PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Games Wont Reach Their Full Potential???

imported_Ryder
20-01-2007, 07:28 AM
I was just thinking about the new GTA:IV game that is coming out for both the consoles and it crossed my mind...since the 360 can only handle 10GB's will the PS3 version of the game be held back due to the 360???

I mean aside from the whole "it's all going to be cut scences that is going to take up the 54GB's" theory, will PS3 games not reach their full potential because of this???

This worries me because if this does end up being a factor, the 360 is going to really piss me off...I hope that it isn`t true and that Rockstar will do everything possible they can on the 360, then go out full fleged on the 27/54 GB's they have at their disposal with the PS3...more gameplay, bigger maps, just more of everything... :? :? :?

bamhm182
20-01-2007, 08:09 AM
A wider variety of characters :D like so that the people walkin down the street don't all look alike. omg man, soooo many thoughts runnin through my head... I CAN'T WAIT! lol

I really hope they don't do that though, that'd suck ifthe PS3 was held back because of the 360...

Kernel Kev
20-01-2007, 05:30 PM
I dont think they will be used to their full potential, as alot of it will be unnesesary space taking, etc etc.

Sure they could fill an entire blu ray disk now if they wanted but then it would be more of a movie than it would a game.

Pagnell
22-01-2007, 12:42 PM
We have already been through this. Unless you want to have sh*t loads of pointless HD video, 10gb will be more than enough in most cases. However, this argument will come up more and more often as not everyone knows how games work and how the media capacity is normally allocated to each part of the game.

Agomae
22-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Rockstar WILL melt all our faces off with GTA:IV!!!! .... just one more year .... *drools* just imagining the graphics on the PS3 is WILD!?!! it makes me shake sometimes ....

Pagnell
22-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Rockstar WILL melt all our faces off with GTA:IV!!!! .... just one more year .... *drools* just imagining the graphics on the PS3 & Xbox 360 is WILD!?!! it makes me shake sometimes ....

Just made an adjustment for you there. :wink:

dirtbikr6288
24-01-2007, 11:27 PM
WAIT! I thought PS3's discs hold only 22GB's...not 54... :?

Anyway, do you know how long it would take for game developers/testers to complete 22GBs of just pure game...let alone 54?

Constantine
25-01-2007, 01:27 AM
I doubt games will ever be forced to use 55gigs in this generation. It's just the PS3 fanboy's catering to their precious console. The 360 will do fine, and so will Rockstar. If anything, I think you guys are a little pissed that one of Sony's best franchises is no longer just on a Sony console.

Constantine

imported_Ryder
25-01-2007, 03:19 AM
GTA was always on Xbox... :roll: :roll: :roll:

And just to let anybody know...

Resistance: Fall Of Man takes a whopping 16GB's of space my friends...impossible to be on the 360 with out multi-disks...so stop saying the space isn't necessary... :wink:

Constantine
25-01-2007, 04:33 AM
Then they didn't compress very well. Or at all.

And all I remember is GTA: San Andreas being on the Xbox...none others from the series.

Constantine

imported_Ryder
25-01-2007, 04:55 AM
Then they didn't compress very well. Or at all.

And all I remember is GTA: San Andreas being on the Xbox...none others from the series.

Constantine

http://media.gamestats.com/gg/image/object/666/666605/gta_vicecity_XboxBox2006boxart_160w.jpg

Anything else you'd like to know??? 8)

Oh and even if they did compress the game or not, it's still 16GB's... 8)

odhranus
25-01-2007, 09:40 AM
GTA was always on PC's too.

Pagnell
25-01-2007, 12:01 PM

http://media.gamestats.com/gg/image/object/666/666605/gta_vicecity_XboxBox2006boxart_160w.jpg

Don't get too cocky as you are clearly confusing general availability with initial release availability. Due to a deal between Rockstar and Sony, GTA has always been available on Playstation consoles at least a year before any other format and this as good as made it an exclusive title. That advantage to Sony is now lost as GTA IV is going to be release on both consoles simutanously.

The Juggler
26-01-2007, 04:18 AM
Oh and even if they did compress the game or not, it's still 16GB's

WHAT!!!! er although what you say is true, this just goes to make the point that was made on the previous thread... more room equates to more sloppy programming and you saying the above comment just makes you look silly because your basis of your arguement is that that game could not be on the 360 because of size restrictions on the 360.... your foot and shooting comes to mind.

Des

:roll:

Berserk_Fury
26-01-2007, 05:05 AM

Don't get too cocky as you are clearly confusing general availability with initial release availability. Due to a deal between Rockstar and Sony, GTA has always been available on Playstation consoles at least a year before any other format and this as good as made it an exclusive title. That advantage to Sony is now lost as GTA IV is going to be release on both consoles simutanously.

I'm pretty sure that GTA IV will sell more copies on the 360 this time. Although the PS3 will have almost a year, the 360 will have almost 2 years, so there will be a lot more of those systems in people's homes.

Kernel Kev
26-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Thats pure speculation on the statistics of the sales with each console. The PS3 could sell more in one year the the 360 in 2.

Not likely, but you cant assume the 360 will get more games because its been available a year longer.

Pagnell
26-01-2007, 11:49 AM
Thats pure speculation on the statistics of the sales with each console. The PS3 could sell more in one year the the 360 in 2.

Agreed it's possible but the sales of the PS3 in the US and Japan have so far been, and this is being polite, considerably less than Sony expected. It says a lot that I read the 360 had more problems with shortages in the US over Christmas than the PS3 did. As for the Wii, it was almost impossible to get one.

bamhm182
26-01-2007, 03:07 PM
If I wanted a Wii more than the PS3, my wal-mart had them in stock for like a month.

Pagnell
26-01-2007, 03:12 PM
If I wanted a Wii more than the PS3, my wal-mart had them in stock for like a month.

You're lucky. I don't live in the US but I read that they were very difficult to get hold of.

Berserk_Fury
26-01-2007, 03:55 PM

Agreed it's possible but the sales of the PS3 in the US and Japan have so far been, and this is being polite, considerably less than Sony expected. It says a lot that I read the 360 had more problems with shortages in the US over Christmas than the PS3 did. As for the Wii, it was almost impossible to get one.

Hm, I haven't heard of this before. What I did hear is that Sony was able to sell a million units in the United States and another million in Japan by the beginning of January. If you are going to say that PS3s are just laying in stores, that is not because of people not wanting it, it is because Sony has been air lifting systems here since launch, weekly, meaning they were actually able to keep up with the demand, unlike the 360's launch where they were not shipped for about 2 months after launch.

Wii on the other hand is just going crazy. Not only they are constantly shipping them, they are still constantly sold out. Although I have seen them in stores many times, they would be gone within a matter of hours, if not minutes, after I would see them. Just like bamhm182, I could have gotten one if I wanted to, even on launch (my local best buy only had about 14 people waiting in line for it the day before, and it had about 60 systems, so I only had to wait one night), but that wasn't the same for most people...

Pagnell
26-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Hm, I haven't heard of this before. What I did hear is that Sony was able to sell a million units in the United States and another million in Japan by the beginning of January.

You haven't read it? Really? A report published a week or so ago said they will be 25% short or their target come March.

Nomura Securities of Japan predicts Sony will miss its PS3 sales target by 25% due to what they call "poor sales" of the console in North America (see NPD data). The analyst group projects total unit sales of the console at 4.5 million by fiscal March '07, a sizable decrease from their previous 6 million guesstimation.

imported_Ryder
27-01-2007, 04:59 AM
See the funny thing is, I could care less how much Sony sold, as long as I got one... :D :D :D

Pagnell
27-01-2007, 03:00 PM
See the funny thing is, I could care less how much Sony sold, as long as I got one... :D :D :D

Agreed, that is all that is important.

shop@multe-media
31-01-2007, 07:31 AM
As for the Wii, it was almost impossible to get one.
It still is impossible to get one, you may get lucky every now and again. PS3's are in stock everyplace.

bamhm182
01-02-2007, 01:21 AM
I went to Target to exchange my friend's PSP, they had TWO Wiis, I went back ONE HOUR later, because my PS3 broke, so than I was going to get a Wii, but they sold BOTH OF THEM in the one hour it took to get home, go to wal-mart, and get back to target! (Roughly 60 minutes!)

odhranus
01-02-2007, 10:00 AM
eight had been sold by 11AM at the Game where I got mine from