PDA

View Full Version : Mario Kart Wii - Nintendo Wii

Nintengod
29-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Mario Kart Wii - Nintendo Wii (2008)

This is the REAL review, rather than my joke review before I even played the game a week or so ago, where I dismissed the game and gave it a measly 2/10 score! The good news is that this game WILL get higher than 2/10.

So Nintendo have brought out their latest version of their 16 year old "Kart" franchise. My views on this series have been mixed. The original 1992 version on the SNES was absolutely perfect, flawless in every possible way. Then came the huge disappointment of Mario Kart 64 on Nintendo's N64, followed by the marginally better, but still flimsy Mario Kart Super Circuit on the GBA. We all thought Double Dash may be the game to re-ignite the passion of the series, but simply, it didn't. It was average.

However, the Nintendo DS version was actually rather splendid. It still fell someway short of the original (link here (http://www.gamesforum.com/t9373-super-mario-kart-super-nintendo.html)to that review) but it was still a solid, fun racer with great multiplayer link up and online wifi play.

So Mario Kart DS gave us Mario Kart fanatics high expectations for its Wii edit. Motion controls with the steering wheel sounds awesome, doesn't it?? Well in truth....it IS pretty awesome as it happens. The steering wheel, which is fundamentally a bit of plastic, houses the Wiimote and is nice and comfy to hold and light. Controls are hugely responsive and within about half an hour of play, it becomes natural.

Nintendo have given users the option to use a gamecube pad or nunchuck....but frankly, its pointless, and makes Mario Kart Wii essentially Mario Kart Double Dash 2. If you buy this game, USE THE WHEEL. It makes this game stand out from Mario Kart DD....otherwise, its effectively the same thing.

Ok, so lets pick out the faults. Well, graphically, its what we expected....ie nothing incredible. In truth, its not really a step in front of Mario Kart Double Dash. Same with the track design, its essentially the same thing....big wide tracks, nothing too taxing. What is hugely frustrating though is its one-player mode. As with most Mario Karts, you are penalised for being GOOD and leading the race. Your race will constantly be disrupted by red shells, blue shells, lightning strikes etc etc. So in the end, you resent leading the race, as the flow of racing is always ruined by these.

Ultimately, where all the Mario Karts went wrong compared to the original SNES version, is the track design, and that feeling of really putting in the fastest laps to win. You want to lead the race in SMK, and you want to lap the backmarkers. In the Wii version, that never happens as the tracks are just too long, and all 12 racers are too bunched together.....that and the fact you only get 3 laps instead of SMKs 5 laps. Super Mario Kart was a raw, kart racers game. This isn't, and is a bit chaotic.

To sum this up though. Mario Kart Wii IS a pretty fun title, and just what the Wii needs. It is ESSENTIAL that you use the wheel otherwise you're just buying an old Gamecube game. What also of course makes this great, is the online modes. Playing against friends online is a real hoot, and what ultimately saves this game from being really average. Buy it, play it online, use the wheel, and don't worry too much about the fact that its not much as a 1 player game. Oh, and buy Super Mario Kart on the VC when its FINALLY issued! :D

Oh, and it has bikes in it to. Big deal, still the same game!

Score : 7.5/10

http://www.voig.com/l.c.bin/F/8734996/Mario_Kart_Wii.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x45/FuriousDolphin/Peachonbike.jpg

Apocalypse
29-04-2008, 03:05 AM
so are there any different tracks, new characters, etc?

Nintengod
29-04-2008, 09:07 AM
so are there any different tracks, new characters, etc?

32 tracks, 16 are new, 16 are from previous games....i'm a bit disappointed there aren't more tracks really (old and new). They managed to squeeze 32 tracks on a tiny Nintendo DS cartridge.

There are a few new characters....but like previous iterations of Mario Kart, AGAIN except for Super Mario Kart.....they all drive pretty similar.

Gamer king
29-04-2008, 09:25 AM
I reckon it deserved an eight. Because it does bring a lot of new ideas to the franchise and I did quite like the frantic racing in the last lap with everyone doing everything to win, if you notice the people at the back get all the good pick ups enabling the lead kart to change constantly. Anyway good review NintenGod.

Nintengod
29-04-2008, 10:02 AM
I reckon it deserved an eight. Because it does bring a lot of new ideas to the franchise and I did quite like the frantic racing in the last lap with everyone doing everything to win, if you notice the people at the back get all the good pick ups enabling the lead kart to change constantly. Anyway good review NintenGod.

I am not sure it does bring anything new other than the motion controls, which IS a great addition, oh and the superb online features. Ok, so there are a few new characters, nothing special, and there is some rather dubious power ups like that lightning cloud and the super mushroom....but this doesn't add a great deal to it.

As a multiplayer game, yes the frantic racing in the last lap is great, but its annoying and frustrating in the 1 player game. You can never lap people, you can never build up a lead as you are always punished for it. Seems that you are never more than a few seconds ahead of last place even if you win convincingly!!!

One good thing to say about it, is the removal of the snaking technique which plagued online Mario Kart DS. So races online are now VERY even.

the night walker
01-05-2008, 03:03 PM
im not to sure dudes this looks like the same game to me dudes i will still buy it and play it but iv read lots of review and none of them have given me the baisses to buy it that i am looking for so at the mo i dont think it should score more than 5

Rawgasm
02-05-2008, 05:53 PM
[QUOTE=Nintengod;112417]32 tracks, 16 are new, 16 are from previous games....i'm a bit disappointed there aren't more tracks really (old and new). [QUOTE]

To bad the old tracks (apart from N64) are the ones everybody hate, i mean c'mon Peach Beach? Yoshi Falls? yes they are in it

argh quoting didn't work

Nintengod
02-05-2008, 05:55 PM
To bad the old tracks (apart from N64) are the ones everybody hate, i mean c'mon Peach Beach? Yoshi Falls? yes they are in it

The N64 tracks have always been pretty rubbish and uninspiring. The SNES ones are the best, but they've once again butchered them for modern consumption, by making them as wide as a motorway.

bakerguy88
19-06-2008, 10:17 PM
i agree with the score :)

flameboy118
19-06-2008, 10:29 PM
i think the ds version rocks.... but the snes one is sposed to be the best- either way, 64 was horrible, eg moo moo farm was just a wide field of mud really

Nazz
20-06-2008, 06:40 AM
i think the ds version rocks

My cousin has the DS version, I think it's pretty good too, easy to get used to.

Nintengod
20-06-2008, 07:42 AM
My cousin has the DS version, I think it's pretty good too, easy to get used to.

The DS version is really good, although let down online by people "over snaking" on the straights. It's fine to use the powersliding technique for a boost of speed round a corner.....but snaking on straights to gain speed spoils the pure racing nature of the game.

Mario Kart Wii adjusts this and removing the straight line snaking.

One thing that Mario Kart Wii and DS lose over the original SNES version, is the tight handling and track design quality. Tracks are far too wide in the DS and Wii versions.

flameboy118
20-06-2008, 08:27 AM
The DS version is really good, although let down online by people "over snaking" on the straights. It's fine to use the powersliding technique for a boost of speed round a corner.....but snaking on straights to gain speed spoils the pure racing nature of the game.

Mario Kart Wii adjusts this and removing the straight line snaking.

One thing that Mario Kart Wii and DS lose over the original SNES version, is the tight handling and track design quality. Tracks are far too wide in the DS and Wii versions.

yeah i hate snaking.....

as for what they lose over the snes version, tbh your being slightly contradictory (only slightly). because your saying mario kart should be about more difficult (ie less wide), less ridiculous tracks (none of the original tracks have te same level of ridiculousness as the new ones) and should be about driving well and putting in the best laps..... youve more or less just described mario kart as a simulation game there, which I know you hate.

Nintengod
20-06-2008, 08:37 AM
yeah i hate snaking.....

as for what they lose over the snes version, tbh your being slightly contradictory (only slightly). because your saying mario kart should be about more difficult (ie less wide), less ridiculous tracks (none of the original tracks have te same level of ridiculousness as the new ones) and should be about driving well and putting in the best laps..... youve more or less just described mario kart as a simulation game there, which I know you hate.

Eh? Mario Kart (SNES) has a totally arcade feel to it. I'm not being contradictory at all, the SNES version just felt better and more playable. The controls were tighter, and the tracks were faster and more fun. The Wii and DS tracks were wide and allowed a high margin for error.

I think flameboy perhaps needs form of psychiatric drugs, if he thinks that i'm making Super Mario Kart into being some sort of simulator! LOL!

flameboy118
20-06-2008, 08:52 AM
uh quit insulting me (and everyone else) becuase you cant argue. i didnt say it was a simulator, im just saying you wished the actual driving was a little harder and it was more about putting in good laps than random powerups- which would make it more like a simulation than it already is

Nintengod
20-06-2008, 08:57 AM
uh quit insulting me (and everyone else) becuase you cant argue. i didnt say it was a simulator, im just saying you wished the actual driving was a little harder and it was more about putting in good laps than random powerups- which would make it more like a simulation than it already is

Ummm, simulation has nothing to do with it! Its monkeys and plumbers on bikes and karts, and its fast and hugely unrealistic in its controls no matter WHAT version of mario kart. It's pure arcade racing, and the word "simulation" doesn't even come into the equation.

I've destroyed you time and time again with arguments. It's an insult to my own intelligence to argue with such a narrow minded minion like yourself. This is another one that you've tried to turn into a debate, and lost. I'm actually embarrassed for you.

flameboy118
20-06-2008, 09:05 AM
!!! you cant just state youve beaten me and embarrassed me. what happens is:

me/P-sleva/joeeda/*anyone* makes an argument

you simply state than galaxy is the best thing ever

me/P-sleva/joeeda/*anyone* argues why that isnt true

you state that weve been embarassed/lost the argument years ago/cant articulate without ever really arguing

again, i never said mario kart was a simulation, i just said that making the actual driving harder and making it the driving that matters not just random powerups is bringing it closer to simulation

Nintengod
20-06-2008, 09:09 AM
!!! you cant just state youve beaten me and embarrassed me. what happens is:

me/P-sleva/joeeda/*anyone* makes an argument

you simply state than galaxy is the best thing ever

me/P-sleva/joeeda/*anyone* argues why that isnt true

you state that weve been embarassed/lost the argument years ago/cant articulate without ever really arguing

again, i never said mario kart was a simulation, i just said that making the actual driving harder and making it the driving that matters not just random powerups is bringing it closer to simulation

The power ups in Super Mario Kart were better than in the DS and Wii versions. The balance was far better, and why they ever removed the feather power up is beyond me.

P-Sleva/Joedahoee/Flameboy are all insecure and juvenile Sony fanboys. Arguing with them admittedly is futile, but oh so easy to wind up. Although having said all that, its getting boring debating with you lot now.

I guess when you have nothing else in your life other than boring videogames, then you're bound to be a bore.

flameboy118
20-06-2008, 09:17 AM
again, just insulting us.... we're all insecure juvenile sony fanboys? right..... is it that we're easy to wind up or that youre really good at annoying people?

Nintengod
20-06-2008, 09:19 AM
again, just insulting us.... we're all insecure juvenile sony fanboys? right..... is it that we're easy to wind up or that youre really good at annoying people?

I only tend to annoy immature idiots.

flameboy118
20-06-2008, 09:28 AM
so what, joeeda and P-sleva are immature kids too? or just me. again, who seems immature here, is it the one lashing out against anyone who has a different opinion to them

Nintengod
20-06-2008, 09:30 AM
so what, joeeda and P-sleva are immature kids too? or just me. again, who seems immature here, is it the one lashing out against anyone who has a different opinion to them

Oh isn't that just the most hypocritical thing you will ever say!!! :eek: :D You with your "noob" comments, and your dissing of ANY review that dare give MGS 4 less than 100%!!!! :rolleyes:

flameboy118
20-06-2008, 09:34 AM
whatever. i have better things to do. had enough of arguing with you, calling anyone who isnt you geeky, immature and not credible. and yet you dont know any of us, just like you havent played mgs4 or crysis

solidsteel
20-06-2008, 09:36 AM
now now be nice they need to learn lol

VTDIZ.COM
20-06-2008, 10:23 AM
I want this game!!! It is necessary urgently wii to buy:D

Nintengod
20-06-2008, 10:44 AM
I want this game!!! It is necessary urgently wii to buy:D

The game is a phenomenom. It's sold nearly 6m copies (on just one console) in the space of 10 weeks! Nintendo seem to be invincible at the moment.

Gamer king
20-06-2008, 10:56 AM
I still trying to gasp the fact that whenever Nintendo release a new console its basically the same with a new gimmick or two to keep us entertained. Nintendo needs more dramatic innovations other than motion sensitivity.

flameboy118
20-06-2008, 11:01 AM
@nin only because they cater to non-gamers. they dont make great games to sell, they make things like nintendogs, brain training and sell themselves out for money. mgs on the other hand doesnt care that non-gamers and non-mgs fans wont like it, it just pursues his artistic vision and makes a game, without comprimise, for the fans. and you cant even see ninty selling out and making non-games to sell loads

Nintengod
20-06-2008, 11:03 AM
I still trying to gasp the fact that whenever Nintendo release a new console its basically the same with a new gimmick or two to keep us entertained. Nintendo needs more dramatic innovations other than motion sensitivity.

Oh yes, because Sony and Microsoft are brimming with originality!! Their consoles have now basically become mid-spec PC's, and the games coming out on both these machines are sequels to long associated franchises....ie MGS 4, GTA 4, Resident Evil 5, FFXIII, Elder Scrolls IV, Halo 3, COD 4, Guitar Hero 3 etc etc

I'm not saying Nintendo haven't brought out the franchises, but at least they dared to be different by focusing on the controller and the way games are played, other than simply putting in a powerful PC graphics card and continuing with where the PS2/Xbox and gaming in general left of.

Nintendo should be applauded for introducing new things. Wii Fit, Wii Sports, the Brain Training games, Nintendogs, motion based games, touch screen games........and that is ultimately why they are selling more than the PS3 and 360 by a country mile. So what if it actually interests people who not previously were won over by videogames?? You make it sound like its a bad thing, which it isn't. I've been playing videogames for years, and its nice to see something fresh and new, and the Wii is that. "Non gamers" is a pathetic and geeky thing to say.....people who play the Wii now are into gaming because of it, so to call them non-gamers is actually inaccurate, as they are actually PLAYING GAMES!! :p

@nin only because they cater to non-gamers. they dont make great games to sell, they make things like nintendogs, brain training and sell themselves out for money. mgs on the other hand doesnt care that non-gamers and non-mgs fans wont like it, it just pursues his artistic vision and makes a game, without comprimise, for the fans. and you cant even see ninty selling out and making non-games to sell loads

Do you know how creepy, patronising and boring you sound? "Artistic vision" - its a ****ing videogame with a laughing octopus and people called liquid and solid snake in!! We're not talking about anything serious here!!! :rolleyes:

flameboy118
20-06-2008, 11:04 AM
all those things in your last sentance are just sell-outs made to sell to non-gamers. true sony and m$ just make mid-range pcs, hence why i prefer pcs, but at least they dont stop focusing on good games and start focusing on voting channels and non-games like brain training and wii fit

EDIT: oh and yes mgs4 is artistic and brilliant. how did you find the boss battles which are agreed to be the best ever? oh wait. you havent even played it

Gamer king
20-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Nintengod, Nintendo are the only company known to tread old ground to the point where it is so used it gets boring. At least Micro and sony have new games.

Nintengod
20-06-2008, 11:12 AM
all those things in your last sentance are just sell-outs made to sell to non-gamers. true sony and m$ just make mid-range pcs, hence why i prefer pcs, but at least they dont stop focusing on good games and start focusing on voting channels and non-games like brain training and wii fit

EDIT: oh and yes mgs4 is artistic and brilliant. how did you find the boss battles which are agreed to be the best ever? oh wait. you havent even played it

"Non-gamers" - oh dear lord, still trying to convince yourself you are some sort of gaming elite, and there is a hierachy??? :rolleyes:

Nintendo haven't lost any credibility, as they are still churning out evolutions of their franchises like Mario Galaxy, Zelda etc. They are moving those forward well though with motion controls and touch screen for the DS versions.

Introducing touch screen and motion controls wasn't "selling out", it was Nintendo thinking up something new to a stagnant industry that was just seeing sequels churned out, nothing new or innovative with each passing sequel other than higher resolution graphics.

Brain Training is on a games console, as is Wii Fit, they are videogames. Just because they don't have 90 minute cut scenes or a big bad boss battle with a man with a revolver who originally was named Revolver Ocelot (hideo, you have such imagination), doesn't make it any less of a game, you silly, immature little boy.

Like I said before, you make Nintendo out to be bad for getting people who previously thought videogames was for geeks, and making it seem "cool" and worth trying. It's people like you, flameboy, who give people who play videogames a bad name. Your condescending comments about people who buy Wii's and DS's just make you out to be a bigot.

flameboy118
20-06-2008, 11:19 AM
"Non-gamers" - oh dear lord, still trying to convince yourself you are some sort of gaming elite, and there is a hierachy??? :rolleyes:

Nintendo haven't lost any credibility, as they are still churning out evolutions of their franchises like Mario Galaxy, Zelda etc. They are moving those forward well though with motion controls and touch screen for the DS versions.

Introducing touch screen and motion controls wasn't "selling out", it was Nintendo thinking up something new to a stagnant industry that was just seeing sequels churned out, nothing new or innovative with each passing sequel other than higher resolution graphics.

Brain Training is on a games console, as is Wii Fit, they are videogames. Just because they don't have 90 minute cut scenes or a big bad boss battle with a man with a revolver who originally was named Revolver Ocelot, doesn't make it any less of a game, you silly, immature little boy.

Like I said before, you make Nintendo out to be bad for getting people who previously thought videogames was for geeks, and making it seem "cool" and worth trying. It's people like you, flameboy, who give people who play videogames a bad name. Your condescending comments about people who buy Wii's and DS's just make you out to be a bigot.

uh jesus christ... notice how i dont insult you...

ok, motion controls are a gimmick. they have only be used to good effect for non-games and casual games, they are pointless in the mario/zeldas of the world.

it is selling out by churning out brain training, then more brain training, sight training etc. lessons on how to cook, pilates lessons, these are not games, they are intended for non-gamers. its not because it doesnt have 90 minute cutscenes

franchises like zelda are getting old. neither wind waker, nor twiilight princess are better than ocarina, and they are rehases of the same thing. to nip the predictable mgs comment in the bud, mgs4 is nothing like the others (you havent even played it) and story and memorable gameplay and cutscene sequences keep things fresh anyway. again, im no fan of ps3/360, i think PCs are much better myself. i bought a wii on launch, and was hugely hyped and busy telling all sony fanboys how awesome the wii would be and how disulusioned everyone was with the ps3. and now, with the wii sucking, ive had to make a u-turn. but at least i admit when im wrong ;)

Nintengod
20-06-2008, 11:24 AM
uh jesus christ... notice how i dont insult you...

ok, motion controls are a gimmick. they have only be used to good effect for non-games and casual games, they are pointless in the mario/zeldas of the world.

it is selling out by churning out brain training, then more brain training, sight training etc. lessons on how to cook, pilates lessons, these are not games, they are intended for non-gamers. its not because it doesnt have 90 minute cutscenes

Motion controls are excellent idea, and work well, especially with Mario Galaxy and reasonably with Twilight Princess. No doubt that the Wii-exclusive Zelda will work wonders with the motion controls.

I can't think of one decent bowling videogame ever made, till Wii Sports came out, and that was down to the motion controls. You can actually have a LAUGH with Wii games like this.....you have fun, its actually sociable. You don't have to be bored to tears by long-winded, implausible storylines with naff characters.

How To Cook and Pilate Lessons are not games - agreed. But Brain Training is entertaining enough to be classified as a game, especially as it has mini-games in it. It also sells to people who've been playing videogames for decades, as well as introducing gaming to entirely new audiences. You seem to have such a problem with that.....oh dear, are the "noobs" getting to you? :rolleyes:

flameboy118
20-06-2008, 11:31 AM
uh.. so you cant hve a laugh with friends with singstar or rockband can you not? i really enjoy the 'having fun with friends on casual games thing, but i actually dont like wii sports. bowling i hate in particular, though boxing is also rubbish.

if you like brain training and wii sports, fine, im sure theyre the best at what they do (training your brain and being a sports game on the wii). but for those who like more serious, hardcore, difficult to get into and ultimately rewarding and memorable games, the wii aint great. all my fav games fit into that category, and 2 are ninty to be fair (metroid prime, ocarina, half life 2, all the mgss, starcraft, remake of pirates!, civilizatons games). but nintendo arent really making games like that anymore. sure, the wii exclusive zelda could be really good, and il wait till ive finished it before decided (see how i play the game first). but mp3 was a huge disappointment, galaxy is just one game, and a simple, easy and short one with no replay value. oh and brawl probably isnt as good as melee. also one of the cubes most important games, re4, has gone elsewhere

Gamer king
20-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Mario Galaxy and reasonably with Twilight Princess.

which are both games that people instantly pin as good because of there history, they're OLD. No one except those wierd 26 yr old people who love Nintendo (a company which couldn't care less of your opinion and even less about you) and can't except that.

Nintengod
20-06-2008, 12:49 PM
uh.. so you cant hve a laugh with friends with singstar or rockband can you not? i really enjoy the 'having fun with friends on casual games thing, but i actually dont like wii sports. bowling i hate in particular, though boxing is also rubbish.

if you like brain training and wii sports, fine, im sure theyre the best at what they do (training your brain and being a sports game on the wii). but for those who like more serious, hardcore, difficult to get into and ultimately rewarding and memorable games, the wii aint great. all my fav games fit into that category, and 2 are ninty to be fair (metroid prime, ocarina, half life 2, all the mgss, starcraft, remake of pirates!, civilizatons games). but nintendo arent really making games like that anymore. sure, the wii exclusive zelda could be really good, and il wait till ive finished it before decided (see how i play the game first). but mp3 was a huge disappointment, galaxy is just one game, and a simple, easy and short one with no replay value. oh and brawl probably isnt as good as melee. also one of the cubes most important games, re4, has gone elsewhere

"Hardcore" pahahaahahaha. It's a feckin videogame, get over yourself!! You are using the typical terms like "casual gamer" and "hardcore" gamer that i'd expect from such a geek who lacks a broadminded approach. "Rewarding" is about having fun, and gaming is about that.

The remake of Pirates was alright, although I still prefer the original. I thought the Xbox/PC remake didn't bring an awful lot more to it, other than being an obvious graphical update. The original Sid Meiers Pirates remains the best.

Brawl is better than Melee, and RE4 is a classic game and hasn't gone anywhere....its still great on Cube/Wii/PS2.....the PS2 version being the least desirable.

which are both games that people instantly pin as good because of there history, they're OLD. No one except those wierd 26 yr old people who love Nintendo (a company which couldn't care less of your opinion and even less about you) and can't except that.

Old? Your arguments are old, and incredibly weak. The games are good because they are superb evolutions of legendary games. Plenty of people other than me that love Nintendo's titles, new and old.

Gamer king
20-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Nintendo needs a new series, fast, seriously. Metroid, zelda, Mario, they're alll over ten years old. They need new blood for the new console.

Nintengod
20-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Nintendo needs a new series, fast, seriously. Metroid, zelda, Mario, they're alll over ten years old. They need new blood for the new console.

They've successfully been creating new brands of games and series for years. Plenty of OLD series of games by people other than Nintendo :rolleyes:

How many Resident Evil games since 1996? The 6th is coming out next year (counting Code Veronica), where as there have been only 3 official Mario Platform games since 1996, and 4 Zelda games including Majora's mask since 1998.

Look at GTA......since 1997 we've had GTA, GTA 2, GTA: London, GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas, GTA 4, Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories......thats 9, there could be more.

Nintendo bring in new franchises all the time or new games, with use of older characters, like Smash Bros. But also look at the success of Nintendogs, Animal Crossing, Brain Age, many more of the touch-gen games, and motion games on the Wii.

Sony and MS though......well they've pretty much stuck to the same old formula.

flameboy118
20-06-2008, 03:30 PM
right, im not gonna quote because i got a lot to answer to.

your 'new ninty franchises', like brain age and nintendogs arent really games and arent designed to be good really, there just there to rake in some money because some 'non gamers' want to think there becoming more intelligent daily. they arent new franchises

when i said re4 went elsewhere, i meant that re5 hasnt gone onto wii... its gone, well, elsewhere!! im saying that they arent making those less brain-trainingish games anymore, hence why one of their best hardcore games has gone elsewhere

another thing, while sony have old franchises, theyre evolving. which is why i loved metroid prime- it was an evolution. zelda, on the other hand, hasnt changed since ocarina, while also never making anything as good as ocarina.

oh and the hardcore/casual thing. like it or not, by having nigh-on 4000 posts on a forum and practically worshipping galaxy, you are identifying yourself as a gamer, not someone who just has a ds for brain-training, but a gamer. deal with it, and stop calling me geeky for liking games more serious and involved than brain-training

when you say sony and m$ have stuck to the same formula, i would say that the brain-training (which is getting a battering in this post) type of game and gimmicky motion controls are not going in a direction i like. sure, you might be different, and i dont like m$ and sony trying to compete with pcs (because they will always lose ;)) but at least they havent forsaken the gamers (which is us, remember? dont say your not). ninty on the other hand make pilates lessons etc, voting channels and gimmicky controls which are easier to pick up their focus to attract the mass market of not-gamers (not us, remember?).

i can see your gonna insult me for being geeky and thinking im some 'gaming elite', but you need to face it that you are more into games than 99% of the population- you should except who you are. sure, you have a life outside games (as do i of course) but that doesnt mean you should try to distance yourself from being seen as a gamer as opposed to some really cool, non-geeky non-gamer who somehow has wound up arguing fanboy debates and has nearly 4000 posts on a GAMES forum, entitled GAMESforum

EDIT: oh, and to agree with you, there have been far more resident evil games than you've said. youre forgetting remakes of 1&2, resident evil zero, survivor, outbreak and a few more

Nintengod
20-06-2008, 03:54 PM
right, im not gonna quote because i got a lot to answer to.

your 'new ninty franchises', like brain age and nintendogs arent really games and arent designed to be good really, there just there to rake in some money because some 'non gamers' want to think there becoming more intelligent daily. they arent new franchises

Of course they are new franchises! They've sold millions of copies to people over the world!! Nintendogs even got 40/40 from Famitsu, so it can't be that bad!! Brain Age games are also a good laugh as well, i got it, and i've been playing videogames for longer than you've been alive.....so that shoots down your feeble argument.

when i said re4 went elsewhere, i meant that re5 hasnt gone onto wii... its gone, well, elsewhere!! im saying that they arent making those less brain-trainingish games anymore, hence why one of their best hardcore games has gone elsewhere

another thing, while sony have old franchises, theyre evolving. which is why i loved metroid prime- it was an evolution. zelda, on the other hand, hasnt changed since ocarina, while also never making anything as good as ocarina.

RE5 hasn't gone to the Wii because the engine is too much for the hardware. That doesn't mean the Wii won't get Resident Evil games specifically made for the Wii in time. RE5 isn't even out yet till 2009, and MAY not be all that great. We won't know till its released.

Again, you used the term "hardcore" - how silly do you sound. We're talking about videogames here, not drugs!!! :D

True, Ocarina of Time is better than the recent Zelda's.....but Ocarina of Time is also arguably the greatest game ever made. Just like there hasn't been a better album by Oasis since "Definitely Maybe" in 1994.

but at least they havent forsaken the gamers (which is us, remember? dont say your not). ninty on the other hand make pilates lessons etc, voting channels and gimmicky controls which are easier to pick up their focus to attract the mass market of not-gamers (not us, remember?).

I don't feel short changed or compromised by Nintendo for introducing motion controls!!! I don't use the voting channels or buy games like pilates, but I LOVE the motion controls and it does work.

Mario Kart Wii.....as a game, is essentially the same game as Mario Kart Double Dash. Graphically its even the same......HOWEVER, the motion controls, with the wii wheel make Mario Kart Wii stand out, and as a result is VASTLY superior to Mario Kart Double Dash.

flameboy118
20-06-2008, 05:39 PM
ok, to be fair mariokart wii is better than double dash- and your right (in your review), it is pointless playing it with a gamecube controller. brawl not so much- i have no problem with plying that with a gamecube controller. to be fair then, the motion controls dont shine in zelda mario and ssb- theyre simply there. and dont sy galaxys motion controls are essential- it would have received the same scores without em. and also they make mp3 something its not- an fps. so they dont really revolutionise existing franchises (just there for the hell of it). what they do is give rise to new things, which tend to be casual games

can you seriously tell me that re: umbrella chronicles is better than re5 will be? really?

ninty have gone in a direction towards things like brain training and voting channels- just think how much better it would be if they focused more on the hardcore (come on... you cant claim to prefer brain training to ocarina for example). we both know twiilight princess is not a proper wii game and a lot of a cop-out... why lots rests on the shoulders of next zelda. mp3 is not nearly the same as mp1&2 (which admitedly are awesome). the main RE franchise has left ninty and ssb is not enhanced by motion controls. be honest. does all that say that ninty are looking after the hardcore? really?

and again, this time maybe you'll reply to it, by having nearly 4000 posts on a gamesforum and by being as into nintendo games as you are (and by being into them for nigh on 20 years now) you are the hardcore to nintendos eyes. so them doing all the above things and going towards 'cooking lessons' and voting channels says nintendo are forsaking you. but then again sony and m$ arent exactly inspired either- trying to compete with pcs when theyll never win ;)

oh and you know what else got 40 on famitsu?? thats right, i dont even have to say it...

Nintengod
20-06-2008, 06:10 PM
ok, to be fair mariokart wii is better than double dash- and your right (in your review), it is pointless playing it with a gamecube controller. brawl not so much- i have no problem with plying that with a gamecube controller. to be fair then, the motion controls dont shine in zelda mario and ssb- theyre simply there. and dont sy galaxys motion controls are essential- it would have received the same scores without em. and also they make mp3 something its not- an fps. so they dont really revolutionise existing franchises (just there for the hell of it). what they do is give rise to new things, which tend to be casual games

can you seriously tell me that re: umbrella chronicles is better than re5 will be? really?

ninty have gone in a direction towards things like brain training and voting channels- just think how much better it would be if they focused more on the hardcore (come on... you cant claim to prefer brain training to ocarina for example). we both know twiilight princess is not a proper wii game and a lot of a cop-out... why lots rests on the shoulders of next zelda. mp3 is not nearly the same as mp1&2 (which admitedly are awesome). the main RE franchise has left ninty and ssb is not enhanced by motion controls. be honest. does all that say that ninty are looking after the hardcore? really?

and again, this time maybe you'll reply to it, by having nearly 4000 posts on a gamesforum and by being as into nintendo games as you are (and by being into them for nigh on 20 years now) you are the hardcore to nintendos eyes. so them doing all the above things and going towards 'cooking lessons' and voting channels says nintendo are forsaking you. but then again sony and m$ arent exactly inspired either- trying to compete with pcs when theyll never win ;)

oh and you know what else got 40 on famitsu?? thats right, i dont even have to say it...

Yes, Super Smash Bros Brawl and Metal Gear Solid 4 got 40/40 - along with Nintendogs :D

When did I say "Umbrella Chronicles" was going to be better than RE5. They are different games, and I don't think I ever mentioned Umbrella Chronicles in the first place. My point is, that the popularity of the Wii will encourage Capcom to develop an Resident Evil game.....besides, its not really that important. Resident Evil 4 may end up being the greatest RE game of all time.....and the Wii has the best version of it.

The rest of your post is incessant boring drivel. I scanned through it, and saw the same old tedious **** about "hardcore" and "voting channels". You just don't get it do you.....its impossible trying to reason with such a small minded, insulated, immature pleb like you.

flameboy118
20-06-2008, 07:02 PM
ooh by not replying to my post there and saying im drivelling on with tedious **** i reckon you just know you lost.

and sure, of course im a small minded, insulated, immature pleb. impossible trying to reason with *me*?? insecure

Nintengod
20-06-2008, 07:07 PM
ooh by not replying to my post there and saying im drivelling on with tedious **** i reckon you just know you lost.

and sure, of course im a small minded, insulated, immature pleb. impossible trying to reason with *me*?? insecure

I did reply, can you not see that big heap of text below your quoted response??? :eek:

I just said that I couldn't be arsed to read the rest, as it was mindless drivel that you've moaned on about for what seems like decades now.

Conversing with you is utterly pointless, and I only do it to wind you up. You are completely vacuous and have an unwarranted high opinion of yourself.

flameboy118
20-06-2008, 08:36 PM
now your just thinking of as many insults as you can for me.... jeez. nothing more to say to you... i have to admit, youre rather good at winding people up, but actually its not a hard thing to do