PDA

View Full Version : Sword of the New World: Granado Espada - PC

CW
14-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Sword of the New World: Granado Espada - PC (Released 2005)

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/1181/swordofthenewworldtk6.jpghttp://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4152/swordofthenewworld4zj0.jpg

General Info

Sword of the New World (from this point onwards SotNW) is an free to play MMORPG. There are 5 classes to choose from: Musketeer, Wizard, Elementalist, Fighter and Scout with the option to find new classes throughout the game by completing various quests. A unique option to SotNW is the multi-character control (MCC) - the possibility to control from 1 to 3 characters at once. The game is set in a fantasy world with many zones, quests and monsters, however, while the level cap is so high, there is only 1 zone for a range of 6-10 levels. Weapons vary from swords and daggers all the way to shotguns and there's an nearly unlimited level cap. In Korea, SotNW not only won the award for Best Graphics but also won the 2006 Presidential Award for Game of the Year. SotNW can be downloaded from the official site.

Gameplay - 7/10

While SotNW has an really unique gaming system, like every other game, it has its flaws as well. The interface is not extremely well assembled, the chat window is somewhat too big and there are some unnecessary side bars, when first starting the game you have to modify it to run in full screen mode which is sometimes quite confusing. The camera isn't very "smart" and is sometimes needed to move it yourself to get in position. Character control is classic drag and drop box style with option to click an icon to select the whole team or only 1 character. Equipping items is quite simple, drag and drop technique. Each class has many talents to choose from and through quests or vendors it is possible to acquire books that teach your character certain stances, these stances improve your skill with certain talents/weapons and decrease with others. Moving in the world is done by both arrows and mouse, however, moving with the arrows is quite difficult and confusing because you move in the direction of the camera, so for you to move in different directions you have to reposition the camera every few seconds. There's a possibility to move automatically from 1 zone to another by paying a trader designated for fast travels. Attacking is done by right clicking a monster or by pressing the auto-attack button which makes your character/s stand still and attack every monster in visual range. An very serious and annoying problem however is respawning which is simply too fast, after killing a monster it will respawn in a matter of 15 seconds or so. When one of your characters dies however, it will take him 60 seconds to respawn at half health but if all of your characters are dead than you will spawn at the capitol city. Player versus player combat (PvP) is not very well handled but duels are possible everywhere. Social is well handled, when your in a certain zone, your messages will be seen by everyone in the same zone... however it is also possible to purchase world chats which when used transfers the message to all online players. All together, gameplay could be better but is still decent - 7/10.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/895/swordofthenewworld2xu3.jpghttp://img183.imageshack.us/img183/7428/swordofthenewworld3zw5.jpg

Graphics - 9,5/10

SotNW has better graphics than many pay to play games, character and landscape detail is extraordinary, every element is taken in concern. Weather and day and night changes are very realistic. Every piece of clothing and weaponry is different and detailed and are visible on your character/s. Let's take hats for example, if you have 3 same hats and put it on 3 different character classes they will look different on each one. However, the camera problems are visible even here when occasionally, as the camera floats away or stumbles behind a building and similar, gaps in construction are visible. Graphics is SotNW's strongest advantage and i give it a 9,5/10.

Music & Sounds - 9/10

The music in SotNW is renaissance style and is very well coordinated with the game style, every zone has its own particular music, dungeons have creepy music and monsters have various sound effects depending on the monster and the attack they are using. NPC speech and ascent are somewhat not consistent with the looks of the NPC. Character speech is good and coordinated with the time the game is placed in. Sound effects are very often and well designed, there are almost no actions without a particular sound. My grade for music is 9/10.

Pros ----------------------------- Cons
-Graphics ------------------------ Camera
-Music ---------------------------- Leveling
-Multi-character control --------- PvP

Overall rating - 8,5/10

Written by Reviewer

Bujaka
14-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Nice review :)

Vyse the Legend
14-09-2008, 11:26 PM
Even though I'm not a PC gamer, I really did like the look of this I must admit and was close to getting it.

Good review again Reviewer! :)

Star Hustler
15-09-2008, 12:08 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Korean MMO'S But I guess thats be cause I hate NCsoft so much, Guild Wars was Horrible and Lineage was ok...But yea Sword of the New World: Granado Espada looks just like another clone of Guild Wars and Lineage. Decent review nonetheless though. :)

Cabal Online is the only Korean MMO I would play ever again lol.

Shooting Palanx
15-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Wow awesome graphics Altair :)

Tops for the review, even though it was much too long.

V8Matt
15-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Good review, the graphics looks amazing.

Altair17
15-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Wow awesome graphics Altair :)

Tops for the review, even though it was much too long.

And I tought compared to others people are gonna say its too short,,, well anyway in reviews to come im gonna leave out all the boring facts and only put the important stuff even tho it might be a bit short than :)

Shooting Palanx
17-09-2008, 05:52 AM
I'm sure we can give you a sentence, and you can turn it into a novel.

Nothing wrong with the review bro :)

It's quite good actually.

MWright967
17-09-2008, 06:32 AM
Good review- but...

God damn, bury this game, BURY IT I SAY! Bury it with crosses and cloves of garlic. I absolutely despise this game.

Speeder
17-09-2008, 06:59 AM
Hi Friends, Good review And the graphics looks really amazing.