a little more to shove through people's heads, a little more help setting up the perfect slaughter (though the means are definitely there; maybe it just comes with skill and time invested). Overall, this game does Exactly what they promised it would, and has met all of my high, hype-reading expectations. Excellent example of what Wii can do.

9.5/10

Written By: robsclone

Orathac
19-03-2009, 08:15 PM
this is actually looks pretty good, probably the only wii game i want to play :p

ugotmilk
19-03-2009, 08:51 PM
:O I have got to buy!!! I just rented it and played it for 20 mins b4 my dad took it away at the site of the blood but now he's *dead* so its' all mine!!!

The real gamer_thing
19-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Really nice review, I'm tempted to order it right now, haha. Great job robsclone :D

garfieldisntfat
19-03-2009, 10:52 PM
LOL. This game looks amazing. Well written. A bit too long for my liking. Feels like you repeated the fact that you kill people in a brutal way/slaughter a bit too many times.

Vyse the Legend
20-03-2009, 12:07 AM
I'd really not heard of this game until recently kind of snuck up on me. Anyway definately looks very intriguing and unique, certainly one of those games that you can't say is just like all the other games, well worth a look if you ask me.

robsclone
20-03-2009, 01:14 AM
LOL. This game looks amazing. Well written. A bit too long for my liking. Feels like you repeated the fact that you kill people in a brutal way/slaughter a bit too many times.

Haha, thanks, all. I thought it sounded a bit too "brutal! brutal! brutal!" when i read over it, but really that is what it is completely about. Everything you do is scored on brutality, is about being bloody and harsh, and the more harsh it is, the more I enjoy it. Only when searching for weapons or powerups am I thinking about anything other than killing people in the most extreme way, and even then, I'm looking for the weapon to do the killing.

Thanks for the feedback:)

Vyse the Legend
20-03-2009, 01:23 AM
Oh yeah forgot to comment on your review Rob, very nicely done, hope to see more of them if you feel like putting any more up! :)

Talentz
21-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Wow Gory, and... really for the Wii, Incredible.. I'm ordering this ASAP and nice review and I agree of what GIF said.

PetterThomas
13-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks for giving this information..There are some information for you. I purchase some nintendo materials from the following links. And I am really amazed. So please go for the clearance sell of nintedo as soon as possible.

cooler1129
09-05-2009, 04:05 AM
it looks cool, but i feel a little bloody~

asarwar89
13-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Hmm interesting may be i will play

WyldeFyre
23-05-2009, 10:25 AM
That was a great review!! I've been pondering this game for quite some time now, and I never really had a clue what it was about until I read this. I saw the ad on TV and couldn't really make out anything coz of the black and white. Thought it looked a bit... well... $hit I suppose. This is exactly what I mean when I say the Wii needs a wider range of violent titles. Not just run-of-the-mill action, but something unique, something compelling and most of all something that makes you go "OOOOUCH!". Something like this! I'm gonna go down to HMV and bag myself a copy for sure, you've sold me Rob!! :D

ykzir
05-01-2010, 02:14 PM
It's a good game but i just couldn't complete it. I had to take it back, it might sound rough to just take it back but who likes to play a game that gives you headaches and make your eyes hurt.

shypshnius
05-01-2010, 03:26 PM
I really like this game. MadWorld has a unique black and white style depicting an incredibly sharp backdrop that straddles graphic novels and 3D worlds :)

nhogame
03-05-2010, 04:05 AM
Thanks for giving this information. i need it,

Buffalo Springfield
03-05-2010, 12:26 PM
That game had some unique graphics.

maueze11
20-05-2010, 06:43 AM
Its solid controls and wonderful presentation make this game an incredibly tough act to follow. MadWorld is easily a must own for anybody who has the system. If you don’t have a Wii… well… it sucks to be you because you’re really missing out.

wiserd
20-05-2010, 07:07 PM
i have played mad world but i have to say there are some bad points, its wii, its black and white mosty but other than thats its good