PDA

View Full Version : The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - Xbox/PC

KOILL
15-11-2007, 08:33 AM
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - Xbox/PC (Released 2002)

Man where has the time gone by? This game already seems to have turned into a classic! Released in May 2002, Morrowind seemed to fall into its own category of RPG's, by sporting a non-linear game experience that lets the player loose in a (approx) 10 square mile island.

The game begins with the player's character being set free by the emperor into a district of Morrowind (Morrowind is a country in the game's universe) called Vvardenfell. Without going into too much detail, the game does a quick character creation, in which you choose stats + bonuses, then small details of how to play as you progress through a couple of rooms. After that, you are literally set loose in 5 minutes from the time you start moving. At first, you don't really realize what you should do, but on the other hand, you realize you are free to do anything. You can (optionally) do the main quest, where you become the hero of the land and save the people from the big baddie that lives in the island's volcano. Or, you can join the local guilds that focus on a particular aspect of the gameplay (magic, combat, or stealth). You can even choose to become an assassin, or just go around and kill everyone you see. The sky is the limit in this game. If you choose to, you could just steal everyone's pillows and just make a pillow mountain in the middle of a town!

Now, this game really pushed the limits of the Xbox. The game doesn't run super-fantastic, so I would recommend to get it on PC if you can, since the requirements aren't much nowadays. The graphics are also really showings its age, but if you can get past that, then any RPG fan will certainly enjoy this game. The sound is great, and the musical score will leave you wanting to play the game every time you listen to some classical music on the radio.

Morrowind is a solid game, in which I've spent 300+ hours in total over the time I've had it. The only real downside, is that now new games have come out, it isn't as fun or new as it was when it was released, but that is just the nature of the industry. If you are into RPG's, then this will meet anyone's need to kill an afternoon.

Score : 8/10

http://www.gametab.com/images/ss/xbox/1382/box-l.jpg
Boxart for Xbox version.

http://members.shaw.ca/rado907/maps/morrowind_tn.jpg
A map of the land you're let loose on.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/images/art/mwgoty/goty_web02B.jpg
A temple guard, called an Ordinator. You can murder him and steal his armor if you wanted.[/CENTER]

Lightning Strike
15-11-2007, 08:43 AM
Great review, but your pics and score are in the middle, will Nin be alright with that?
This sounds like a bigger, better fable, and it sounds interesting how everything you do is optional, so you can become the hero, or leave it, great game by the sounds.

Gamer king
15-11-2007, 10:40 AM
good review but you can't kill every one unless you want to doom the world and the game kinda loses the fun aspect once you become a really good character because you can kill anything (including vivec which is fun). Trust me I know, an invincible person my character was with full deadric armor and items that were constant effect heal, I was so invincible. Invincible I was but the game was dead to me.

Nintengod
15-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Great review, but your pics and score are in the middle, will Nin be alright with that?
This sounds like a bigger, better fable, and it sounds interesting how everything you do is optional, so you can become the hero, or leave it, great game by the sounds.

I've edited the review so it's now "proper" :p

Good review though. I bought the game just a few weeks ago on Xbox. I agree that it suffers a little bit of frame-rate dropping, but the game is hugely ambitious and the world is rather beautiful and vast.

Many say this game is actually superior to Oblivian.

Talentz
15-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Wow this really looks really cool,now I'm definatly getting this game.

KOILL
15-11-2007, 07:24 PM
Go ahead and buy the it! It's been out for a long time, and to get it brand new is only $10, so you can find it for $3 used probably!

Nintengod
29-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Still not got to giving this game a proper go yet....I own the Xbox version.

kie_poolies
29-11-2007, 04:46 PM
good review, dont have an xbox so wont be getting this game (obviously) but i would if i had. it sounds like a really fun game

dazza07
29-11-2007, 05:41 PM
it is only £10 brand new on the pc and i will be buying it when possible.

KOILL
30-11-2007, 01:26 AM
The PC version would be the best. There are huge mod communities, because the game comes with a "level editor" where you can make your own expansion, basically.

Shooting Palanx
30-12-2008, 02:23 AM
I bought this game pre owned a couple of months ago, and after playing Fable, this game didn't have that big of an appeal or an effect on me, I played for a couple of hours than I stopped altogether.

Sadly, my brother cracked the CD for it, so yeah =/

Henaru
23-01-2009, 02:02 AM
OK how bad is this. I have this game on XBOX and the disk has a single, just1 scratch on it which stops me from ebtering one square of the map, or it crashes and my data is lost. This single square changes every time I load the game so I can never be sure if its safe to play or not. Just my luck really, but still a great game. If some aspects of Oblivion had been on this, it would have been liked more.

Orathac
23-01-2009, 02:17 PM
good game, the best way to play it, its on pc.
but its not as good as Daggerfall
nice review btw

richardhead
25-01-2009, 09:15 PM
A truly great game.

Shooting Palanx
26-01-2009, 03:31 AM
I just didn't like the graphics for it, but I guess given it's time it wasn't so bad.

I hated how their were too many options and consequences, such as picking up a book only to get penalised for stealing, which is even more annoying.

Disafect
15-04-2010, 06:58 AM
yup, this game is still awesome... next one out in 2012, or so they say

aussie_girl
16-02-2011, 08:16 AM
A good game but making potions is really annoying, combat is clumsy and there is so much damn walking, especially if you aren't a part of the Mage's Guild.

Sappy
24-02-2011, 02:45 AM
Combats awful, you will be standing there waving your sword around like a retarded caveman.

madbrawler
01-03-2011, 05:18 PM
I would say there are better games in the same genre :)

Cookiepeople
06-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Elder scrolls is possibly one of my fav games of all time!

DRK
06-03-2011, 08:54 PM
i was going to buy this yesterday, but im not to sure it would of been a wise decision. doesnt look appealing now!

zsxd45
11-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Decent Review, Plenty of detail etc.
Yeh, Good Job Mate

Morrowind just looks buggy, its one of those things that are classic but unsecure and easy to mod, it reminds me of the late 90's games.

kennetht04
11-03-2011, 08:32 PM
Nice review. I like how you've tried to squeeze lots of detail into such a little space, that's how I like my reviews, short and snappy. I do think that you could have structured it a little better though.

StridhTim
12-03-2011, 05:08 PM
This was a great addition to my breakfast, great review and a wonderful game ofcourse.

Deadspace2fan
13-03-2011, 04:01 PM
I am looking forward to this game coming out soon

otaku21
19-03-2011, 04:30 PM
I have some great memories about this game, which I played before so many time..

XxZoMbi3DogxX
09-04-2011, 08:33 PM
good review!

Rukaria
09-04-2011, 09:05 PM
I thought the review was a little vague, also at the end you should list the Pros and Cons.

xLegionx
11-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Anything elder scrolls is a good thing... nice review