PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King - Wii

CW
02-10-2008, 05:54 PM
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (released May 2008 on WiiWare)

Even though this isn't a game you can purchase by conventional means, I feel that it should at least be given some mention. This Final Fantasy game, shortened to FFCC: MLaaK, has been one of the most popular pieces of WiiWare on the WiiShop Channel since its release. This new style of gaming has introduced many new features. Such features as the Pay and Play option allows the improvement of quality of the game. The cherry on top of the 'ware sundae is the multiple control styles, easing the worry of switching controls when playing another game.

The Story itself is an interesting one, taking place a little while after the Meteor Parasite is destroyed and the miasma has dissipated. You play a young king named Leo (You can choose another name, your preference), who finds an empty, structureless kingdom during his travels. Suddenly, the crystal of this empty kingdom talks to you and gives you the magical, crystalline art of Architek. With the help of his attendants Chime and Sir Hugh Yurg, he tries to rebuild his father's kingdom, and protect it from the evil Dark Lord! But there's more...

You also learn a few things about the main characters' background. You learn of how Leo's father King Epitav mysteriously disappeared before the kingdoms desertion ; and you learn of how Architek and even the Dark Lord play their parts in the grand scheme of this game!

Between all the drama and shocking twists to the story, you slowly gain the knowledge to create new buildings, using Architek. You'll learn how to make new stores, parks, training centers, and even an Inn! The whole thing is pretty cool! The Pay and Play option even opens up new ways to improve and rebuild your kingdom! Adding Shrines to boost up on-field adventurers' stats, or learning race-specific abilities at the Library. http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2008/188/943657_20080707_screen002.jpg

The replay value is fun because things like acquired medals and certain buildings will automatically be available when you start a new game. But, you have to specify that you want to you use completed save data in your next game. You also have the choice of choosing a harder level of play for the next game to make it more challenging. Though, I recommend getting any of the good things on Easy. The hardest dungeon is lv. 100 on the hardest mode!

Much like the first Crystal Chronicles game there are stores for different crafts and items. The twist is that you fund the research instead of buying the items/skills yourself! Be warned, some can be very expensive to fund as the price for higher levels means more gil to spend. The other catch is that if the level difference between item/skill and adventurer is more than ten, it won't be of any use. The other key aspect is the building sizes and the size of each plot. When you're making a building, you must make use of the location. The placement must utilize the size of the plot to be of the best use. http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2008/135/reviews/943657_20080515_screen002.jpg

All in all, there are many cool features that you can enjoy with or without purchasing the downloadable content (DLC for short). The only plus with it is that there are more levels, items, and features to enjoy. The only downsides to the game is the frame speed slows down with more buildings. The other is that some levels may take awhile to complete due to low morale among adventures and the level in question may reset the exploration rate to 0 if specified.

This game is good for a timekiller and a useful way to practice strategy and management (it sorta plays on the management aspects some Sim games have). It may be one of the MOST expensive games on the WiiWare section, but it's worth the 1500 points (or more if you use the DLC option). I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys the world of Crystal Chronicles!

Rating: 9.5/10

Written by Lokker Gattez

CW
02-10-2008, 05:54 PM
The 2nd image is a little large but I hope we can all manage.

Vyse the Legend
02-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Good review, definately a game I will look into getting very shortly, though the price is a little steep for my choosing.

flameboy118
02-10-2008, 07:50 PM
why does everyone love CC? first the original- averages 7ish, got 9.5, now this which averages about 5-6!

Lokker Gattez
02-10-2008, 10:16 PM
I apologize for the large 2nd image, but it would've been difficult to resize and compress.

CW
02-10-2008, 10:33 PM
It would be easy if HTML turned on. I hope to receive more reviews from you soon.

Talentz
19-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Hmm i have yet to buy this game =/ but looking at this review urges me to buy it.

Erm. ah yeah. already been said but the 2nd image is slight big.

garfieldisntfat
19-10-2009, 11:46 PM
I would've liked some more screenshots from the game. Other than that, good.

mypcgamer
28-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Looks cool :-). Would like to try it.

Iguess i'm going to buy and will make a review as soon as possible.