PDA

View Full Version : The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - 360

halo-fan-4ever
29-09-2008, 09:22 PM
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

I know I'm uber-cool. Heck, everyone knows I'm uber-cool, but when a game acknowledges how uber-cool I am, it instantly wins my love from that alone. Luckily, Bethesda know the way to my heart, and have assured my love through the ego-inflating yet undeniably annoying adoring fan. He just follows you around until he gets mauled by a passing daedra, but the fact that he refers to you as "Oh great and mighty Grand Champion" means he's worth sticking in the game, and worth speaking to once. And never again.

It's also worth noting that Bethesda put an awful lot of other cool stuff into Oblivion. Such as flower picking. However, they even went to the trouble of putting basic, mundane, everyday tasks in, such as sneaking aboard pirate ships and assassinating the captain, entering yourself for fierce gladitorial fights to the death, or simply saving the world. The work that they've put into the little details is astounding. Oblivion is, in case you've been living in one of the many fusty caves littering Cyrodiil, an open world game. After exiting the sewers near the start of the game, you can either proceed with the whole apocalypse prevention procedure or completely disregard all that you have witnessed in the first half hour of the game. If you choose the former, you'll spend the next hour of your new life chatting up a priest who actually happens to be heir to the throne, only to find that he'll only follow you home if you slap about a couple of scabby-faced ruffians who set fire to half of his neighbourhood. The latter choice will take you anywhere you happen to end up. It's all a bit hit and miss there, although eventually you'll probably end up finding your way into one of the guilds. Or you'll spend the rest of your life sucking the moisture from rocks, whiling away the hours talking to mud crab.

Called Ted.

Whichever path you choose, you'll always be in Cyrodiil, which has more places to go than you're likely to have time for. Luckily, there are also more things to do than you're likely to have time for, such as the above mentioned world-saving, or foiling a shopkeeper's evil plan to... sell cheap goods. The concept of all of these one off quests are great, and happily, they're all played out in equally great greatness. Huzzah! There as many different quests as quests you might want to do, and most people seem to have something troubling them. Oh, my flagon of ale has been stolen. Oh, my cat jumped off of a bridge. Oh, my sword has grown toenails, etc etc etc. As is so often the case in video gaming, most of the quests involve killing whoever the villain may be, rather than say, having a chat over a mug of ale. Ah well. I suppose omitting peaceful solutions is an accurate simulation of life.

When opening up a huge game world to explore, it's easy to just hope that the player may become so immersed that they won't notice that you've skimped on the graphics. Graphics skimping, however, has been skimped on in Oblivion. Your weapon shimmers in the light, orcs look as pig ugly and John Prescott-like as they should, and you can get some truly brilliant views. The only problem is with these views, in fact: the game only loads your immediate area. This leaves anything beyond that looking like a pre-schooler's snotted up papier mache replica of Old Trafford. On the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions you're stuck with this, but the PC version has a fascicle of mods available to make the game more pleasing on the eye. That said, even without the mods, Oblivion is still a beautiful game.

On the subject of mods, there are an awful lot that the community has now churned out. Any problems, no matter how obscure, that vanilla Oblivion had, have been ironed out by modders. One such gripe that angered many a fan was the lack of snail racing. That has since been corrected though, and you are now free to bet on and spectate this sport of kings (Once you've installed the mod, of course).

And now we arrive at the obligatory "things which this game fluffed up" part of the review. The most major problem is the combat system, which features a "block" button and a "swipe wildly in the enemy's general direction" button. You're not going to pull off Devil May Cry style combos however hard you may try, and the system's incredible lack of depth is what puts me off the warrior classes. Instead, I opt to sneak around in the shadows, picking off my targets with a well-placed arrow (and a 3x sneak damage bonus). Ranged attacks are much more interesting, the projectiles staying lodged in your target's throat until you pluck them back out. Or, if you're like me, leave them in and screenshot it, you sadistic *******.

The game is also (On 360 at least) a little sluggish at some points when you're skipping through the countryside. On all platforms, there is occasional slowdown as the game loads the next area, yet the Xbox 360 version's frame rate seems to be a little more erratic than it would be on a decent computer. Saying that, the frame rate problem is slight, and you'll barely notice it thanks to all the fun you'll have killing goblins. Oh joy.

All in all, Oblivion is an open world RPG which stands head and shoulders above its peers. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, and the combat is far from the best you'll find, but Cyrodiil has been wonderfully crafted. Much like the under-garments of an inebriated Keira Knightly, it's a place you can't afford not to explore.
http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t328/halo-fan-4ever/Oblivion_2.jpg
http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t328/halo-fan-4ever/oblivion_g92_small.jpg
http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t328/halo-fan-4ever/the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion-20060.jpg
9/10
Written by Dante

Vyse the Legend
29-09-2008, 10:14 PM
Brilliantly done as always Dante, though I don't think I'd want to come up against many John Prescott faced Imps, that would give me nightmares! :D

Bujaka
29-09-2008, 10:24 PM
lool dante thatw as jokes :D nice review :)

thebluesamurai
29-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Kick ass review dante.

Doomed
30-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Awesome review.

Star Hustler
30-09-2008, 10:36 AM
I put 200+ hours into this game lol...Its a great game between the expansions and all the cool mods it kept me busy! Very good review dante. :)

Daeanu
30-09-2008, 01:27 PM
very nicely done review dante :) keep up the good work

MooCowMan
30-09-2008, 03:41 PM
I put 200+ hours into this game lol...Its a great game between the expansions and all the cool mods it kept me busy! Very good review dante. :)

Holy crap.... Will you marry me?

Breaking Glass
30-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Wonderful review man. This game is so freaking epic, and I really love it! One of my favourite titles for the 360.

NekronosiS
01-10-2008, 07:33 AM
One of the games I will remember for it's good sides. Even there are bad too, they are heavily outmatched by the awesomeness of the game. I still sometimes play this game, every time as another type of character. My preffered however is a costum assassin / bowman type of character. Being a stealthy ******* is sooooo my style.

Talentz
03-10-2008, 06:13 PM
lovely review and a er great game from what I read.

Lokker Gattez
03-10-2008, 07:21 PM
I heard there was some controversy over the game. Apparently some parental protest groups said they saw their kids playing as topless female characters in this game. This was dealt with when the creators (I think) said that the only way that that could happen would be if the kids somehow hacked the computer version of this game.

Dante
03-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Thanks everyone, I did try my best. Effortlessly, of course. Try not to ponder that too much.

Vyse the Legend
03-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Holy crap.... Will you marry me?

Hahahaha sorry seeing this just made me laugh. :D

Star Hustler
03-10-2008, 09:54 PM
I heard there was some controversy over the game. Apparently some parental protest groups said they saw their kids playing as topless female characters in this game. This was dealt with when the creators (I think) said that the only way that that could happen would be if the kids somehow hacked the computer version of this game.

wow thats really ridiculous...*sigh*

Nazz
03-10-2008, 10:21 PM
Haha, awesome review.

snopake6
04-10-2008, 12:01 AM
Awesome review. If anyone here wants Bethesda to make a TESV I found this on another forum(look at my sig).

sk8erguy93
29-10-2008, 10:34 PM
oblivion is such a great rpg, i love rpg's cause you can just keep on playing and playing(you know what i mean). i now have full daedric at lvl 20 :D i only got lit like a couple of hours ago and i love it! bit heavy though :S i also found out that if you clear out a cave of people or creatures so its empty, come back some time later and it has some new inhabitants! i never knew that and i didnt think it would happen! I LOVE Elder Scrolls:Oblivion

timmeh
26-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Oblivion is one of the best 360/PS3/PC titles out there. Especially with the nights of the nine and shivering isles expansions.

longforlong
26-05-2009, 05:21 PM
this game is the best . my friend told me about it now im on the 360 247.

Im new to GAMES FORUMS

Jedclark
12-06-2009, 08:31 PM
this game is the best . my friend told me about it now im on the 360 247.

Im new to GAMES FORUMS

Welcome, mon frere, to the frere-hood!

akilan
13-06-2009, 04:53 PM
interesting game

GamerMedabe
14-06-2009, 08:45 PM
I hope that there is a Elder Scrolls V released sometime soon. I have the third one and the fourth one, I don't like the third because I bought it after the fourth because I like oblivion so much, and it failed my expectations. But Oblivion is definitely one of my favorite games of all time.

flameboy118
14-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Elder Scrolls 1 and 2 are hilarious... You can't complete Daggerfall without a patch due to bugs. Great games though (for their time -> they have not aged well)... shame about number 4.

timmeh
27-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Oblivion rules

kamil0321
30-07-2009, 10:13 PM
god i very much enjoyed reading ur review and im an oblivion and bethesda Softworks fan too :)

Lethal47
06-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Good review. Good game. Well done

KoFa
06-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Nice Review.. tnx

wiiguy
28-11-2009, 02:18 PM
I think its a great game. It lasts for ages and the graphics are superb. Great review.

FroWolf
02-12-2009, 05:12 AM
Oblivion is one of the best games ive played including Morrowwind,Shivering Isles, and Knights Of The Nine . Amazing graphics aweasome Quests,Jobs,Weapons, and Places . Its aweasome ive had it for many days and made many characters and i will not stop . TY god for making Oblivion lol !!......

BladeMaster
10-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Dante, you are funny man, great job. I liked Oblivion, I played it for about 100+ hours. But guess what happened then? Haha, my PC crashed and I had to format... I lost all my freaking saves.../angry So, 100 hours down the drain.

spazamataz
22-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Losing game data is always horrible.:( I had to replay the first 5 hours of Oblivion about 7 times and went through 2 Second Hand 360's and 2 Second Hand PS3's in the process. I'm still amazed I managed to enjoy the game after all that misery./angry

As for the review, I never noticed how limited the combat is, but then again it isn't is it? If you get bored of swiping enemies to death you can throw fireballs at them instead, my personal favourite is also the bow and arrow. It's funny how many arrows you can stick in something and where until you finally drop the poor bugga.

~spaz~

Volgan420
24-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Bethesda really did nail it with oblivion- they took all off the annoying aspects of morrow wind and either improved them or got rid of them all together. The 360 version falls short in comparison to the PC version due to the controls, frame rate and content; but its still a great game. I'm looking forward to the next addition in the series- who knows what Bethesda has up their sleeve. :rolleyes:

omegaweaponXII
28-12-2009, 06:56 AM
i lost my oblivion save files and am thinking about starting it up again any hints or tips on a starting character

BladeMaster
28-12-2009, 08:43 AM
i lost my oblivion save files and am thinking about starting it up again any hints or tips on a starting character

If you want to be a warrior, try the orc class with the warrior birth sign. Or a nord for that matter.

If you want to be a mage, use a high elf or a imperial....

eyegaming12
15-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Wonderful review man. This game is so freaking epic, and I really love it! One of my favourite titles for the 360.

Disafect
15-04-2010, 06:44 AM
The Elder scrolls games are by far my favorite games, I have played all of them and will be loyal until they are gone!

night watchman
17-03-2011, 01:50 PM
another game that was and still is raved about but i just hated it spent most of the time being attacked for no reason

mforell
19-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Lets hope Elder Scrolls 5 Skyrim will correct some faults in Oblivion.

SheliaLennox
26-03-2011, 07:45 PM
Lets hope Elder Scrolls 5 Skyrim will correct some faults in Oblivion.

Well, my main problem was how fugly all the character models were, and so far I've seen nothing but good things from the Skyrim scans. :P

godest
31-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Indeed :)

50Cal
01-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Nice review, i like the game alot :)

zsxd45
05-04-2011, 09:29 AM
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

I know I'm uber-cool. Heck, everyone knows I'm uber-cool, but when a game acknowledges how uber-cool I am, it instantly wins my love from that alone. Luckily, Bethesda know the way to my heart, and have assured my love through the ego-inflating yet undeniably annoying adoring fan. He just follows you around until he gets mauled by a passing daedra, but the fact that he refers to you as "Oh great and mighty Grand Champion" means he's worth sticking in the game, and worth speaking to once. And never again.

It's also worth noting that Bethesda put an awful lot of other cool stuff into Oblivion. Such as flower picking. However, they even went to the trouble of putting basic, mundane, everyday tasks in, such as sneaking aboard pirate ships and assassinating the captain, entering yourself for fierce gladitorial fights to the death, or simply saving the world. The work that they've put into the little details is astounding. Oblivion is, in case you've been living in one of the many fusty caves littering Cyrodiil, an open world game. After exiting the sewers near the start of the game, you can either proceed with the whole apocalypse prevention procedure or completely disregard all that you have witnessed in the first half hour of the game. If you choose the former, you'll spend the next hour of your new life chatting up a priest who actually happens to be heir to the throne, only to find that he'll only follow you home if you slap about a couple of scabby-faced ruffians who set fire to half of his neighbourhood. The latter choice will take you anywhere you happen to end up. It's all a bit hit and miss there, although eventually you'll probably end up finding your way into one of the guilds. Or you'll spend the rest of your life sucking the moisture from rocks, whiling away the hours talking to mud crab.

Called Ted.

Whichever path you choose, you'll always be in Cyrodiil, which has more places to go than you're likely to have time for. Luckily, there are also more things to do than you're likely to have time for, such as the above mentioned world-saving, or foiling a shopkeeper's evil plan to... sell cheap goods. The concept of all of these one off quests are great, and happily, they're all played out in equally great greatness. Huzzah! There as many different quests as quests you might want to do, and most people seem to have something troubling them. Oh, my flagon of ale has been stolen. Oh, my cat jumped off of a bridge. Oh, my sword has grown toenails, etc etc etc. As is so often the case in video gaming, most of the quests involve killing whoever the villain may be, rather than say, having a chat over a mug of ale. Ah well. I suppose omitting peaceful solutions is an accurate simulation of life.

When opening up a huge game world to explore, it's easy to just hope that the player may become so immersed that they won't notice that you've skimped on the graphics. Graphics skimping, however, has been skimped on in Oblivion. Your weapon shimmers in the light, orcs look as pig ugly and John Prescott-like as they should, and you can get some truly brilliant views. The only problem is with these views, in fact: the game only loads your immediate area. This leaves anything beyond that looking like a pre-schooler's snotted up papier mache replica of Old Trafford. On the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions you're stuck with this, but the PC version has a fascicle of mods available to make the game more pleasing on the eye. That said, even without the mods, Oblivion is still a beautiful game.

On the subject of mods, there are an awful lot that the community has now churned out. Any problems, no matter how obscure, that vanilla Oblivion had, have been ironed out by modders. One such gripe that angered many a fan was the lack of snail racing. That has since been corrected though, and you are now free to bet on and spectate this sport of kings (Once you've installed the mod, of course).

And now we arrive at the obligatory "things which this game fluffed up" part of the review. The most major problem is the combat system, which features a "block" button and a "swipe wildly in the enemy's general direction" button. You're not going to pull off Devil May Cry style combos however hard you may try, and the system's incredible lack of depth is what puts me off the warrior classes. Instead, I opt to sneak around in the shadows, picking off my targets with a well-placed arrow (and a 3x sneak damage bonus). Ranged attacks are much more interesting, the projectiles staying lodged in your target's throat until you pluck them back out. Or, if you're like me, leave them in and screenshot it, you sadistic *******.

The game is also (On 360 at least) a little sluggish at some points when you're skipping through the countryside. On all platforms, there is occasional slowdown as the game loads the next area, yet the Xbox 360 version's frame rate seems to be a little more erratic than it would be on a decent computer. Saying that, the frame rate problem is slight, and you'll barely notice it thanks to all the fun you'll have killing goblins. Oh joy.

All in all, Oblivion is an open world RPG which stands head and shoulders above its peers. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, and the combat is far from the best you'll find, but Cyrodiil has been wonderfully crafted. Much like the under-garments of an inebriated Keira Knightly, it's a place you can't afford not to explore.
http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t328/halo-fan-4ever/Oblivion_2.jpg
http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t328/halo-fan-4ever/oblivion_g92_small.jpg
http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t328/halo-fan-4ever/the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion-20060.jpg
9/10
Written by Dante

I have this game, Fantastic Review, Well Done.

XxZoMbi3DogxX
09-04-2011, 08:07 PM
this was a good review :D

mcd
14-05-2011, 10:55 AM
started playing it on my PC, it's a fantastic game, and I can't wait for Skyrim to come out in autumn!

cheshyy
05-08-2011, 09:44 PM
This game is amazing and So is Skyrim i got to play a little at a gaming convention here. Nice Review man check out mine about Skyrim.

Zeeee
06-08-2011, 05:04 PM
Great review, and it matches this great game. I have beat the main storyline.. And I still have tons to do. This is a game that you really never can finish because there is so much to accomplish.. And that's why I love this game.

ClockwiseDylan
11-08-2011, 02:06 AM
nice man

XxGamergodsxX
19-08-2011, 12:36 PM
great review i also have the game and i enjoyed it very much and i cant wait for Skyrim :D

Cronus
19-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Bored so i thought i would post a crappy picture of my Breton Mage in full battle armor, this little outfit gives me 100% Chameleon ;)

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/116/dscf2434h.jpg

Heldenhase
19-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Just recommended it to my girl friend! she loves it!

Jekktis
19-08-2011, 09:14 PM
Personally I didn't like Oblivion a ton, they definitely put a lot of effort into it, but to me it feels big and empty when compared to morrowind. There's really no motivation to just go and explore like in morrowind. Also too easy for my taste.
So personally I'd give it more of a 6/10. But that's just my opinion, don't mean to bash anyone else's opinion of it

rennaheim
19-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Great review man!

Mayaayam
19-08-2011, 10:53 PM
Also too easy for my taste
Really? Even if you turn up the difficulty?

Jekktis
20-08-2011, 06:43 PM
Really? Even if you turn up the difficulty?
well, when I say easy, it's not so much how easy it is to die/how difficult it is to kill, so much as it is the amount of direction you get. Morrowind gave little direction, which I liked about it because it gives an incentive to go and explore. Because of the red/green arrow constantly telling you where to go, there's wasn't really much mystery for my taste.

So I've always liked Morrowind better.

Oblivionstem
20-08-2011, 07:44 PM
it's not so much how easy it is to die
Pah, death?! In Oblivion?!

Synkronize
22-08-2011, 06:04 AM
I love that game. Combat is lacking but the storyline is great. Not to mention the huge world you get to explore.

Mayaayam
22-08-2011, 06:07 PM
well, when I say easy, it's not so much how easy it is to die/how difficult it is to kill, so much as it is the amount of direction you get. Morrowind gave little direction, which I liked about it because it gives an incentive to go and explore. Because of the red/green arrow constantly telling you where to go, there's wasn't really much mystery for my taste.

So I've always liked Morrowind better.

Ah, ok. Haven't played Morrowind. I rarely pay attention to the arrows anyway, but I see what you mean.

Jixxen
22-08-2011, 11:27 PM
IMO Oblivion is behind only one game (Zelda OoT). If you dont think there is enough exploration to do then i suggest you try walking from the top right corner of the map, to the bottom corner without getting distracted. You never know when you will just be walking in the forest and come along a cabin that you decide just to check out real quick and inside on the table is a note to a quest, a quest I might add, that you would have never known even existed unless you had stumbled upon this little cabin in the middle of no where. Its little details like that, that make Oblivion the masterpiece it is.

Synkronize
28-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Dayum, I ejaculated great rays of happiness all over this epic review.

Cronus
24-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Guy makes his own Oblivion bible:

http://gamerfront.net/2011/09/oblivion-texts-get-bound-into-one-epic-tome/12324

mcd
25-09-2011, 12:50 AM
I must say, this is very interesting. And the end result is staggering.

vyrose
30-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Awesome review!

willo745
30-10-2011, 05:57 PM
11.11.11 hurry the feck up

Daniel4x
31-10-2011, 03:56 PM
TODD HOWARD ON SKYRIM’S TOUGHEST MONSTERS: “THE MORE OF THE MAIN QUEST YOU DO, THE MORE DRAGONS YOU’LL RUN INTO”

we’ve been speaking to Bethesda game director, Todd Howard about The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. So far we’ve covered small matters concerning crime reporting chickens, a disastrous marriage night and thelessons Bethesda have learned from Fallout 3, but it was only a matter of time before the conversation turned to the creatures that Bethesda have shown the most in this year’s Skyrim demos, dragons! When will they appear, and how often will we fight them?

link : http://gaming-plus.blogspot.com/2011/10/todd-howard-on-skyrims-toughest.html

Sound rock!

SoulCollector
13-11-2011, 06:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/IntoxicatedWarrior?feature=mhee#p/u/0/h9brnBGjNeE
Arguably one of the best mods in the Elder scrolls? ^^

marzelancho
14-11-2011, 03:14 PM
I would recommend this game to anyone who would enjoy building their character. The options are limitless, just take in mind that there is an enormous amount of land to explore. The catch is, it would depend on how you build your character, which would determine if you will be able to proceed deeper into certain areas of the game. I really enjoyed this game very much, and the endless projects you can find yourself doing along the way.