PDA

View Full Version : Donkey Kong 64 - N64

CW
07-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Donkey Kong 64 (Released December 99 for N64)

http://open-site.org/img/lufiaguy/Donkey_Kong_64_Box_Art.jpg

"DK....Don-key Kong....DK......Donkey Kong is here!" That's right the ever famous DK rap (now making an appearance in Smash Brothers,) first present in Rare's follow up to Banjo Kazooie - Donkey Kong 64. Our favourite ape DK, buddy Diddy and new characters Tiny, Lanky and Chunky once again battle the evil King K Rool as he threatens to blow up DK Isle.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/94/Dk64_jungle.jpg

(Above) Dk showing the enemies who is boss!

First thing first, if you have played Banjo Kazooie (I know a lot of you,) then you will instantly become familiar with the gameplay of DK64. You have your main hub from where you will can access 8 different game worlds from Jungle Japes to Creepy Castle. Within each world you have to find Golden Bananas (the same as Jigsaw pieces in Banjo,) which will require a clever use of the correct Kong member in order to solve some tricky puzzles and games that lie within. There is also the presence of the end of level boss, and where would a DK game be without help from fellow Kong's Cranky, Funky, Candy and Wrinkly who will provide support through tips and power up's to the new musical instruments that each Kong has. Despite having all the Kongs and their wide variety of skills, you still do have to travel each stage, several times in order to unlock everything, which does get a little tiresome going past the same part again and again.

http://nintendome.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/dkrap.jpg

(Above) The Kongs doing the legendary DK rap

As you may have noticed on the box, this game came with the N64 expansion pack, which to my memory was really only used for this game and Majora's Mask. Still, with the added pack graphically, the game looks beautiful. The levels feel alive with colour and even the Kongs and enemies themselves are impressive. Certainly in my opinion, one of the best graphically impressive games on the 64!

The sound is also very well done, with lovely level themes that will change during stage, such as in Fungy Forest when it turns from night to day. Even the common awful character voices have a certain charm to them that other games have lacked.

There is an awful lot to this game, and you will really have to play through for a long time to unlock everything. There are mini-games to play, even the classic original Donkey Kong arcade game,) Blueprints, coloured bananas, fairies to take pictures of, I really could go on. So is there really any play left after all this mammoth quest. Well sadly no not really, there is a multiplayer option, but like my DKR review, there isn't much to it and really may as well been left out altogether. The camera can also be pretty fiddly at times, and will lead to deaths that really shouldn't of been, despite the general control system to be really good.

http://www.djgallagher.com/games/classics/donkeykong/images/scr_dkong64.jpg

(Above) Diddy swinging amongst the Egyptian surroundings.

Conclusion. For many people, this game will always be in the darkness of it's older brother Banjo Kazooie, but it really does deserve to see the light of your console, as it is an excellent title that has plenty going for it. There are the odd negatives, but if you haven't played it, and still have a N64, then you are missing out on a true gem, so go out and get it now!!

+ Excellent graphics and sound quality
+ Plenty to collect and keep you well busy throughout
+ Very clever use of puzzles and Kong abilities to keep things fresh from similiar games

- Occasional dodgy camera can be annoying
- Very poor multiplayer
- Repetitive going through of levels

Overall - 9/10

Written by Vyse the Legend

BoomSickle
08-09-2008, 05:15 AM
Aw yeah! I used to love this game as a kid

Star Hustler
08-09-2008, 11:07 AM
I use to play this game alot in my teens...lol

great review!

Rawgasm
08-09-2008, 04:50 PM
DAMN! I was just about to write a review on this! you better leave Banjo-Tooie alone. I called it!

Nice review by the way. you're gettin good at this

Vyse the Legend
08-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I do try and do the best reviews I can, of course I'm always trying to improve. :)

Shooting Palanx
10-09-2008, 03:06 AM
Hehe I never got a chance to play this game lol...and wow what's with covering all of the N64 titles?

Vyse the Legend
10-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Hey I've only done 2!! :D

PokerKing
10-09-2008, 06:54 PM
y'know.. i just realized i havent ever beat this.. I should get my n64 out lol

Breaking Glass
10-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Great review!

I didn't enjoy this game as much as Banjo Kazooie, but I still had a good time with it. Rareware really did own the Nintendo 64. Only quality games.

Vyse the Legend
10-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Thank you. :)

Shooting Palanx
12-09-2008, 01:18 AM
Meh, it required an expansion pak! And I didn't have the monies at the time!

Nintengod
12-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Meh, it required an expansion pak! And I didn't have the monies at the time!

Hmmm, I have a feeling that DK64 came bundled with an expansion pak. Only a handful of games ever used the pak, but this was one of the first.

Shooting Palanx
12-09-2008, 04:20 PM
The thing is by the time I got into the whole N64 craze, the games itself sort of started to lose value as in nothing was new these days, it was all pre owned, albeit I got most of my games from Garage sales and Flee Markets, well most of the older games.

Vyse the Legend
12-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Hmmm, I have a feeling that DK64 came bundled with an expansion pak. Only a handful of games ever used the pak, but this was one of the first.

That's right all copies of the game came with the expansion pack. Though I feel sorry for people who just bought the game second hand or from someone else without knowing that, because then it would of been a complete waste of time, as it needs the pack to run. So I hope that didn't happen to you SP, because that would of been a real kick in the teeth I'd imagine!

Oh and I know Majora's Mask used the pack as well, but I'm not sure if any other game did around the time.

Shooting Palanx
13-09-2008, 02:51 AM
Actually Vyse I bought both of those games second hand, and than I kicked myself :)

Vyse the Legend
13-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Ouch, I feel for ya buddy! :)

Shooting Palanx
13-09-2008, 05:23 PM
You do?

I'd assumed you got both of those games with Expansion paks?

Otherwise, you don't feel me :p

Vyse the Legend
13-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Hahaha well I think this game was the only one that came with the expansion pack, though I assume that they were sold seperately for muppets that didn't get one when they bought the game. :D

Shooting Palanx
13-09-2008, 05:30 PM
If it did come with the game, than why would it be sold separately?