PDA

View Full Version : Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games - Nintendo Wii

Nintengod
30-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games - Nintendo Wii (Released November 2007)

What a turn up. Mario and Sonic together, in the same game! Who would have thought all those years ago, during the early 90s when everyone was debating who was better.....Nintendo's Mario or Sega's Sonic. The suggestion of the two protaganists appearing alongside each other in the same video game would have led to instant incarceration at a mental institution, complete with straight jacket.

Times change though.....SEGA screwed up, and now relying on Nintendo to save them by allowing Sega to sell their games on Nintendo's popular system and in this case working WITH Ninty to create a sports game that utilises decades of popular Nintendo and Sega characters.

This Olympic licensed game (based on this years Beijing olympics) is developed by Sega primarily, but with input from Nintendo, including the project being overseen and supervised by legendary Mario and Zelda creator Shigeru Miyamoto. As a result, this game is a solid, fun, olympic based game and similar to what you might expect. Ie shaking the Wii-mote about to go faster, throw further etc. It works pretty well, for example the 100m incorporates the Wii-mote and nunchuck, and you motion your arms as if you were running.

The game includes about 20 Olympic events, included the aforementioned 100m, as well as 110m hurdles, rowing, fencing, shooting, swimming and field events like Javelin. There are 16 of our favourite Nintendo and Sega characters in here like Mario, Luigi, Sonic, Bowser and Eggman, each with their own unique skills. Sonic for example is extremely fast, but is weaker in other area's to the well balanced Mario or Luigi. Whilst Bowser is slow, but very strong so ideal for power events like fencing or javelin.

This game is at its strongest as a multiplayer title, allowing up to 4 players to compete, and in some events like 100m, simulataneously. Also this is available on Nintendo's Wi-Fi network, but I've not tried that out just yet. May give it a go this afternoon!

Overall, a decent title, its also available on Nintendo DS for those interested, and although the game is a little shallow, its also a right giggle with friends. Recommended.

Score : 8/10

http://www.catalogowii.com/images/mario_sonic.jpg

http://powet.tv/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/mario-sonic-olympics_post_banner.jpg

http://www.mywii.com.au/img/game/Mario-and-Sonic-at-the-Olympic-Games-6.jpg

http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/5462/2h/images.gamezone.com/screens/32/1/73/s32173_wii_26.jpg

Shooting Palanx
31-03-2008, 05:07 AM
Nice Review Nin :D

I think when writing a review though, that you should approach with a Neutral feeling of the game, for instance the part where you wrote about Sega screwing up and having to rely on Nintendo, which I myself think is partly true, but others might find offensive (Sega lovers :p)

I saw the commercial for this game, and it looked good.

Nintengod
31-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Nice Review Nin :D

I think when writing a review though, that you should approach with a Neutral feeling of the game, for instance the part where you wrote about Sega screwing up and having to rely on Nintendo, which I myself think is partly true, but others might find offensive (Sega lovers :p)

I saw the commercial for this game, and it looked good.

Er, Sega DID screw up, even the biggest Sega fan knew that....it had nothing to do with the quality of their games, but massively poor business decisions. My comment wasn't a Nintendo fanboy one, but just a statement of facts. Do you think that whilst Sega were on "par" with Nintendo back in the early 1990s, they were thinking about one day writing games for their arch rivals console??? ;)

Also, I praised the game.....gave it 8/10.....and its MADE by Sega. So i'm hardly being harsh! :p

Nazz
31-03-2008, 12:39 PM
I hated it when I played it lol, just thought it was another mini-game collection.

Shooting Palanx
31-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Er, Sega DID screw up, even the biggest Sega fan knew that....it had nothing to do with the quality of their games, but massively poor business decisions. My comment wasn't a Nintendo fanboy one, but just a statement of facts. Do you think that whilst Sega were on "par" with Nintendo back in the early 1990s, they were thinking about one day writing games for their arch rivals console??? ;)

Also, I praised the game.....gave it 8/10.....and its MADE by Sega. So i'm hardly being harsh! :p

That's fair, I suppose :D

8/10 is more than an adequate score for a game of this calibur, I'll admit I'm not a huge sports game fan, but with Mario and Sonic in one game, even I know that screams uber.

eltonjohn24
17-04-2008, 05:49 PM
I love the strength and the speed of light quickness of sonic but if you put mario around him that would be another story. So how come did the developer came up with the idea to put up this two together in an olympic game? But i Love the idea, keep it up...create also may more team ups.

bullet137
17-04-2008, 07:57 PM
I played this game for briefly it was a pretty fun game to play with mates but some of the games are just tedious. For example the shooting game with the 8 rounds just go boring fast and the fencing game is frustrating. It's pretty fun although I'm just not massively into the Wii, all the games seem pretty similar (the games i've played anyway). Probably going to get slated for saying that but heyho.

Nintengod
18-04-2008, 05:36 PM
I played this game for briefly it was a pretty fun game to play with mates but some of the games are just tedious. For example the shooting game with the 8 rounds just go boring fast and the fencing game is frustrating. It's pretty fun although I'm just not massively into the Wii, all the games seem pretty similar (the games i've played anyway). Probably going to get slated for saying that but heyho.

Some of the events on this game aren't all that great, but the good ones make up for it. This game is very much a multiplayer game....if it were 1 player, it would score 4/10.

As for the Wii.....well you can hardly say that Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess or Metroid Prime 3 are similar games. I think the Wii has the mixture of fun multiplayer games, and already brilliant 1 player titles to give it the edge. Ultimately, thats why people are disinterested in the PS3 and 360 - it tends to cater only really for shoot em up fans, FPS.

VideoKing
19-04-2008, 12:36 AM
I have the game & to me it is to confusing because you have to many buttons to push at the same time.

Technician
19-04-2008, 01:16 PM
^
^
He is right

bullet137
20-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Some of the events on this game aren't all that great, but the good ones make up for it. This game is very much a multiplayer game....if it were 1 player, it would score 4/10.

As for the Wii.....well you can hardly say that Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess or Metroid Prime 3 are similar games. I think the Wii has the mixture of fun multiplayer games, and already brilliant 1 player titles to give it the edge. Ultimately, thats why people are disinterested in the PS3 and 360 - it tends to cater only really for shoot em up fans, FPS.

You're probably right. I don't own a Wii myself and have only played sports wii olympics rayman minigames and mario party. Which are all similar games, so I guess thats where I get my opinion from. I'm sure if I played all the other games I'd have a different opinion.

Nintengod
20-04-2008, 11:43 AM
You're probably right. I don't own a Wii myself and have only played sports wii olympics rayman minigames and mario party. Which are all similar games, so I guess thats where I get my opinion from. I'm sure if I played all the other games I'd have a different opinion.

Mario Galaxy is really something else, and worth the purchase of a Wii alone.

Deverill
22-04-2008, 05:49 PM
I think the best game team up would be Pacman and Mrs Pacman vs the Space Invaders ship and the Asteroids ship XD =D

Assasins Creed Bloke Vs The Prince of Persia.

Half-Life Vs Halo.

Street Fighter Characters Vs Tekken.

Or you could mix games e.g.

The Sims - Mario edition!

XD

P-Sleva
22-04-2008, 05:59 PM
This game is crap, mind you for the Wii, the graphics are pretty good.

Nintengod
22-04-2008, 06:03 PM
This game is crap, mind you for the Wii, the graphics are pretty good.

What a bitter anti-nintendo thing to say. The game isn't crap, sure its not perfect, but its a multiplayer game that can be a great deal of fun.

As for the graphics - again who cares. Yes, i know its the only thing the PS3 has, even though its graphics are inferior to the 360s, but we all know that graphics mean very little in determining how good a game is.

P-Sleva
22-04-2008, 06:22 PM
I felt like my wrists were going to fall off after playing the game for 10 min. The controls were difficult, and the events were tiresome. It lost all replayability after going through the events 1 time. It did have a good varity of charachters however, and the graphics were good for the Wii. Don't bring the PS3 into this topic, it is getting old. That console is made for big boys. Mabey when you grow up Nin, you can play too!

Nintengod
22-04-2008, 06:59 PM
I felt like my wrists were going to fall off after playing the game for 10 min. The controls were difficult, and the events were tiresome. It lost all replayability after going through the events 1 time. It did have a good varity of charachters however, and the graphics were good for the Wii. Don't bring the PS3 into this topic, it is getting old. That console is made for big boys. Mabey when you grow up Nin, you can play too!

Oh dear, this is why PS3 fanboys get the worst reputation for being juvenile morons!! :rolleyes:

You need friends to get the most out of Mario and Sonic at the Olympics. No wonder you detested it! :D

Wiibertine
22-04-2008, 08:06 PM

Big boys you say.

You got tired playing this game..... IRONYYYYY

P-Sleva
22-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Oh dear, this is why PS3 fanboys get the worst reputation for being juvenile morons!! :rolleyes:

You need friends to get the most out of Mario and Sonic at the Olympics. No wonder you detested it! :D

I have no issues in the friends dept. Let's stay on topic tho, do you really enjoy this game?

Nintengod
22-04-2008, 10:34 PM
I have no issues in the friends dept. Let's stay on topic tho, do you really enjoy this game?

Yeah, no friends = no issues :D

Yes, the game is good. Sure as a multiplayer game, it holds little value, but the same applies to Wii Sports and older classic games like the Super Bomberman series. I prefer playing games with mates. If i wanted to play lonely 1 player games, i'd play Fable....but really, nothing compares playing with friends, REAL FRIENDS (not online freaks) in the same room! Thats why the wii is so good.

Wiibertine
22-04-2008, 10:35 PM
In single player it's as dull as an FPS game.

Multiplayer is when it becomes Fun. VERY fun.

P-Sleva
23-04-2008, 12:00 AM
Yeah, no friends = no issues :D

Yes, the game is good. Sure as a multiplayer game, it holds little value, but the same applies to Wii Sports and older classic games like the Super Bomberman series. I prefer playing games with mates. If i wanted to play lonely 1 player games, i'd play Fable....but really, nothing compares playing with friends, REAL FRIENDS (not online freaks) in the same room! Thats why the wii is so good.

I agree (about the multi player)that is why Rockband is so good.

♥Tiffany♥
23-04-2008, 09:43 AM
Nice review, well done, it's a very well written review =]

Booma
07-05-2008, 09:03 AM
I have the game & to me it is to confusing because you have to many buttons to push at the same time.
It's an Olympics game, thus of course it will be a button mashing fest. It has always been.

Freeze
07-05-2008, 04:25 PM
In single player it's as dull as an FPS game.

Multiplayer is when it becomes Fun. VERY fun.

That just about raps it up.

@ Booma, yeah remember back in the Track & Field days, button mashing at it's best. I always used to put a sock over my hand so I didn't hurt my fingers.

rwhe1000000
18-05-2008, 03:47 PM
thanks man for thid topic

nazura08
19-05-2008, 04:14 AM
Nice review, well done !!!

deeds
28-05-2008, 09:24 PM
You gotta love it, i mean, as he said mario AND sonic on the same game, its beautiful