PDA

View Full Version : Big news ... Sony forced to take PS2 off shelves... Nintendo's fault!

Scott croft
19-03-2006, 06:45 PM
"Reports are trickling through this evening that Sony has indeed lost its patent case against Immersion technologies and will be forced to halt sales of its PS2 console.

Immersion last year sued Sony for infringing on its patents. Immersion claims that it owns the technology that powers the rumble in Sony's Dual Shock controllers. It also sued Microsoft for its rumble features in the Xbox, but the boys from Redmond settled out of court.

Sony fought on, and lost a case last year. However, it's been allowed to continue selling the PS2 pending appeal. If the latest reports are verified, it's lost that appeal today.

This means that Sony not only has to pony up and awful lot of cash to Immersion Technologies, but it has to stop infringing on the patent - that means stop selling kit which includes Dual Shock technology, and that means pulling the PS2 off the shelf.

Commentators are wondering if this case is the reason for the PS3 controller redesign that we've seen - it's possible the horrendous boomerang monstrosity doesn't infringe on patents.

Interestingly, Immersion is owned in part by Nintendo. The next-generation battle just took another twist...

Love the Dual Shock? Can't believe Sony will pull PS2 from the shelves? What exactly is Nintendo's game here, letting Microsoft settle and taking Sony to the cleaners? Let us know your speculation over in the forums, and we'll try to back up the reports we're seeing."

mistA.WEEd
19-03-2006, 07:36 PM
Good find Scott.

Well Sony pretty much accomplished wat they needed to with the PS2 by it being the top selling console no doubt. The bad thing is that Sony does owe a lot of money to Immersion if they lose the case, which they probably will, and next to all the money they'd have to pay for the DuelShock controllers, they have the PS3 money loss as well.

It seems as though Sony does have a backup plan to all this, with the new Sony/Bluray player that's going to be coming out soon, but will this be enough? Will people really buy both the PS3 AND the new Bluray player from Sony, even tho they're pretty much the same thing? i dont think so. I'm not saying that the PS3 is Sony's only hope for saving the company in finance or anything, but im thinking that Sony is trying to do too much at one time which is making the company slip jus a little bit everyday. It'll still b many days until Sony finally does fall, and a new name will b on top. Possibly the boys from Redmond.. Microsoft.

cc2k
20-03-2006, 10:38 AM
Oh great! Thats all Sony needs! Oh well, sony still gonna beat XBox 360, no matter what(Unless werehouse burns down)

mistA.WEEd
20-03-2006, 10:27 PM
Well actually, the way things are now with the delay and the questionable "how much will the console cost?" the xbox360 is still in the running, and has a chance to actually win this war. It's common sense to say that the PS3 will b on top this year again, only because it has had so much success in the pass that everyone starts to forget that everything has its weaknesses. The Xbox360 was rushed, but it's probably going to b on top for a good number of years IMO. This seems a little krazy, but many ppl say that the underdog, Nintendo Revolution, will b on top and sometimes i believe them and wonder wat it would be like in the future if that were to be true. You can say the PS3 will b on top, it's possible, but dont forget that this is the next generation and anything could happen :cool: :eek: :D

By the way, i kno cc2k said that the PS3 will beat the xbox360 and not b the best, but im only referring it to being on top because that's wat most ppl think.

Jay-
21-03-2006, 08:05 PM
'Big news ... Sony forced to take PS2 off shelves... Nintendo's fault! '

Hardly Big News, They Were Geting Old Anyways

cc2k
23-03-2006, 01:52 PM
The PS3 is as good as the XBox 360 (graphics wise) but its the hard-ware of the XBox 360 that has let it down. Too much damage has been dealt already to the XBox 360. As soon as the PS3 will go on sale, then most people will want one. People who already have a PS2 will most likly want one. People who have the XBox 360, some of them will want to compare them so they will but a PS3. Sure the XBox now has more games for it then the PS3, but the PS3 in a few years will have more games for the XBox.
Sorry for the ranting, but I am Pro-Playstation and Anti-XBox. Thats the way I will be.
The Rev however looks better than it used to.

mistA.WEEd
23-03-2006, 07:37 PM
"but the PS3 in a few years will have more games for the XBox."

By that do u mean ports?? or did u mean more games than the xbox??
Right now, both consoles pretty much have the same amount of games coming out.
I actually like all the companies (sony, microsoft, nintendo), but i have a Xbox360, so might as well have a say for it. If i had the money, i'd buy all three, but i dont so for now, it's the xbox360 ftw.

^^ yes the Rev really does look like a revolution for Nintendo. I might even consider getting it next :cool:

Scott croft
23-03-2006, 07:43 PM
"but the PS3 in a few years will have more games for the XBox."

By that do u mean ports?? or did u mean more games than the xbox??
Right now, both consoles pretty much have the same amount of games coming out.
I actually like all the companies (sony, microsoft, nintendo), but i have a Xbox360, so might as well have a say for it. If i had the money, i'd buy all three, but i dont so for now, it's the xbox360 ftw.

^^ yes the Rev really does look like a revolution for Nintendo. I might even consider getting it next :cool:

The Revolution's going to be spectacular.

cc2k
30-03-2006, 02:02 PM
Well, I remember playing super smash bros melee was funny, I couldn't stop laughing, getting blasted from the screen by a mine they put there earlier. This was for the gamecube, if I had a lot of money, I would get a gamecube and rev.