PDA

View Full Version : Spore - PC

CW
14-09-2008, 11:13 PM
Spore - PC (Released 2008)

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/7127/sporeka2.jpghttp://img374.imageshack.us/img374/4513/spore2ip1.jpg

General Info

Spore is a multi genre game which allows the player to evolve its species from a single celled organism to a dominating specie on the planet and the galaxy. It is a game where you shape your own world, you choose which species will evolve and which will extinct. There are 3 types of creatures, herbivores which eat only fruit, carnivores which eat meat and omnivores with eat both fruit and meat. There are 5 evolution phases, Cell, Creature, Tribal, Civilization and Space phase, to evolve into the next phase a player needs to collect DNA points and make their specie more complicated and clever by adding various elements to your specie such as weapons, feet, hands etc. As you earn more and more evolution points you get smarter and new game options are added, such as for example picking up objects once you added hands to your specie. In first three phases you control and play with a member/s of your specie and in 4th and 5th you control vehicles, boats, airplanes and spaceships which you can design yourself or choose from the list of maxis designs (It is also possible to download designs made by other players from the Spore official site). Throughout the first 2 phases you can design and shape your specie in any way you wish, you can add elements by your own choice but once phase 2 is completed your specie will forever be how it was than, in phase 3, 4 and 5 you can however add clothing and similar objects. There are a couple of planets where a new game can be started, once a certain stage is reached for the first time, it is possible to start from that stage on another without needing to repeat the whole evolution process from the Cell phase. In Cell and Creature phase, whenever needed a player and mate with another unit of its specie in order to add weapons, limbs etc. Each time this is done, a new generation is born.

Gameplay - 9/10

Since every phase of this game is pretty much a game for itself i will review each phase individually.
Cell phase: Moving is done by simply clicking left or right mouse buttons, Camera is bird perspective and as you evolve the terrain that the camera covers expands. Cell stage is extremely basic and all that is needed to do is move around and eat other organisms, when defeating stronger and more evolved species than yourself as a reward you unlock new weapons and tools which you can add to your specie, there are 6 unlockable elements in the Cell stage, an important element in this stage is that for your specie to become an omnivore it is needed to unlock all 6 unlockables which is quite challenging.
Creature phase: Stretch your legs and get out of the sea! In Creature phase, everything changes, moving is done by left mouse button while the right mouse button is now used for adjusting the camera which is now 3D, in this phase your goal is to defeat or befriend other species and as you do that you become smarter and your brain grows, however each time your brain grows, other species brains grow even more for a bigger challenge. There are much more unlocks in this phase, over a 100 to be exact and in this phase theres an option of creating a pack, that is, each time your brain grows you can add 1 more creature to your pack to follow you wherever you go. There are 4 types of friendly and 4 types of hostile moves, with 1-5 levels.
Tribal phase: Congratulations, you are now as smart as your ever gonna be, you just haven't figured it out yet. In this phase you no longer unlock weapons, limbs etc. you now unlock buildings and clothing, - how? Well, by conquering or befriending other tribes. Movement is still done by left mouse button, at first your tribe can have 6 members but as you unlock other buildings you can also have more members and you can select and dance around with as many as you want. The key to evolving trough this phase is food, at first you collect it from trees or by killing animals, depending on the fact are you a herbivore, carnivore or omnivore and later as you unlock the fishing hut you can fish! Food is used for everything, constructing buildings, making babies and of course feeding your tribe. There are 3 types of social buildings which give your tribe tools for befriending a tribe and 3 types of hostile buildings which makes weapon. This is in my opinion the best phase.

Civilization phase: No more playing with your species, the time of technology has come! In this phase you play with vehicles, boats and airplanes and your mission is to conquer the planet! No more befriending, just kill em all. However the whole planet is your species but separated just as in the real world. There are 3 types of towns, religious, economic and military. Religious towns build religious units which are used to conquer towns with low happiness (this is increased by building entertainment buildings in your towns and decreased by building factory's), economic city's are used to buy towns with which you have trade paths and finally, military units are used to destroy and conquer enemy towns. As other nation grows you can contact them and if in good relationships you can ask them for help with conquering other nations, for a price, ofcourse. (relationship is increased by bribery and conquering their enemies). Movement is done by left mouse button, right is for the camera once again. Money is gained by either building factory's or by conquering oil wells.
Space phase: Build your spaceship and visit distant galaxies! This phase is so long and complicated it could easily stand as a game by itself. In this phase controls are very tricky, moving is done by both left and right mouse buttons and leaving/entering your planet and galaxy is done with the mouse wheel. There are many galaxies and planets to visit, many items and weapons top find and buy and this is the first phase with a true story of its own, i wont give out much, lets just say your on a quest to find new species but you keep finding destroyed spaceships and towns. What could be happening? This stage is also called sandbox stage by some because you are pretty much invulnerable and it is extremely easy, all you do is travel which is of course very repetitive and after some time, extremely boring.

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/3827/spore3jy9.jpghttp://img233.imageshack.us/img233/2500/spore4rn2.jpg

Graphics - 9,5/10

The best word for graphics would be - cartoonish, however, that makes Spore adequate for players of all ages. The graphics is truly great, every detail is taken concern of, every limb, weapon, tool is detailed to perfection, even the movie clips between phases and when creating new generations display even items that are there by accident. For example, you bumped an egg while mating, in the movie clip, eggs will be out of place. I am taking 0,5 points out of the score because when zoomed in maximally errors in design and construction are slightly visible.

Music & Sounds - 9/10

The music varies depending on which limbs, weapons etc. are placed on your specie, every feet for example has its own sound. It is also possible to create music in the form of anthems in the Tribal, Civilization and Space stages. Although the music is very well handled there are still some problems, like unusual accent of your specie when in space stage.

Pros
Cons
- Graphics
- Movement controls
- Sounds
-Camera
- Creature generator
-Space stage

Overall rating: 9/10

Written by Reviewer

Bujaka
14-09-2008, 11:18 PM
Lol i was suprised this wasnt by dante, good review reviewer :D Very in depth, same goes to your other one

Vyse the Legend
14-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Very nice review! :)

Though yeah I was pretty sure Dante was going to do this, and he will be sad that it didn't get a 10. :p

Altair17
14-09-2008, 11:22 PM
I red some of his views on the game, they were completely different than my, for example he hated tribal and loved space stage which is completely vice versa at my point of view... i wouldnt mind if he did his own Spore review since im sure it would be much different :)

Star Hustler
15-09-2008, 12:12 PM
I love everything about this game, Great review! :D

Shooting Palanx
15-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Wow way too long for me to read, at least try to make the review a little bit more exciting.

:)

Though I've heard good things about this game, I've also heard bad things about it!

flameboy118
15-09-2008, 06:29 PM
hang on, hang on, i never actually read these, but isnt the space stage the best by miles, and not a con? furthermore

'the graphics *is* truly great?'

'The *music* varies depending on which limbs, weapons etc'

singular of species is species, not specie (i think anyway, i stand to correction)

'like unusual accent of your specie when in space stage'. *sigh*. were missing a word there

'cartoonish, however, that makes Spore adequate for players of all ages.' do you mean suitable?

'every feet'. need i comment?

'Although the music is very well handled there are still some problems'. youre probably going to want an extra commar (eesh, how DO you spell that?) and while would go better at the start of the sentance

in case you didnt notice, thats all from the last two paragraphs
and yes, if you look for the errors and they arent there, its because cw edited them out

Dante
15-09-2008, 07:11 PM
I was going to review this, but oh well. I have other works which I am writing.

WHICH YOU SHALL ALL READ QUITE SOON.

Yes.

flameboy118
15-09-2008, 07:42 PM
I red some of his views on the game, they were completely different than my, for example he hated tribal and loved space stage which is completely vice versa at my point of view... i wouldnt mind if he did his own Spore review since im sure it would be much different :)

dantes point of view would be correct then. and THAT dante, is why you are my gay 14 year old cyber lover

Altair17
15-09-2008, 09:10 PM
hang on, hang on, i never actually read these, but isnt the space stage the best by miles, and not a con? furthermore

'the graphics *is* truly great?'

'The *music* varies depending on which limbs, weapons etc'

singular of species is species, not specie (i think anyway, i stand to correction)

'like unusual accent of your specie when in space stage'. *sigh*. were missing a word there

'cartoonish, however, that makes Spore adequate for players of all ages.' do you mean suitable?

'every feet'. need i comment?

'Although the music is very well handled there are still some problems'. youre probably going to want an extra commar (eesh, how DO you spell that?) and while would go better at the start of the sentance

in case you didnt notice, thats all from the last two paragraphs
and yes, if you look for the errors and they arent there, its because cw edited them out

Well what can i say, im sorry im not english.. if you resent the mistakes so much... try making a review on croatian and ill point out your mistakes.. i mean really dude.. get some perspective.. not everyone is english....

flameboy118
15-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Well what can i say, im sorry im not english.. if you resent the mistakes so much... try making a review on croatian and ill point out your mistakes.. i mean really dude.. get some perspective.. not everyone is english....

shouldnt be writing reviews then!

i did guess that you arent english. and i suppose it would be a great way to expand your english. but challenge accepted. review of.... probably something like.... wii fit, coming right up. BUT IN FRENCH! (your english will be better than my french so dont say it has to be croatian)

Altair17
16-09-2008, 11:29 AM
yes im gonna stop with the reviews because 1 perfectionist has problems with my grammar and 10 other ppl said it was good....

Daeanu
16-09-2008, 12:21 PM
it was a good review of a game that it just plain awesome

gloryfields
01-10-2008, 06:47 AM
I agree.

So it is an offical version of the game,
I mean Final one, or there will be more versions ?

DEATH MAN
15-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Thank you for this review
Excellent review
Greetings

SebNoker
28-10-2008, 12:03 AM
Wow, wasnt remotly intrested in this game up until now, great review!

Mr. Bee
31-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Let's talk about the game guys))
I heard that this game can be finished for 5 game hours.
What can you say?
What are your Impressions about it?
I'm about to start gaming...

healthier
04-11-2008, 07:12 AM
A great reiew written to a great game. Thanks

thetombraider
08-11-2008, 08:13 PM
I'd have to disagree with that review. It didn't live up to the almost decade of waiting and total hype or what people said about it. Great review though...

It was just dull, and not very inventive. Not fun, at all.

xtinah2
20-11-2008, 05:44 AM
Awesome game, Awesome Review.

Asymbios
15-11-2009, 01:23 AM
Great review. I wouldn't say that the graphics in Spore were very good though?
In my opinion all of the stages are initially awesome, but get repetitive relatively quickly. The space stage does not get as repetitive, but if you want to play a game like that, get GalCiv 2.
All round, an awesome game, but not for the average gamer.

BladeMaster
10-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Spore was good in the first creature phase then it got more and more half hearted. I think for Maxis it was a quick cash in attempt. (More work could have been done to refine the experience)

Steedy
10-12-2009, 10:18 PM
I had soooo much fun with this game!

gamingphage
12-12-2009, 02:31 AM
There was quite a bit of hype around this game. I downloaded it a few months ago but decided to delete it, it just wasn't my style.

BladeMaster
12-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Yeah, its actually a pretty shallow gaming experience. Dont get me wrong, i played it for about 10 hours, i just lost interest. Its abit unbalanced..

ugotmilk
12-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Eh, no replayability value at all

Assassin
12-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Eh, no replayability value at all

I agree.. I played for some 20 hours and when I saw it again I just got tired of it and uninstalled it ! :cool:

Rawz
12-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Yeah I agree with almost everyone here, I had the game.
I didn't play it for long at all and I just got bored with it.
first couple of stages are fine but then it just gets more and more boring especially when you can go into space.

abe jackson
18-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Spore is an enjoyable game that pulls off an interesting balancing act. itlets you create a creature and guide its maturation from a single cell to a galactic civilization through an unusual process of evolutionary development.

BladeMaster
18-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Um...yeah, we know thats what the games about...

rappelz
22-12-2009, 09:26 PM
i have spore, and i love it the stupid sounds of the creatures are so cute XD

Mancoi
23-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Really nice game idd, and a nice review!

Barq
23-12-2009, 11:12 PM
I love how Spore was the most pirated game of 2008 because of EA's DRM. That was one of the main reasons I didn't like the game because even if you bought a legit copy, they treated you like a criminal.

Did anyone else find the game boring once they got into outer space?

Steedy
24-12-2009, 03:22 AM
I need to buy this again...

Assassin
24-12-2009, 08:49 AM
I love how Spore was the most pirated game of 2008 because of EA's DRM. That was one of the main reasons I didn't like the game because even if you bought a legit copy, they treated you like a criminal.

Did anyone else find the game boring once they got into outer space?

Yep ! You could count me on it !! :cool:

eyegaming12
15-01-2010, 09:56 AM
Wow, wasnt remotly intrested in this game up until now, great review!

UltimateWeapon
18-01-2010, 12:52 AM
i don't like this game because it looks a bit to "cartoonish", i expected a more kind of "simulation" but now it's just a child's game

eaglei26
31-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Space stage is really boring but civil stage is my favorite

intellg
07-02-2010, 12:27 PM
You have explained this games very well. After your explanation I must download it and play it.

panoma
18-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Nice review. IMO spore was extremely interesting and fun in the beginning, but got boring (for me) in the later stages. That's just me tho :D

Disafect
15-04-2010, 06:48 AM
This game was soo addictive until I got to the galaxy mode, I went OCD on trying to get an entire galaxy as my own, but only got about 300 solar systems, before I moved on. Every once and a while I will play with the character creator for the ****s and grins of it

TheDarkKnight
16-04-2010, 03:50 AM
looks interesting.

mariastyras
21-04-2010, 06:38 AM
As more and more creatures dwell the world, and as evolution forms the future, your species will join herds, clans, even civilizations. The more advanced the creatures of the planet rise, the more complex the strife of survival becomes. And while the player can continue gameplay in Spore at any level

01d 0n3
25-04-2010, 01:12 PM
spore is just epic, my favourite stage is the tribal stage becasue if you think about it that is where we are now (inbetween the like dinosaur stage and the space stage) so yeah it is still an epic game maybe 9/10.
/cool

maueze11
20-05-2010, 06:08 AM
Thanks for the review but i have already play the games and I DO like it a lot..

zsxd45
09-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Yeh,
Very Good Graphics,
Awsome Gameplay,
Very Well Done On Review

Midnight Panda
09-06-2010, 11:09 PM
spore is just epic, my favourite stage is the tribal stage becasue if you think about it that is where we are now (inbetween the like dinosaur stage and the space stage) so yeah it is still an epic game maybe 9/10.
/cool

actually i would have to disagree, i know this is probably a spammer but we are most like the civilization stage...

Nocturne
10-06-2010, 01:55 AM
I lost interest at the Galaxy Stage. :/ I loved it because it reminded me of E.V.O. Which wasn't the case on that stages. Someone also told me there were like..10,000 quests. XD Wasn't going to bother if I couldn't "complete" the game, so to speak.

Nocturne
10-06-2010, 01:57 AM
This game was soo addictive until I got to the galaxy mode, I went OCD on trying to get an entire galaxy as my own, but only got about 300 solar systems, before I moved on. Every once and a while I will play with the character creator for the ****s and grins of it

I lost interest at the Galaxy Stage, too. :/ I loved it because it reminded me of E.V.O. Which wasn't the case on that stage. Someone also told me there were like..10,000 quests. XD Wasn't going to bother if I couldn't "complete" the game, so to speak.

Still, Wonderful reveiw!

Coxton
11-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Decent review. I think Spore is one of those funny games that you can both love and hate at the same time.

It's almost a tech demo still in its nature in the way it brought some features to the forefront (procedural generation, user based content, etc), and from that perspective I really like it.

On the other hand, it tries to do too much and therefore ends up being very diluted. For that reason it gets repetitive and lacks any real depth. Personally I really enjoyed the very first cell stage, and was always left wanting more when it ended. It's a fun game on the first play through, and its always nice when you see your own creations moving about on the screen. Therefore I'd say its more suited to a younger player, but is worth a look for everyone as there will be some part you enjoy.

benfilix
03-02-2011, 07:48 AM
This is a wonderful game. It is not entirely nihilistic, you have the option to make allies, and to avoid conflicts. It gives little sense of fun God must have set the forms of life together. Also, do not spend all your time to destroy and kill.

madbrawler
01-03-2011, 05:20 PM
It's a good review, a nice game, but I find it barely amusing and that's the biggest concern. It's a bit slow after you have reached land.

rnike
14-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Me and my girlfriend got this game. She played it for a while at first and wouldn't let me play. Then final I got to install it on my computer only to find out she scratched it up and it would install. Every time i think of spore nothing but sad thought enter my head

Gamer87
14-03-2011, 05:08 PM
I wanted to try this game when it first came out, but I was never really sure about it