PDA

View Full Version : Is there any risk in installing Linux on my PS3?

bamhm182
03-01-2007, 12:22 AM
I've never used Linux before, so I wanted to try it out, but I've got no idea how to do it on my computer and still keep Windows, but it seems easy on the PS3, I was just wondering if there's any chance at all that I could break my PS3 installing it? Because if there is, I'm not going to do it. Just thought I'd ask some of the smarter people on here what they think.

Berserk_Fury
03-01-2007, 01:02 AM
I don't really know anything about Linux, but when I asked about it on the Playstation gamer advisory panel, I was told some extreme technical stuff that can happen, so I decided not to risk it.

Constantine
03-01-2007, 01:10 AM
It's easier and safer on your computer, unless you want to kill the harddrive in your PS3. This is what I would do if I were you:

-Google "Linux Live CD" and download one (it doesn't really matter.) Burn the ISO.

-Because you downloaded a 'Live CD' all you have to do is reboot your computer with it in the drive and it will boot from the CD, giving you a free preview of Linux.

If you want it on your computer for good, I'd do this:

-Download Acronis Disk Director (You know where to find it)
-Partition your harddrive (It doesn't need to be that big - a couple of gigs
-Go to Start>All Programs>Acronis>Disk Director>Install OS Selector
-After it's done it's thing, look for directions on how to write Linux to the partition you made earlier.

Happy Dual-Booting.

Constantine

bamhm182
03-01-2007, 01:17 AM
Omg, if you have stuff on your Hard Drive DO NOT do this, lol. I found out the hard way that even if you just tell it to partition 10 GB of your hard drive twords another operating system, it erases everything. So all my stuff is gone, Games, Movies, Music, Messages, Pictures, Gamesaves, EVERYTHING, gone. :'( Oh well, most of it is from my computer, and I can redownload the games, but still, I was FAR in Resistance :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thanks, I'm going to test Linux now.

Constantine
03-01-2007, 01:19 AM
Yea, only certain programs can partition without losing data. You would be stupid to think that Sony decided to put something GOOD in their machine :|

Constantine

bamhm182
03-01-2007, 01:40 AM
Lol, they put A LOT of good things in it, but this definitely was not one of them. :( I've already got 2 of the games reinstalled though. I'm going to try to get far in Resistance tonight. Actually, Ryder, you were saying that you just got to the chappel, right? If you were, would you mind trying to save the gamesave onto a memory stick and sending it to me, because since you haven't been on your PS3, you couldn't have gotten to much further, and that would put me a lot closer to where I was.

Also, I didn't know there were so many types of Linux. :shock: Do you know of a good one? I think Yellow Dog Linux was the one that could be installed on the PS3, so if that's real, I'm going to try that one.

imported_Ryder
03-01-2007, 02:22 AM
Lol, they put A LOT of good things in it, but this definitely was not one of them. :( I've already got 2 of the games reinstalled though. I'm going to try to get far in Resistance tonight. Actually, Ryder, you were saying that you just got to the chappel, right? If you were, would you mind trying to save the gamesave onto a memory stick and sending it to me, because since you haven't been on your PS3, you couldn't have gotten to much further, and that would put me a lot closer to where I was.

Also, I didn't know there were so many types of Linux. :shock: Do you know of a good one? I think Yellow Dog Linux was the one that could be installed on the PS3, so if that's real, I'm going to try that one.

Dude I have SO much familey that I cant play single player long enough to get passed the first level... :shock: :x :D :lol:

So I'm like REALLY far in the game in co-op so unless you want that we're both screwed... :? :roll: :lol:

bamhm182
03-01-2007, 02:36 AM
Okay, lmao, well than I'm just going to have to start over than :( Oh well, next time I'll remember to back it up, lol.

EDIT: What about you Agome, I seem to remember you saying something about having a PS3, would you happen to have a Single Player gamesave that got near/at/past the Cathedrol?

If not, I might be able to find one on the www, but I just wanted to check with the people on here first. Ryder's sending me his co-op one, hopefully that'll work.

pspwad
03-01-2007, 02:45 AM
haha good luck trying to play 2 contollers! lol

imported_Ryder
03-01-2007, 02:48 AM
haha good luck trying to play 2 contollers! lol

Why??? :? :?

Constantine
03-01-2007, 02:59 AM
Red Hat and Fedora are good ones.

Constantine

bamhm182
03-01-2007, 04:47 AM
Nah man, I was saying like I could edit it maybe, idk, I don't think it'd have to be in co-op, but than again, it is a co-op gamesave...

And thanks for the suggestions Constantine.

imported_Ryder
03-01-2007, 05:28 AM
BTW is there a Linux that runs .exe files...I know stupid question...but I still wanna know...

Berserk_Fury
04-01-2007, 01:24 AM
Co-op saves are completely separate from single player, and cannot be mixed.

I beat the game by the way, now I'm mostly playing multiplayer, and re-playing the game in normal mode. Those dual smgs you get are awesome, I wish they had more ammo though... I'm also trying to get all the skill points and documents that I missed.

bamhm182
04-01-2007, 07:22 AM
No, it doesn't, I don't think it does anyways, I'm pretty sure that Linux, Macs, and Windows all have different kinds of application types.