PDA

View Full Version : OK i'm new... like really really new to psps, need insight!!

drumr
29-08-2005, 02:31 AM
Hi, i don't have a psp, but ive really wanted one for a while (the latest systems i have are ps1, n64)

but i sit next to this new kid in a class of mine and he asked me if i wanted to buy a psp from him for 100 dollars, so i said sure what's it come with?
he said the system, a wrist strap, a umd of tony hawks underground 2, a 32 meg stick duo, and nothing else (except he made another box and wrote "good condisin" by it and checked it lol, condition spelled as condisin)...

but anyways, he said i needed a charger, so i bought an ac adaptor kit at Wal-mart for 35 bucks, so that tomorrow when he has it (hes still moving from his old house) i can let him use the charger, he can charge it overnight and i check the condition the next day.

so tommorrow (monday) is when hes supposed to have it...
and i'm waiting...
my question is... what should i be looking for in the psp to see if it's in "good condisin" lol?

FalseProphecy
29-08-2005, 02:35 AM
Well, I think he just wanted you to buy a charger for him, and then he'll leave with your charger and his PSP.

But, you should check for scratches, you should check to see if the UMD drive is broken, and you should check to see if the buttons all work.

Megaman
29-08-2005, 02:36 AM
Well.. You need a light. A magnifying glass, and a cloth. In the light, look on the PSP's smooth surface to reveal scratches. Check how many dead pixels there are and see what firmware it is. Make sure the UMD is playable and you can save a game on the Memory stick. You can tell him to keep the strap though. It's junk. :P

Ask him how many times he's dropped it. For insurence, take something of his so he won't run away from you.

Since this isn't a value pack, you should get headphones, a cloth, and a better carrying case.

FalseProphecy
29-08-2005, 02:39 AM
To see what firmware it is, start it up, and go all the way to the left to Settings, then down to System Settings, then System information, and write down the Version Number.

drumr
29-08-2005, 02:51 AM
umm... i'll try that
i don't think he'll run away from it because this is one small town and this kids gotta go to school you know what i mean.

umm don't i need a microfiber cloth?

and i was just planning... (if i did decide to buy it) to get sum stuff from ebay like case, screen protector, cloth, umd case, conectivity cord, and other junk)

what should i look for?

ps nice site this forum is great! Very easy to navigate, and friendly people

drumr
29-08-2005, 02:56 AM
ohh yeah, should i buy one of those memory stick duo usb hubs for my computer too?

Megaman
29-08-2005, 03:04 AM
Yeah, you need a microfiber cloth if you don't want scratches.
You might want a 3rd party 'value pack'. I prefer Pelican because it has a screen protector, awesome case, microfiber cloth, and ear buds(?). It sells for around $15 - $20 around here. (Better than ebay anway. You might have a 10% chance of getting ripped off :P)

drumr
29-08-2005, 03:06 AM
i heard the pelican screen protectrs are not only too hard to put on, their so skinny that is doesn't protect your screen much, is that true?

i wouldn't bother payin a few extra $ for a decent screen protector

what do you guys recommend?

FalseProphecy
29-08-2005, 03:10 AM
I'm not a fan on the screen protectors, I just use my Logitech PlayGear Pocket case. :)

drumr
30-08-2005, 04:46 AM
that's it?

remmo
30-08-2005, 07:23 AM
yeh the playgear pocket case rocks. there is only one downside to it and thats that it doesnt protect the psp from dust ans stuff getting onto the system through the button cutouts. id prob get a screen protector anyway, just the stciky ones to see how it goes, if it dont work for u take it off and just be carefull

drumr
31-08-2005, 05:01 AM
ok, i saw the psp today, and it looked like it had not been taken care of that good, like theres scrathes on the back psp circle that are clearly visible, and there are little white dots on the screen

hes charging it tonight and i'll see the picture quality, what should i look for?

remmo
31-08-2005, 07:56 AM
i wouldnt worry too much about the scratches on the back, i mean the back serves no purpose really than holding the umd's. if it does that fine then a few scratches wont hurt. the white dots on the screen may be a few things: dead pixels, dirt, dust whatever. just wipe the screen over with a soft cloth to see if they come off. if not its up to u to see how much they annoy you, seeing ur getting it so damn cheap. if they r dead pixels i prob wouldnt get it cuz 1 is ok, 2 is bad but 2 or more it just plain sh&t. as for the screen quality, u wanna see a nice sharp image that doesnt pixelate and can handle different bit rate images (via games, movies, photos).
make sure u check everything out before u get it, thats if he hasnt left the country with ur charger, lol.
peace out

drumr
01-09-2005, 12:45 AM
thx alot remmo

i checked it out big time, and he loaded a game and played it and it seemed pretty smoothe

i bought it

i don't think the dead pixels (probably 2 or 3) would bother me that much

and i checked the system info and says that it's version 1.5

umm i only have charger and game, so what things u think i should buy for it, like usb cables...

ohh and should i update to 2.0, what good does it bring?

thx alot
flailing lail

Constantine
01-09-2005, 01:37 AM
Are you sure you're not going to get completely and utterly ripped off?

Constantine

Dal
01-09-2005, 01:38 AM
[off-topic]
Holy crap that's one hell of a big sig
[/off-topic]

Constantine
01-09-2005, 02:16 AM
.:Fixed:.

Constantine

drumr
01-09-2005, 02:23 AM
well i've been playing it for the past hour while charging

umm some more specs are 4:30 at 100% charge

30megs

and i've tried to check out everything on the home screen so...