PDA

View Full Version : Far Cry 2 - Xbox 360, PS3, PC

Dante
30-10-2008, 10:25 PM
Far Cry 2

There are those moments in gaming that you never forget. In Bioshock, there's that moment in Andrew Ryan's office, in Portal, there's GLaDOS' singing at the game's finale. In those games, it's is what the developer programmed the game to show you; what they wanted you to see. In Far Cry 2, I could give you so many moments that have been similarly engraved in my memories, and none of them were scripted.

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/890/890140/far-cry-2--20080715051121438_640w.jpg

For instance, take my assault on the Police Station. Cunning as ever, I had decided to enter from the back of the compound, taking them by surprise. Phase one of my master plan went perfectly. I crawled through the long grass, coming up behind an unsuspecting sniper in his wooden watchtower. Thinking on my feet, I take aim with my RPG Launcher. In the chaos that followed, I would mop up the confused soldiers in the camp below.

Of course, plans never go quite how you want them to. I fire my RPG, which then thuds to the ground a couple of metres in front of me. The plants behind me then catch fire thanks to the backblast, and the foliage ahead of me is alight thanks to the resulting explosion. What follows is chaos as I predicted, yet I still managed to complete my mission.

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/890/890140/far-cry-2--20080715051209671_640w.jpg

Then there's the time when I was caught up in a firefight at the Post Office (Sounds insane, I know. It happens often though, when you have two groups of football supporters and a Bargain Booze in close proximity). I was shot up badly. I ducked down, attempting to pry a bullet out of my leg. However, the enemy troops rudely chose to carry on firing, and soon it all started to go black. The next thing I see is the slightly aged face of ex-IRA man Frank Bilders, squinting down at me in that way that he did. Just a couple of hours earlier he had promised that if ever I was in trouble, he'd be there to help me out. I required his help a little sooner than I had expected.

He hauls me behind cover and hands me a pistol. "Stay down, the sniper's looking for noggins like yours" Frank says. We continue to fight the soldiers across the road, and before long I hear Frank calling to me. Calling for help. He's lying in the middle of the road, gasping for air. I'm all out of syrettes. I can't help him. The troops continue to fire on me. As the battle continues around him, Frank dies in agony.

Neither of those events were part of the story in any way. That Far Cry 2 can just confront you with moments like these during normal, non-story-driven play, is a truly remarkable achievement. Let's not overlook the basics here though. It's everything you'd expect a shooter to be. The guns are numerous and varied, and each one feels superb to use. The game crams in more explosions than I previously thought possible, and the raging infernos that follow them can really change the course of a fight.

Being a critic though, requires me to criticize a game and in fairness, Far Cry 2 is nothing like perfect. The AI is consistently idiotic, randomly turning and facing the opposite direction while you hold a shotgun to their spleen. Getting to the mission objectives requires travelling (No Oblivion style fast travel, apart from the buses) in one of the cars that litter the place. On the way, you will end up in a fight, whether you like it or not. You'll probably end up having to get out of the car and risk getting run down at five miles an hour which, as the laws of human anatomy clearly state, causes instant and fatal heart failure. Once you're there though, the missions are brilliant, usually requiring you to blow something up. Even if you don't, you'll find a loophole which allows you to blow something up.

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/890/890140/far-cry-2--20080715051140344_640w.jpg

The buddy system isn't a huge part of the game. They sometimes help you if you'll badly injured, and they'll give you alternate methods of completing missions. You can't ask them to help you out on a mission, which is a confusing omission of what seems like such an obvious feature. The story itself is better than I expected it to be. While the story driven sections are arguably the worst parts of the game, they certainly kept me playing, if only because it was quite confusing in parts. Many things are never quite explained, and I'd appreciate more backstory - to the buddies, to the Jackal, to the country and the war itself.

If you were worried about compatibility, it runs remarkably well on the Xbox 360. The game does very occasionally stutter, but it's nothing too bad. There is some noticeable pop-in, yet the game looks absolutely beautiful.

Far Cry 2 isn't quite the game it could have been thanks to some basic errors, but it isn't hard to overlook them thanks to the fantastic game that lies beneath.

Score: 9/10

flameboy118
30-10-2008, 10:36 PM
one issue -> you gave it about 3.0 too high *chortle chortle*

man im an arse

Dante
30-10-2008, 10:47 PM
one issue -> you gave it about 3.0 too high *chortle chortle*

man im an arse

Another issue: I rushed that. If I randomly change that in the future, it's because I'm not happy with it.

Also, yes you are an arse.

Star Hustler
30-10-2008, 10:48 PM
Strength and weakness of the radical decision in terms of open world + non-linear story path = some players will miss 60% of what you've created and call it too shallow of a story.

Actually Dante you should investigate and discover a lot of the hidden story elements that aren't nicely highlighted on your map. ;)

Trust me Far Cry 2 has a brilliant story.

Punkster
30-10-2008, 11:13 PM
wooh, can't wait to get this game.

flameboy118
30-10-2008, 11:22 PM
Strength and weakness of the radical decision in terms of open world + non-linear story path = some players will miss 60% of what you've created and call it too shallow of a story.

Actually Dante you should investigate and discover a lot of the hidden story elements that aren't nicely highlighted on your map. ;)

(source:gamespot)

'but it doesn't shed much light on their backgrounds. But that's par for the course; the main story is delivered in such a rushed, quick-and-dirty way that you never feel very involved in the game's overarching conflicts. The plot is less Blood Diamond than it is early Grand Theft Auto, a long roster of changing faces that scroll by far too quickly to capitalize on the politically charged setting.'

Star Hustler
30-10-2008, 11:47 PM
That gamespot reviewer obviously doesn't know what hes talking about.

flameboy118
31-10-2008, 12:05 AM
(source: ign)

'it's difficult to care at all about the story, setting, or characters in the game'

(they didnt really say anything about story)

Star Hustler
31-10-2008, 12:09 AM
Thats weird them saying that and then considering rating the game a 8.9 lol.

flameboy118
31-10-2008, 12:20 AM
Thats weird them saying that and then considering rating the game a 8.9 lol.

true. as gamespot said 'Although you can't say the same for the plot, Far Cry 2's first-person action squeezes every last drop of potential out of the unique African setting.'. maybe everything else is just really good?

im starting not to hate the game too much -> its got stuff going for it. i do quite like driving about such a pretty place -> it sometimes feels... unsettlingly special, like driving round arica in real life probably does. i quite like the fact that most of the buddies you could have played as, even if it affects nothing. but the 'approach everything how you want and make stuff up on the fly' gameplay was done earlier and better in crysis, AND with added enemy AI and nanosuit, so i guess i just resent farcry 2 for getting credit for crysis (a game not milked by ubi)'s work

Dante
31-10-2008, 04:59 PM

I shouldn't have to go looking for this "brilliant story". Just as an example of how hidden these story elements that Spinja refers to are, I managed to play through the game without ever finding out what country I was in. Does it even have a name, or were they too busy fighting to bother with one?

Punkster
31-10-2008, 06:13 PM
I shouldn't have to go looking for this "brilliant story". Just as an example of how hidden these story elements that Spinja refers to are, I managed to play through the game without ever finding out what country I was in. Does it even have a name, or were they too busy fighting to bother with one?

i don't know the name but according to wikipedia the african state it's set in is fictional.

and i hope you did work out that it's set in africa, otherwise you're a pillock for not realising.

Dante
31-10-2008, 08:22 PM
i don't know the name but according to wikipedia the african state it's set in is fictional.

and i hope you did work out that it's set in africa, otherwise you're a pillock for not realising.

I know it's fictional, but it doesn't even seem to have a name. And yeah, they constantly refer to Africa (Like "This is a great day for Africa") but never to the country itself. Strange, as the latter would make more sense.

Gamer king
09-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Its ridiculous when the RPG you've fired falls to the ground right in front of you, funny though.:D

OldGamer
12-11-2008, 10:10 PM
Good review, Dante.
Can you think of something which make FarCry 2 stand out as something special? How it is to compare with FarCry?
Thanks again for the review guys!

Dante
12-11-2008, 10:23 PM
Good review, Dante.
Can you think of something which make FarCry 2 stand out as something special? How it is to compare with FarCry?
Thanks again for the review guys!

Immersion. It never breaks your first person perspective. When you go into a building, you don't see a loading screen. Your arm reaches out and opens the door and you step in. There are other examples of immersion but I'm lazy.

Punkster
12-11-2008, 10:25 PM
when u drive a car, is it also in 1st person?

Dante
12-11-2008, 10:26 PM
when u drive a car, is it also in 1st person?

Yep, and you get in the car in first person. If you want to know where you're going, you grab your map and look down at it while you're driving.

Sanpreet
19-11-2008, 04:27 PM
nice review bro i just got the game and i can't wait to play it.

Bujaka
25-12-2008, 07:47 PM
nice review, even if rushed :D

ill hopefully get this on my bday or soon anyways. if you want it cheap game sale, £15:)

Rapture
25-12-2008, 09:20 PM
"On the way, you will end up in a fight, whether you like it or not."

Make that about 20 ****ing encounters, each one destroying the vehicle you were travelling in and any available ones.

Punkster
26-12-2008, 12:59 AM
"On the way, you will end up in a fight, whether you like it or not."

Make that about 20 ****ing encounters, each one destroying the vehicle you were travelling in and any available ones.

amen to that brother!!

it is very annoying when you have to traverse the entire map every bloody time and get heckled by guys with guns and no brains.

and it's boring having to get out of your car and fix it every time it gets shot a bit. either they should have made it so your car can withstand a bit more damage or they could have made it a bit more interesting when fixing your car by including a mini-game or make it really quick when you have to fix a car.

timmeh
26-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Far Cry 2 is a brilliant game but it's let down by the traveling section where you will always get attacked and someone will always try to run you over and quite often not end up with a vehicle.I'd give it 8/9 out of 10

Jenesix
15-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Far Cry 2 is a brilliant game

No Feral abilities makes this game an epic let down. It is not a Far Cry game or a true sequel it is merely another bog standard shooter with some pretty fire effects. I was very, very disappointed.

Ride the Walrus
15-07-2011, 11:34 AM
What a bump! :p you know I have this saved on my hardrive, taking up like half of it, but I refuse to delete it because I don't know why it's on there, and I'm not gonna delete a free game!

Had it on my Ps3 for a while though, it's nice, seems to drag a tad.

Jenesix
15-07-2011, 11:40 AM
I'm going through old reviews of games and adding my two cents.

trying to find games i've played that haven't been reviewed, then may just may have a crack at a review ;)

Ride the Walrus
15-07-2011, 11:43 AM
I'm going through old reviews of games and adding my two cents.

trying to find games i've played that haven't been reviewed, then may just may have a crack at a review ;)

Or to save time...
http://www.gamesforum.com/game-reviews/13335-review-glossary.html

Jenesix
15-07-2011, 11:47 AM
haha shadow strikes again! that is helpful.

im still going through old reviews :P