PDA

View Full Version : Freedom Fighters - PS2, XBOX, PC

Punkster
23-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Freedom Fighters - PC, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube (2003)

>>Here is my video review on YouTube!<< (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiaMPH6lwTs)

Freedom Fighters is one of my all-time favourite games that I have played loads on the PS2 and am now in the process of replaying again with slightly better graphics on the PC.

Intro:
In this game, you play as an Average Joe plumber who lives in New York. The game is set in an alternate reality where the USSR won the race to building the first atomic bomb and dropped it on Berlin to end the Second World War (quite intriguing, eh?). The Soviet Union never collapsed and Communism spread all around the world until the USA was the last democratic country - (Americanized game or what? :p) So your Average Joe character experiences a Manhattan invasion from the Soviets and you're thrusted into guerrilla warfare, where you gradually become the leader of the resistance against the Communists invaders of New York.

Gameplay
This is a third person tactical shooter. Throughout most of the game, the main focus is you taking command of up to a dozen guerrilla soldiers. You can command them individually or as a group to attack/defend/follow/scout ahead, so squad work is very important. The commands for leading your squad are quite easy to follow. Although the game length is quite short (10 hours to complete on average), the quality of the gameplay more than makes up for it. It's a game you'll want to play again several times. The A.I. is good is pretty good and fun to fight. Your soldiers seem to be a lot smarter and better fighters than the enemies, but enemy soldiers also use typical warfare tactics such as flanking, tossing the occasional grenade, taking cover etc. After each section or portion of the game you complete, you get cutscenes of Russian televised news broad casted in the temporarily Soviet controlled New York. It is quite interesting to see the Russian News reporter dish out propaganda as dished out as the game progresses. There is a nice variety of weapons to pick up on the battlefield, ranging from assault rifles and shotguns to rocket launchers and molotov cocktails. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages, so you'll need to know when to use them effectively.

Presentation
Although not graphically amazing, the overall presentation of the game is satisfying, considering it's a game made in 2003. It looks good on all the console versions, and on PC you have the option to upscale the resolution and extra shadow effects.

Sound
The music to this game mainly consists of Russian choral chant which really gives an epic feel to the game and suits the gameplay well. Gunshot and explosion sounds are generally realistic sounding. Only downside to the audio is the poor Russian accents, but you can get over that easily.

Overall Score : 9.0/10

http://www.counterfrag.com/screenshots/freedom&#37;20fighters/1.jpg
Take command of your squad members.

http://i6.tinypic.com/5xsfh5e.jpg
Just one of the impressive street gunfights.

http://i4.tinypic.com/62p9owg.jpg
Use guerrilla tactics to drive out the Soviet invaders.

thebluesamurai
24-03-2008, 11:31 AM
I loved this game, and played it through several times.
only problem i foun was that you could get stuck in places very easily

Nazz
25-03-2008, 07:17 AM
Yeah I liked it, it did crash in a few spots and it was a little too short but still a decent game. Any news of a sequel?

Shooting Palanx
25-03-2008, 07:22 AM
I'll move this to the Reviews forum :p

Punkster
25-03-2008, 08:39 AM
thank you

Yeah I liked it, it did crash in a few spots and it was a little too short but still a decent game. Any news of a sequel?

Oh really, it worked perfectly fine for me on PC and PS2. Only problem was the PS2 controls were harder to use compared to mouse and keyboard.

There's been rumours about a sequel for ages but no real news about it has come out yet. If there is a sequel, I hope they keep the main mechanics and focus on improving the game play rather than just making the graphics really good so that it can't be played properly on a normal spec PC.

Nazz
25-03-2008, 09:02 AM
thank you

Oh really, it worked perfectly fine for me on PC and PS2. Only problem was the PS2 controls were harder to use compared to mouse and keyboard.

There's been rumours about a sequel for ages but no real news about it has come out yet. If there is a sequel, I hope they keep the main mechanics and focus on improving the game play rather than just making the graphics really good so that it can't be played properly on a normal spec PC.

I only borrowed it from my uncle and it was probably his fault it crashed, he doesn't take care of his games :p. A sequel would be awesome. I'm not sure how it would play out but the first game was great and I'd love to see a sequel.

Shooting Palanx
25-03-2008, 04:20 PM
My parents bought this game from a second hand store, and from what I played, I thought this game was great, I mean the whole underground thing, and lol at the raising the flag.

I got stuck most of the time, in the level where you had to run across the streets, it was pretty difficult, easy to die, but overall fun.

I played the XBOX version, and it was great, until it crashed Lol.

Punkster
25-03-2008, 06:21 PM
haha you're not supposed to run across the street. there's a passage on the left where you can go from the balcony, etc.

but anyway, it's a good game.

Shooting Palanx
27-03-2008, 05:48 AM
Yeah realized that Lol, everytime I'd run into the street, I'd get hit by snipers lol.

Punkster
27-03-2008, 10:28 AM
oh you mean that bit. haha, i had to read a walkthrough to understand how to get past that bit. couldn't work it out myself.

Shooting Palanx
29-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Lol, you had to run under the tunnel and kill the guys there, and sneak into the police station car park, and into the station itself to raise the flag :p

I would have done the walkthrough but meh, not too keen on "cheating" jokes :D

Review is pretty cool btw, but man there were so many areas where you'd get stuck in the game you know.

spike2937
29-03-2008, 04:49 PM
i loved this game! :D

Shooting Palanx
29-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Sweet :D

What did you like about it in particular?

spike2937
29-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Sweet :D

What did you like about it in particular?

it was just easy to start playing, and having a squad was cool :D

multiplayer was also amazing
i spent so many hours with a friend on that :P

:D

Shooting Palanx
30-03-2008, 06:42 AM
Gah, weren't you lucky :p

I played a bit of multiplayer as well with my brother, I loved using the grenades, and realized there were some parts of different levels that required a bit of thinking strategy wise.

Punkster
30-03-2008, 04:49 PM
it's a shame that the makers of the game did not make the multiplayer playable online. that would have been cool, to have skirmishes against random players with your squads.

Shooting Palanx
31-03-2008, 05:05 AM
That would have been so cool, but I don't fancy the online of XBOX or anything, not too into spending money and what not.

Punkster
31-03-2008, 08:48 AM
but ti would have been nice to just be able to host your own game across the internet with at least another person or maybe a game with 4 people playing conquest type games.

i've tried the multiplayer against my sister and little cousin but they were both really crap, which i why online multiplayer should be there. So you can have fun and maybe even get a challenge of playing against someone who is also interested in the same game as you.

Shooting Palanx
31-03-2008, 02:10 PM
I wouldn't call myself a uber gamer, but I was pretty decent at it, it was pretty easy to play, the controls were kind of confusing at first, it was one of the first times I've ever played the XBOX lol.

01-04-2008, 04:36 AM
Gah. I have this game. It's confusing at first, so I adapted and learned to mash to smash.

Shooting Palanx
01-04-2008, 07:09 AM
Cool ^^

What particular level did you like?

I rather enjoyed the one where you had to go to the fire department, to save the liutennant.

Punkster
01-04-2008, 08:18 AM
that level's frustrating on the hardest difficulty.

My fave level would have to be the last one. I love charging down the middle towards the base and seeing a whole mob of American rioters going crazy at a guy with a machine gun with loads of bulletproof armour.

UberDae
01-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Good review. Enjoyed the game - especially the multiplayer even if it was a bit imbalanced.

Americans where obv way better than soviet.

Dae.

Shooting Palanx
01-04-2008, 01:37 PM
The story was weird lol, well weird enough for the soviets to start taking over the world >.>

In all honesty, I never did beat the game, I only did it up to the level where we had to run to the hotels, to collect the weapons and grenades and stuff.

Also, welcome back Dae :D

Punkster
01-04-2008, 10:56 PM
the story was very americanized, probly coz the makers of the game wanted to appeal to American gamers and their pride for freedom and collective hatred of communism from the former soviet union.

the backstory is kind of interesting in some ways though. it makes you wonder how different the world would be today if it was the Russians who developed the atomic bomb first, beating the Americans.

Shooting Palanx
02-04-2008, 03:36 PM
I'd assume the world would be in peril, the funny thing is, that the main character was a mere plumber as well as his brother lol, and were one of the lucky ones who survived the attacks on the city.

Punkster
02-04-2008, 03:42 PM
yes it was rather strange and farfetched that a regular plumber with no military training suddenly became this elite resistance fighter and acquired the combat skills to take on hordes of well-trained Soviet soldiers.

It's all part of a game i suppose so it can be forgiven for it's good gameplay.

Shooting Palanx
02-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Yeah lol, the game play was sooo cool.

The one thing I was worried about, is my team mates dying and I had no medical kits, which was always a bother, considering that you needed them in most of those missions where you had to survive quite a bit to complete the missions.

eltonjohn24
16-04-2008, 06:48 PM
The first time this game was introduce to me by my friends, i thought it was the same game of rebellion and gangster, but when i played it. I could not stop already. From the first mission unto the next mission. The russians are every where and you have to be tricky to outwit the enemies.

Shooting Palanx
17-04-2008, 06:02 AM
Yeah, especially that sniper level, many a times did I die, before realizing that.

eltonjohn24
17-04-2008, 04:11 PM
I hope there would be a sequel to this game. This game's rocks from the first time ive played it. It is very hard to fin does medicine kits. I love to use the sniper rifle but sometime i would be out of bullets

Shooting Palanx
17-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Sniper is always good, if you have a good reaction speed, or a reflex, which I need :p

eltonjohn24
21-04-2008, 10:14 PM
This game is very interesting...the russians are everywhere...You should have your guerilla tactics when you are attacking or operating a mission!!!Their snipers are very good too :)

Shooting Palanx
22-04-2008, 06:57 AM
The game is fun, but to be honest, I only ever played like 5 of the levels, the CD just wouldn't work after that.

Punkster
22-04-2008, 07:12 AM
The game is fun, but to be honest, I only ever played like 5 of the levels, the CD just wouldn't work after that.

perhaps try a no-cd crack, seeing as you bought the game already, it's not wrong to do so.

eltonjohn24
22-04-2008, 04:09 PM
i played it again this time....it is very best to surprise the enemies or stalk them and kill them by surprise or by a molotov bomb...Its nice to see them burning.

nepenthe4
20-05-2008, 11:28 AM
i played through it again a couple of weeks ago this was simply an amazingly fun game to play:)

LyndonJJ
27-05-2008, 02:49 AM
Really 9/10?
It was good but not that good
Nice review tho, cheers

Punkster
28-05-2008, 04:01 PM
i just created my first game video review. it's not very good, but i tried my best in the time i had.

here's the link to the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiaMPH6lwTs)

it's basically everything i've already written, but i read it out and added gameplay footage. this was just practise to see if i could make a review. i might make one for Half Life 2: the Orange Box, once i've completed episode 1 and 2, and don't have anything better to do. hopefully, it'd be better than this one.

TeddyNamek
02-07-2008, 02:25 AM
I bought this game from a SH shop ages ages x1000 ago, and i played like, 4 levels, really enjoyed it, then it stopped working. (N)

Shooting Palanx
02-07-2008, 02:29 AM
i just created my first game video review. it's not very good, but i tried my best in the time i had.

here's the link to the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiaMPH6lwTs)

it's basically everything i've already written, but i read it out and added gameplay footage. this was just practise to see if i could make a review. i might make one for Half Life 2: the Orange Box, once i've completed episode 1 and 2, and don't have anything better to do. hopefully, it'd be better than this one.

It wasn't bad, lol.

Liked the accent though :)

Soviet xD

I have the game on the XBOX btw, and will probably look for a pre owned version of it, in my local game store.