PDA

View Full Version : Blu-ray

Berserk_Fury
22-12-2006, 03:54 AM
I just want to buy myself a blu-ray movie, since the only one I have is the Talladega Nights, and I really don't like it. Can someone recommend me one? I like movies like Tokyo Drift, Shaun of the Dead, Stealth (not sure if its worth buying though) and so on...

bamhm182
22-12-2006, 07:08 AM
I heard that Talladega Nights SUCKS all around, the quality, the movie, it's just bad. I've never seen Stealth, but it looks AWESOME, I was wanting to buy it a while ago for the PSP, but it was too expensive. Some people on the playstation forum said that Stealth is AMAZING on blu-ray, this will probobly be the first movie I get for it.

Kernel Kev
22-12-2006, 10:30 AM
I might get stealth out me cupboard tonight actually, that is a good film

Berserk_Fury
25-12-2006, 01:21 AM
So, no other recommendations? I guess I will stick with Stealth then.

The Juggler
24-01-2007, 12:04 AM
I just read in a magazine that the PS3 Blu-ray player will show high def on a high def tv but if you only have a 720 resolution screen it will downgrade to 420resolution as it does not do 720.... can you guys check the specs and possibly with Sony to verify that.... bit silly if you ask me.

Des

:roll:

bamhm182
24-01-2007, 12:44 AM
I don't think so, but I kinda hope so in a way. :P Because that means if I get the HD cable and plug it into my mom's HD TV, it would blow me away 2.576190476190 times more than it does right now. :shock: :shock: :shock: That'd blow me all the way over to like.... Florida, go chill with Ryder till he gets a HD TV and have it blow me back here. :lol:

imported_Ryder
24-01-2007, 04:19 AM
I just read in a magazine that the PS3 Blu-ray player will show high def on a high def tv but if you only have a 720 resolution screen it will downgrade to 420resolution as it does not do 720.... can you guys check the specs and possibly with Sony to verify that.... bit silly if you ask me.

Des

Actualy that is a silly problem Sony should fix in the next update...games do that to... :roll: :roll: :roll:

BTW Bam that`d be awesome... 8) 8) 8)

Berserk_Fury
24-01-2007, 04:17 PM

Des

OK, let me explain. This is what happens if you run a disk meant to run on 1080i resolution, but you do not have that resolution selected in the settings. This is kind of weired, because as far as I understand, 720p is a higher resolution than 1080i, but in their settings, it counts it the other way around.

This "glitch" actually proves my point. A video/game cannot be downgraded to anything else but 480p from a 1080i resolution, since that is the only resolution lower.

I keep my max resolution set to 720p since it looks better that way, and if I ever stumble upon a 1080i file, I will just change my settings. Oh, and don't worry, if your TV can have 720p resolution, then it can run 1080i as well.

Pagnell
24-01-2007, 05:48 PM
To my knowledge the PS3 can do 720 but it can't upscale. Unlike the 360, the PS3 hasn't got an internal hardware scaler chip. For information check out this. (http://arstechnica.com/articles/headstart.ars/2)

Kernel Kev
24-01-2007, 11:09 PM
To my knowledge the PS3 can do 720 but it can't upscale. Unlike the 360, the PS3 hasn't got an internal hardware scaler chip. For information check out this. (http://arstechnica.com/articles/headstart.ars/2)

XBox 360 just gets better. LOL

dirtbikr6288
24-01-2007, 11:22 PM
To my knowledge the PS3 can do 720 but it can't upscale. Unlike the 360, the PS3 hasn't got an internal hardware scaler chip. For information check out this. (http://arstechnica.com/articles/headstart.ars/2)HAHA...I love it Pagnell. Every chance you get to dump on the PS3, you take it... :lol:

Berserk_Fury
25-01-2007, 01:37 AM

As far as I have heard, this was only for the HD-DVD attachment. And it can only upscale to 1080i (for standard DVDs).

Oh, and the PS3 can do all the resolutions available - standard, 480p, 1080i, 720p and 1080p.

imported_Ryder
25-01-2007, 03:22 AM
Yup and 480i... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sorry...just had to be part in this conversation... 8)

odhranus
25-01-2007, 09:47 AM
so can someone tell me what all these numbers mean? what number do HD TV's run on or is there different HDTV's?

Kernel Kev
25-01-2007, 10:43 AM
480, 720, and 1080 are the resolutions of the TV

P stands for progressive

I stands for inter woven( i think)

So P refreshes each line as a single line, wheras I uses two lines for one

It puts the used image on the top line then brings the next image on the line below and fades the top line. Thats why P is much better.

odhranus
25-01-2007, 10:54 AM
so the numbers, do they refer to dots per inch?

Pagnell
25-01-2007, 11:53 AM

As far as I have heard, this was only for the HD-DVD attachment. And it can only upscale to 1080i (for standard DVDs).

Oh, and the PS3 can do all the resolutions available - standard, 480p, 1080i, 720p and 1080p.

No, I heard it is for games too, hence the reference to games in the article. If it was only for the HD-DVD, games wouldn't be mentioned.

Kernel Kev
25-01-2007, 01:02 PM
yes, but 720p is better than 1080i

because 1080i uses two lines for one line of the picture(if that makes sense) then 1080 / 2 = 540

whereas 720 p uses all 720 lines.

I dont know if thats the exact line numbers but its close to that.

odhranus
25-01-2007, 01:36 PM
so 1080p would be the best right?

Berserk_Fury
25-01-2007, 03:52 PM

No, I heard it is for games too, hence the reference to games in the article. If it was only for the HD-DVD, games wouldn't be mentioned.

No, no games. My friend has Halo 2 and counterstrike on his 360 (and they are original xbox games), and they do not look even a bit better. There is no upconversion of games.

And yes 1080p is the highest resolution avaible right now, but most TVs either do not support it, or are extremely expensive.

Pagnell
25-01-2007, 05:18 PM

No, no games. My friend has Halo 2 and counterstrike on his 360 (and they are original xbox games), and they do not look even a bit better. There is no upconversion of games.

Wrong.

Link. (http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6140654/index.html?sid=6140654)

When the game you want actually makes it onto the supported games list, get ready for a little HD treat. The Xbox 360 will run Xbox games in 720p or 1080i. The games will also get a good dose of antialiasing to get rid of "jaggies" or stairstepping effects found on the edges of characters and scenery.

Cabe
25-01-2007, 08:28 PM
so 1080p would be the best right?

Yeah, 1080p is considered 'true HDTV'

In order of "bestness" 1080p > 720p > 1080i > 720i
Although 1080i has more lines than 720p the image quality is still poorer due to the interlacing.

Just for the record 480p is not HDTV, its EDTV (Extended Definition TV)

The Juggler
26-01-2007, 04:06 AM
http://loot-ninja.com/2006/11/19/ps3-hd-scaling-issues-other-annoyances/

Out of interest for all you techie heads.

It’s pretty sad how broken the PS3 is. There’s tons of issues people are coming up. You’d think they’d do some better QA. I also found that it will completely freeze up if you try to reply to any messages you have on the system. Aside from that, there’s a ton of annoyances that could be fixed fairly easily. For instance, getting notifications of messages and when friends come online, like on 360, background downloading and queuing of downloads in the PlayStation Store, like on 360, a more unified online presence (same friends list in the XMB and across all games), like on 360. Sony has seen Microsoft make all these huge advances that people have come to expect and love, and haven’t done a thing to incorporate any of it into their system. Hopefully we’ll see it soon.

Des

Berserk_Fury
26-01-2007, 05:01 AM

Wrong.

Link. (http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6140654/index.html?sid=6140654)

When the game you want actually makes it onto the supported games list, get ready for a little HD treat. The Xbox 360 will run Xbox games in 720p or 1080i. The games will also get a good dose of antialiasing to get rid of "jaggies" or stairstepping effects found on the edges of characters and scenery.

Well, normally I would have agreed with you after I read that text, but counting that I actually looked at halo 2 on my friend's 360, I have to said thats a bit load of bull. Maybe it does look better than the original (I can't talk about that since I haven't seen the original in a long time), but its nowhere close to a clean 720p look. All this upconversion mambo jumbo sounds good, but when it comes to real thing, it doesn't look good. As a matter of fact, halo 2 looked worse on an 32" Samsung LCD HDTV at 720p resolution, than Dead Rising looked on a 27" standard definition TV. (I know that because my friend got the Samsung about 2 weeks after he got the 360).

Constantine
26-01-2007, 05:31 AM
Maybe you need contacts. I wasn't even using an HDTV when playing Halo 2 on my friend's 360 and it looks better.

Constantine

Pagnell
26-01-2007, 11:33 AM
Well, normally I would have agreed with you after I read that text, but counting that I actually looked at halo 2 on my friend's 360, I have to said thats a bit load of bull. Maybe it does look better than the original (I can't talk about that since I haven't seen the original in a long time), but its nowhere close to a clean 720p look. All this upconversion mambo jumbo sounds good, but when it comes to real thing, it doesn't look good. As a matter of fact, halo 2 looked worse on an 32" Samsung LCD HDTV at 720p resolution, than Dead Rising looked on a 27" standard definition TV. (I know that because my friend got the Samsung about 2 weeks after he got the 360).

Mate, it isn't a question of you agreeing with me, it is a question of you being wrong. Whether you or your friend could see the difference going on memory is mostly irrelevent - the improvement in quality is there as the article pointed out and comparison pictures showed.

And as for a comparison to the 'real thing', it is blatantly obvious the older games aren't going to look as good as newer one, even taking into accout the improvement in graphics and going purely on picture quality. Do you really expect even the best technology to take an old game and make it look like a new one? That isn't how it works. The point is that, even taking into account the original Xbox having better graphics than the PS2, the 360 displays old Xbox games better than the PS3 displays old PS2 games due to the upscale chip.

Personally I don't really care as I only own about four Xbox titles and, other than the occasional blast one Halo, don't play them anyway.

imported_Ryder
27-01-2007, 05:04 AM
Oh about that PS2/PSX games look bad on the PS3 is wrong man...Sony just resantly released an update (1.50 :lol:) that fixes most known PS2/PSX problems...quality and all... 8) 8) 8)

Constantine
27-01-2007, 05:07 AM
Along with a million security updates that they don't want to mention.

Constantine

Pagnell
27-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Oh about that PS2/PSX games look bad on the PS3 is wrong man...Sony just resantly released an update (1.50 :lol:) that fixes most known PS2/PSX problems...quality and all... 8) 8) 8)

I didn't say they looked bad, just that an improvement on the original isn't made. You could plug in a PS2 and it would look no better than the same game through the same TV on the PS3.

odhranus
01-02-2007, 10:01 AM
How could it look better? the images and everything on the disc will be the same, does X-box games look better on a 360? I doubt it (someone tell me though)

Berserk_Fury
01-02-2007, 08:21 PM
How could it look better? the images and everything on the disc will be the same, does X-box games look better on a 360? I doubt it (someone tell me though)

According to the info, they do, I couldn't see it though.

And yes, the PS2 games did look worse on the PS3 before, but this was fixed.

Kernel Kev
06-02-2007, 10:25 AM

Because the 360 has a chip in it that looks at the graphics and straightens the edges as much as it can, does work, dont know the full details but its pretty much that.

odhranus
06-02-2007, 11:39 AM
wonders will never cease

Pagnell
06-02-2007, 02:18 PM

Yes it was fixed but I never made reference to them 'looking worse', merely that they didn't look any better. And they don't.

Berserk_Fury
06-02-2007, 03:22 PM

Yes it was fixed but I never made reference to them 'looking worse', merely that they didn't look any better. And they don't.

You never made that reference, but it was true. That is what the 1.5 firmware was released for...

Also, I found out some very interesting news. Before the PS3 was launched, it did have an upconversion chip in it. But then Sony realized that if they take out this $5 chip out, they can save millions. Another interesting thing is that I was told that the PS3 is able to upconvert movies which are placed on the HDD. I am not sure how this is done, but many people said it is possible. Who knows, maybe with the future firmware upgrades, upconversions of DVD movies and games will be possible as well...