PDA

View Full Version : Banjo Kazooie - N64

CW
10-08-2008, 11:55 PM
Banjo-Kazooie (1998) N64

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/4416/banjokazooiecovertz2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Banjo-Kazooie is one of the few RareWare games to come out on N64. RareWare is the company that released epic games for Nintendo and goes buggers off to Microsoft only to **** up by releasing half-decent games on the Xbox’s. I loved this game a whole lot when I was young and still today it’s epic.

Banjo started off as a crap Diddy Kong Racing driver and somehow he got to have his own game. Well we wouldn’t want Bumper the Badger or Timber the Tiger to have there own games, they’re douchebags, I suppose Banjos got his own game because he isn’t a retard. So the story is that Banjo’s a dude just living in a place called Spiral Mountain. He has a friend, Kazooie and a sister, Tooty living there. Tooty wants to go on an adventure with her brother, who’s sleeping right now. Meanwhile Grunty, the local villain in the Banjo world, is doing a rip off of Snow White by talking into a cauldron and asking it ‘Who is the fairest of them all?’ and she isn’t it because she’s an ugly ****. Turn’s out Tooty is the prettiest ho in Spiral Mountain. So as you might imagine, Grunty goes out and grabs her to do something about it. Tooty’s just talking to the local annoying character that no one likes, Bottles the Mole. WHEN SUDDENLY GRUNTY THE BITCH SWOOPS DOWN FROM ABOVE AND GRABS TOOTY! Banjo’s being the protective brother by sleeping through the whole thing and Kazooie’s trying her best to wait him up, yeah I was surprised when I found out Kazooie isn’t a chick. So Banjo wakes up and finds out about the kidnap and, this is where the game begins, goes off to save her.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/237/bkstartingce9.gif (http://imageshack.us)
Your game begins here

Banjo-Kazooie is a lot like Super Mario 64, You go around a hub world, in this case, Grunty’s Lair, and you go grab Jiggys, which are like stars, to open up new worlds. Jiggys reminds me of a song I know, hmm now what was it…? Ahh yes! Getting Jiggy with It!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIduOvEoVeQ
Ok so you start off in Spiral Mountain and you talk to Bottles. You can either skip the tutorial and walk strait to Grunty’s Lair or do the tutorial and get 1 more honeycomb. Your health is Honeycombs, you start off with 5 honeycombs and if you collect six empty honeycombs you gain 1 extra Honeycomb to your health bar. Skipping the tutorial is good if you already have got the controls and want to get stuck into the game, but if you don’t you won’t get the extra health. So either waste time getting extra health or start the adventure. So you enter the Lair and there is a world called Mumbo’s Mountain. You can’t enter it because it is locked. But nearby the Entrance is a Jigsaw puzzle, with a piece missing. If you haven’t already got it through you empty skull; you find the Jiggy and put it in the Jigsaw puzzle. I thought that’s a really imaginative idea and I really wanting to keep playing. You complete the Jigsaw and enter Mumbo’s Mountain.

It opens up a giant world with an anthill, huts, and a gorilla throwing oranges- you’ve got to love randomness. The first thing I did was smack the elfish thing in front of me and he was like ‘ow!’ and that felt awesome! There were also some musical notes in my path aswell- more randomness, you don’t know why you collect them but after you leave the level you and if you collect enough musical notes then you can open the door to another section of the Lair. Then as I progressed in the level I heard someone shouting ‘Help!’ and I found some retard pink ****. It was a Jinjo. He told me if I got the others in this level I’d get a Jiggy. Oh, so I have to collect more ****ing Jiggys. I managed to find the gorilla and I dodge him to find a chimp, who I thought at first was Diddy Kong, great, more Diddy Kong Racing characters, what’s next, TipTup? Oh wait. So this Diddy Kong look alike wanted some of the gorilla’s oranges and so I climbed the tree the gorilla was on and grabbed one and, of course, gave it to him. And I thought well that was easy. And the Diddy Kong gave me a Jiggy. Hooray! Now I’ve got to find out what the hell am I supposed to do with them. Then I see a molehill and Bottles is in there, is he following us? And he teaches me a new move which Kazooie, who I forget was in Banjo’s Backpack, Can shoot eggs out of her mouth and her ass. What? Is this a kid’s game? It better not have been otherwise we have a very disturbed audience. So now to get yet another Jiggy by shooting the Gorilla. At first he’s a real pain in the ass but you’ll figure out a technique. So you get the Jiggy and go. What are the Jiggys for again? You’ll find out later. What else is there in Mumbo’s Mountain. Of Course! Mumbo! Mumbo is a shaman, not a Frostshocking WoW shaman but a guy who can change you into stuff. He doesn’t appear in every world, wait more worlds? This’ll take absolutely ages to complete! He can turn you into an ant in this world. That means, if you still haven’t figured in out or you haven’t been reading the whole thing, you can enter the anthill. You get around the anthill, cause the ant-form can’t do ****, and get to the top to find, you’ve guessed it ANOTHER JIGGY! I’ll wrap this level up before this Review turns into a guide.

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/1725/bkmmdw2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

CONCLUSION
I really hate to stop typing about it. THIS. GAME. IS. AWESOME. If you have a N64 and you don’t have this game, you better get it. This game is a classic and it5 will be very hard to fault Banjo-Kazooie. This games also coming to Xbox Live Arcade, because Rare is over there now. I really hope Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts doesn’t screw up. I really, really don’t.

 So many things to do
 Fun for everyone
 Story is funny and entertaining
 ‘An added good mark’ An absolute Classic

 Can be a bit too long
 Wait what am I saying?
 This game doesn’t have anything really bad about it

9.5/10

Written by Rawpowered

Star Hustler
11-08-2008, 12:08 AM
I
Love
This
Game!!!!!!!

Nice review!

RabidDemon
11-08-2008, 12:25 AM
ive never played it... i always wanted to but i havent played it... now i know that my life is an epic fail

BoomSickle
11-08-2008, 12:42 AM
It is.

I actually never could beat this game XD but I freaking LOUVED banjo tooie. if my 360 starts working again banjo kazooie is going to be the next thing I download

Rawgasm
11-08-2008, 02:45 PM
It is.

I actually never could beat this game XD but I freaking LOUVED banjo tooie. if my 360 starts working again banjo kazooie is going to be the next thing I download

apparently Stop 'n' Swap will actually work this time with Banjo Kazooie on XBox Live Arcade and Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts.

Shooting Palanx
13-08-2008, 01:49 AM
I've played this game lol, and thought it was waaaay to kiddy for me, but still it was fun :)

ClickMyName
13-08-2008, 02:01 AM
Great game, but I don't like the way it saves data.

Shooting Palanx
13-08-2008, 02:15 AM
You mean save points within the game?

Rawgasm
13-08-2008, 07:39 AM
Thing about saving, you can save but that means you have to quit aswell...

Vyse the Legend
31-08-2008, 04:53 PM
What a great game! Shame that since making this Rare has done so little, but hopefully when this game comes onto the Xbox Live Arcade, people will get to see the true beauty (even after 10 years,) that the game has to offer!

Rawgasm
31-08-2008, 04:55 PM
What a great game! Shame that since making this Rare has done so little, but hopefully when this game comes onto the Xbox Live Arcade, people will get to see the true beauty (even after 10 years,) that the game has to offer!

I also hear that Stop 'n' Swap will actually work with the XBLA version and Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts.

Vyse the Legend
31-08-2008, 04:59 PM
I also hear that Stop 'n' Swap will actually work with the XBLA version and Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts.

That would definately be interesting if it's true!

I wonder how Nuts and Bolts will fair up against it's older compatriots, if you ask me, it certainly has a lot to live up too, in keeping the Banjo name respectable.

DrAwesome
04-09-2008, 05:53 AM
Awesome game.

♥Tiffany♥
04-09-2008, 06:31 AM
Very Very nice review, you got me hooking up my Nintendo 64 again to enjoy the good ol' days :), and thank you. ^^

Rawgasm
04-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Very Very nice review, you got me hooking up my Nintendo 64 again to enjoy the good ol' days :), and thank you. ^^

no problem. I think i'll review Banjo Tooie next if no-one else is going to

Rawgasm
11-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Anyone getting Nuts and Bolts on XBox 360 when it comes out? I certainly will

Shooting Palanx
13-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Nope not me.

I think this game wasn't bad, but to me it was all too "kiddy", still made for an awesome game!

Breaking Glass
14-09-2008, 02:18 PM
It really isn't all that kiddy. Sure, it is made for small kids to enjoy, but also older people. There are a lot of relatively dirty and hilarious innuendos that the kiddies won't get in that game. (I've started playing it once again and I am just noticing this).

Shooting Palanx
14-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Well the cuddly little teddy bears and the butterflies suggest otherwise :)

Besides the dialogue that is.

Breaking Glass
14-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Take a look at some stages from Banjo Kazooie. Stages like Clankers Cavern, Bubblegloop Swamp, Mad Monster Mansion and Rusty Bucket Bay are all pretty gloomy, and definitely no "cuddly teddy bear and butterflies" (especially Clanker's Cavern is very dark and gritty).
Practically all of the characters are rather 'ugly' (in some ways), and I can't really think of any "cute and cuddly" characters (except Banjo, Kazooie and the Jinjos.).

I am not saying that Banjo Kazooie isn't "kiddy", just that there are alot more to it than it might seem. There aren't really any moments in that game where I stop to think "man, this is just for kids".
In my opinion that was always Rareware's speciality; to make apparently childish games more dark and gritty than you'd think. The graphics on their N64 games is perfect for this, because it's kind of shady and a little blury and creates this kind of disturbing feel to an apparent bright and happy game.

On Conker's Bad Fur Day Rareware really took this whole "apparently cute but in reality dirty and dark" concept to a new level, but that is a different story.

xtinah2
12-11-2008, 03:38 AM
I actually miss that a lot. One amazing game.

Rawgasm
14-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Well Nuts and Bolts came out today, anyone gonna get it?

Griff'stwin
15-11-2008, 12:32 AM
I beat that game when I was 5 and I enjoyed every minute

garfieldisntfat
15-11-2008, 01:20 AM
Someone really needs to review the Nuts and Bolts. I'm curious about it.

Rawgasm
15-11-2008, 12:02 PM
I'll review it, just as soon as i get it, at christmas

Nintengod
15-11-2008, 12:07 PM
A decent platformer on the N64 with jaw dropping visuals. Was never in the same league as Mario 64 though, but still a worthy purchase.

Vyse the Legend
17-11-2008, 12:37 PM
I've heard that Nuts and Bolts isn't supposed to be that good, just pretty average, so it will be interesting to see what anyone in here makes of it, especially compared to Kazooie.