PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Backwards Compatibility Problems

Triumph
25-04-2006, 03:03 PM
Rumor has it that Sony is having major problems with backwards compatibility on the PS3 in regards to PS2 software titles. They are using a form of emulation and some titles work, but Sony really feels they need the full complement of PS2 titles to be available in order to compete with the X-Box.

Out of curiosity, how important is backwards compatbility to you? Would it sway your decision to get a PS3 if you found out only half the PS2 games worked on it? Or if one of your favorite PS2 titles was not functional?

I do not know it would make much difference to me. I do not really play my PS2 that much any more, and any titles I have would soon be upgraded with comprable PS3 games. I would think for people with extensive libraries (ie Sony's best customers), it could be a problem.

mistA.WEEd
25-04-2006, 06:31 PM
It wouldnt really matter to me either, cuz i dont have a ps2. The really stupid thing tho, is that the ps3 games might only be able to play on each certain console so u cant buy used games or even BORROW a friend's game...

Scott croft
25-04-2006, 08:33 PM
I'm not botherd about Backwards compatability. Actually all I want is Guitar hero 2 on ps3.

anahunt
25-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Well, since I already have a ps2, and i don't have a HD TV, I guess backwards compatability isn't going to be the deciding factor for me. It'll be game selection and price to me.

Triumph
26-04-2006, 05:57 PM
It wouldnt really matter to me either, cuz i dont have a ps2. The really stupid thing tho, is that the ps3 games might only be able to play on each certain console so u cant buy used games or even BORROW a friend's game...

I had not heard that. I would think that would be a horrible blunder if they did that. I have always been a sony fan for the PS line. From PS1 to PS2 and now waiting on the PS3. They are making me wonder if I made a mistake sitting around waiting for the PS3 instead of trying out the 360.

I hope what you said is not true. I just think it would kill their software market significantly. The second-hand market is important to the viability of the games and it will lead to less players. I think the next real big frontier that has just been tapped for consoles is multiplayer experiences. Less players because of restrictions like games working on one machine, would limit the number of people you could play with, and that would be bad.

anahunt
26-04-2006, 06:38 PM
I have not heard that about playstation games. I think someone is joking with you. Used games are essential in the video game industry. They aren't going to launch a console, and say ok this costs $500, the games are all $60, and you HAVE to buy them new. And if your console is defective and we have to replace it? You're gonna need to buy your games all over again. Does that make sense at all?

randomdude
14-04-2007, 09:25 PM
It wouldnt matter to me either cos im not gettin a PS3 at its crap price

However i fink its a big letdown that maybe some of the greatest games ever on the PS2 might not work

Silent Sound
14-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Hey look how old this thread is.

04-26-2006 09:38 AM yes, that's old.

Please don't bump old topics.