PDA

View Full Version : chipped ps2s

alexross
28-08-2005, 12:14 AM
I have a chipped ps2, anyone else got one.. ?

anyone used it for programming / running linux rather than just gaming?

post ur comments / experiences..

rgds
alex

Nathan
28-08-2005, 02:45 PM
I would like to get the linux chip and software, I saw it for sale a few months ago on playstation.com. Looks quite nice. Do you have linux running on your PS2? And if so, is it worth it?

ChrisInCali
28-08-2005, 05:18 PM
I don't have one, but one of my buddies does. He burns PS2 games he gets off the internet, and runs all kind of program on it. Seems pointless to me though, it takes him like three days to download a game, and two hours to burn it. That's to much of a hassle for me.

swetooth9
28-08-2005, 05:59 PM
i dont have a chipped ps2, but i do have that HD loader thing...it works well ;) too bad there are a lot of games that arent compatible though...hd loader puts the game in the hard drive so that load times are faster and you dont have to worry about your discs getting scratched

alexross
29-08-2005, 04:04 AM
can u post a link to this hd loader or some details ???? sounds interesting.

I havent invested in the cable [usb-usb] cos i have a beast of a pc anyhow.. was just wondering what the score was... the linux os is run from disk, not from a chip [if thats what u thought whoever mentioned chips above]

as for 2 hrs to burn a disk, it takes me about 1 night to get a game [50-100 kb/sec] and about 7 mins to burn it.. beats the hell out of paying for them.. admittedly i do buy the odd game [like maybe once a year], but only if they are sh1t hot...

IMHO only certain games suit the PS2 - the pc is much better for FPS' - and lets face it the gfx are better [if u invest - as i did - in a nice nvidia or radion card]...

lets see what the future holds with the x-box [who likes buying m$ stuff? - they take the p with extortionate controller prices, (20quid for a bit of plastic for the front of the console for example)...]

I hope Sony do themselves proud one more time..

on another subject [you Sony Freaks..]- check out the SONY DATA-TILES thing -

http://www.csl.sony.co.jp/person/rekimoto/datatile/

it will prob never see the streets, but looks neat in the videos-- novel forms of interaction for sure..

alex

swetooth9
29-08-2005, 09:28 PM
can u post a link to this hd loader or some details ???? sounds interesting.

http://www.consolesource.com/ecomm/customer/search.php?substring=hd+loader

alexross
30-08-2005, 06:54 PM
lol. two arms an a leg for that kit [HD loader] . i'd much rather pay 60quid for a modchip... altho some people complain of ps2's that break [and chipping obviously invalidates warranty] - mine have all been chipped [about 6 of em] and none have ever needed repair.

another interesting link for ps2 players is this :

http://www.mininova.org/search/?search=ps2

;-P

swetooth9
30-08-2005, 09:55 PM
lol. two arms an a leg for that kit [HD loader] . i'd much rather pay 60quid for a modchip... altho some people complain of ps2's that break [and chipping obviously invalidates warranty] - mine have all been chipped [about 6 of em] and none have ever needed repair.

another interesting link for ps2 players is this :

http://www.mininova.org/search/?search=ps2

;-P

yea, i didnt feel like modding my ps2, so i just bought the 25 dollar hd loader...then bought like a 160 gig hard drive separately for like 60-70 dollars :)

turbonutter666
07-09-2005, 03:49 PM
I gave my chipped PS2 to my girlfriends best friend when it stopped loading games properly. I bought a little baby PS2 and was very surprised at the difference in picture quality. The new PS2 was far clearer perhaps because of modified internals and with an RGB scart lead it looks even better.

P1TCH BLACK
08-09-2005, 03:03 AM
so which one is better, putting a mod chip in or just using the hd loader?

turbonutter666
08-09-2005, 08:07 PM
I have to be honest. I think its best to leave them unchipped.

It might have been the age of my last PS2 it may be that the new little PS2 has a new graphics chip but I can say for sure that the unchipped PS2 has better picture quality.

alexross
09-09-2005, 04:17 PM
I disagree- that is a ridiculous statement. chipping a ps2 only fools the machine into thinking your disks have the 'special track' that makes them sony originals...

it can't affect the graphics in any way.

turbonutter666
09-09-2005, 07:29 PM
Fair enough but I dont think my statement was ridiculous based on my own experience:mad:

So whats the answer then clever clogs??? why has my chipped ps2 got more grainy graphics than my unchipped ps2.

P1TCH BLACK
10-09-2005, 04:16 AM
on the redesigned pstwos, isn't there a method to just do a disk swap, similar to the dreamcast so it doesn't reset?

turbonutter666
12-09-2005, 03:56 PM
I will contact my console chipping/illegal games burning friend and see what he knows about boot dics for the baby PS2. I gave up with chipped consoles when I couldnt play my chipped X-Box online (it got barred the instant I tried to connect it) so I had to buy a new X-Box (2 days later I bought a Green Limited Edition one and ended up with 3 X-Boxes) and my old PS2 which I cued up for at midnight on the release date started to play up when it was loading games while playing which really got on my nerves so I bought a new one and now I dont own any chipped consoles or illegal copies at all.

Talentz
27-10-2007, 03:41 PM
well I've got a modded ps2 and I use it for alot of stuff and my friend did it for me when I was in america.

Nintengod
27-10-2007, 04:59 PM
I only ever chipped my original Playstation, as it could allow you to play NTSC games on the PAL machine. I would never buy copied games, as thats illegal.

The reason I don't chip my consoles anymore is because PAL games are now optimised. Back in the days of the original Playstation (and before), us UK gamers had to put up with ugly black borders and games running up to 17% slower! Now we have the option to play games 50/60hz.