PDA

View Full Version : Super Mario Bros - 1985 - NES, VC

Rawgasm
17-11-2008, 11:34 PM
Super Mario Bros (1985)

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/3860/supermariobrosboxoc6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

1985, an epic year. Why? Because this is where our favourite little plumber got his third game, the first being Donkey Kong and the second being Mario Bros. So, here I am, little olí Rawpowered, giving GamesForum itís first ever NES game review and possible the oldest game in the review glossary, until someone does Pong.

So what did Mario do before Mario Party and the crappy sport titles? He was being kick-ass thatís what he was doing. The game is simple, you jump on Mushrooms and Turtles and all kinds of crazy ****. You start off small and if a enemy touches you, you lose a live. Whilst small you canít break open the blocks in the air but there are some blocks with a ? on it, hit it and something comes out, a mushroom which makes Mario bigger, when you get touched by a enemy as big Mario, you go back to being small, which means being big shields you from death. Címon this is 1985, the idea was good at the time, I think that this is good. You also can get Flowers which can make Mario throw fireballs to hurts enemies. Unfortunately, when you get hit as Fire Mario you go straight back to Small Mario and you will have to get a Mushroom and then a Flower to become Fire Mario again.

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/5160/nessupermariobrosaw2.png (http://imageshack.us)

So thatís controls, now whatís the Story? The Story was that Bowser, King of the Koopas (Turtles) has Kidnapped Princess Toadstool (Now known as Peach and is loved very much by DevianTARTlets everywhere) and Mario must go through 8 worlds to get the Princess back and Defeat Bowser. It would be nice if the guy you meet after you defeat a boss says ďThank you Mario! But our princess is in another castle!Ē Annoying ****. So yeah not much of a story.

This is where I would talk about the first level but I canít really describe it, I feel like Iím writing hardly anything at all, a lot like someone I know (10 points for correct guess).

There is a multiplayer mode where Mario is Aided by, drum roll pleaseÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ. WEEGEE!!!!!!! Player 1 plays Mario and Player 2 plays as Weegee. The players take turns doing the levels and getting to the end, if Player 1 dies, Player 2 will have to do this level and visa-versa.

I havenít written much so hereís something youíll never see me write about in a review ever. Graphics. Why donít I talk about it? Because it isnít important, So Graphics make a game look nice, big-****ing-whoop, Iíd rather play this then **** of Doody, so **** you PS3 and your HD mumbo-jumbo. Even for 8-bit graphics this game has a lot of charm.

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/3046/bowser28smb129ss8.png (http://imageshack.us)

CONCLUSION

Being the third Mario game ever Iím saying Mario was great here, although thereís not a lot to see it still beats the crap out of all the sport titles, all of them, even the ones that arenít Mario spin-offs. Pure HeavenÖ

+ For something so old, it still shines bright
+ Even the sound is great, and is very catchy
+ Visuals are good, even for 8-bit
+ One of the Best Platformers ever
- Still, something is missing, oh yeah, faults

flameboy118
17-11-2008, 11:38 PM
wait, the third mario game ever? am i missing something?

visuals are good, even for 8-bit doesn't make sense. 'even' suggests 'even for a top-end pc game'. you really want to say something about the now classical simplcity despite techincal ineptitude of the time

garfieldisntfat
18-11-2008, 12:42 AM
Simple and short. I think you could have covered a few other small things, maybe mention a few enemies, the maps, shortcuts possibly.
+1 @ the conclusion. Agree with you on everything written there.

Shooting Palanx
18-11-2008, 05:40 AM
Good review, but yeah felt more could have been mentioned, but still awesome review.

Daeanu
18-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Awesome review, I agree with others that it could be abit longer but it was still an awesome review none the less :)

vrc2k?
18-11-2008, 06:12 PM
The origional super mario bros, almost everyone has fond memories of this game, it's what kick started the nes.

Selling over 40 million copies super mario bros was (and still is) the greatest selling game ever, and too right, it introduced so many great ideas into gaming and any it didn't introduce it improved upon.

When you start playing the game the first thing you'll recognise (apart from 'wow, the screen's glowin') will be the brilliant music, after more than twenty years its still catchy. when you hit enemies you get that satisfying little chime and whenever you get to underground you hear the brilliant theme. sigh, tastes like retro.

Now, the game is very simply put together, you go through an above ground level, then an underground level, then another level and then one of bowsers castles followed by a simple boss fight and getting told that the 'princess is in another tower' rinse and then repeat 7 more times.

It all seems rather boring but the levels are just brilliantly designed and well paced, the game is never inconsistant starting easy and slowly getting more difficult all the way until the end, the enemies are simple but pretty clever for the time, a standard enemy that you just need to jump on, an enemy that you have to jump on but could then kick around to kill other enemies, an anemy who could just be killed with a fireball or shell, fireballs flying at you or coming out of the ground, an enemy that you can't jump on, an unkillable falling block and a speeding bullet that could be killed by being jumped on.

Killing enemies is generally simple and works well but you can also jump at the underneath of some blocks to kill enemies. another great thing was the power ups, usually you would just die after 1 hit but you could hit a mushroom which would make you invincible for one hit but there was a downside, you were bigger and it was easier to be hit. then there was the fire flower, it allows you to fire little fireballs, these bounced up and down and need skill to use properly.

Super mario bros introduced a few new(ish) ideas, the first thing was having a goal and not just chasing high scores like most games.
The other was secrets, most games now have secrets but climbing onto the roof of the undergroung (hang on, that makes no sense) and running to the end allowed you to get to the secret WARP ZONE this is so simple now but the first time a i got to one without being told about them i felt proud of my secret finding skills :D

Add onto this amazing level design, about 4 hours of gameplay and one of the greatest game designers to the mix and you have a game that well deserves the sales it got.
everything seems so simple and basic now but it is just done so well it still stands up against modern platformers and comes off on top in most cases.

Also being packaged with the console didn't do it any harm either.

+brilliant level design
+brilliant music
+brilliant enemies and power ups
+pretty lengthy (for its time)
-erm, its a little basic

woop, what do you think of my review?

garfieldisntfat
18-11-2008, 08:50 PM
The origional super mario bros, almost everyone has fond memories of this game, it's what kick started the nes.

Selling over 40 million copies super mario bros was (and still is) the greatest selling game ever, and too right, it introduced so many great ideas into gaming and any it didn't introduce it improved upon.

When you start playing the game the first thing you'll recognise (apart from 'wow, the screen's glowin') will be the brilliant music, after more than twenty years its still catchy. when you hit enemies you get that satisfying little chime and whenever you get to underground you hear the brilliant theme. sigh, tastes like retro.

Now, the game is very simply put together, you go through an above ground level, then an underground level, then another level and then one of bowsers castles followed by a simple boss fight and getting told that the 'princess is in another tower' rinse and then repeat 7 more times.

It all seems rather boring but the levels are just brilliantly designed and well paced, the game is never inconsistant starting easy and slowly getting more difficult all the way until the end, the enemies are simple but pretty clever for the time, a standard enemy that you just need to jump on, an enemy that you have to jump on but could then kick around to kill other enemies, an anemy who could just be killed with a fireball or shell, fireballs flying at you or coming out of the ground, an enemy that you can't jump on, an unkillable falling block and a speeding bullet that could be killed by being jumped on.

Killing enemies is generally simple and works well but you can also jump at the underneath of some blocks to kill enemies. another great thing was the power ups, usually you would just die after 1 hit but you could hit a mushroom which would make you invincible for one hit but there was a downside, you were bigger and it was easier to be hit. then there was the fire flower, it allows you to fire little fireballs, these bounced up and down and need skill to use properly.

Super mario bros introduced a few new(ish) ideas, the first thing was having a goal and not just chasing high scores like most games.
The other was secrets, most games now have secrets but climbing onto the roof of the undergroung (hang on, that makes no sense) and running to the end allowed you to get to the secret WARP ZONE this is so simple now but the first time a i got to one without being told about them i felt proud of my secret finding skills :D

Add onto this amazing level design, about 4 hours of gameplay and one of the greatest game designers to the mix and you have a game that well deserves the sales it got.
everything seems so simple and basic now but it is just done so well it still stands up against modern platformers and comes off on top in most cases.

Also being packaged with the console didn't do it any harm either.

+brilliant level design
+brilliant music
+brilliant enemies and power ups
+pretty lengthy (for its time)
-erm, its a little basic

woop, what do you think of my review?

There's also something called respect. It could be just me but I think it's low to post your own review in someone elses reviewthread.

Dante
18-11-2008, 08:57 PM
There's also something called respect. It could be just me but I think it's low to post your own review in someone elses reviewthread.

Actually, that's what you're supposed to do if you want to review a game that has already been reviewed.

CW
18-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Indeed it is, although only journalists are meant to do it without PMing it to me first really.

vrc2k?
18-11-2008, 10:19 PM
aah, i didn't know who i was ment to pm it to, the last person i heard about was nintengod but he doesn't want to do it anymore.

edit. also what is the point in pming it if you can just put it up? there wouldn't be anypoint in having it go through another person.

CW
18-11-2008, 10:21 PM
It does actually say in the game review rules to send it to me but now you know for next time

vrc2k?
18-11-2008, 10:22 PM
aah, ok

but... whats the point?

CW
18-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Its exactly the same as if you submited a review for a game not already reviewed. It has to be plagerism checked before posting

Nintengod
18-11-2008, 10:46 PM
Great game, although the main Mario Bros games have got better over time. Mario Bros 3, Mario World, Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy are significantly better than the original.....but of course this was the game that kicked it all off.

CW
18-11-2008, 11:01 PM
mario 2 is cack

P-Sleva
18-11-2008, 11:41 PM
I was a revolutionary step foward in gaming history. One of the first 2d games that actually scrolled from left to right instead of having a set screen like Donkey Kong and Mario Brothers. It was the reason that I jumped in on a NES.

Nintengod
19-11-2008, 12:59 AM
I was a revolutionary step foward in gaming history. One of the first 2d games that actually scrolled from left to right instead of having a set screen like Donkey Kong and Mario Brothers. It was the reason that I jumped in on a NES.

We need more pics of you p-sleva.....its not right that we only have one picture of you lurking around with a 3 year old girl on a beach trying to ply her with ice cream!

Anyways, I agree with your mario sentiments!

P-Sleva
19-11-2008, 01:10 AM
We need more pics of you p-sleva.....its not right that we only have one picture of you lurking around with a 3 year old girl on a beach trying to ply her with ice cream!

Anyways, I agree with your mario sentiments!

Ha ha ha. You are funny, I only do it cause I love you buddy.:D

Nintengod
19-11-2008, 01:13 AM
Ha ha ha. You are funny, I only do it cause I love you buddy.:D

I know, which is quite worrying! I want to let you down gently - me and you....its not going to happen!

Shooting Palanx
19-11-2008, 01:31 AM
This game is awesome, I've got Mario All Stars on Emulator and it's fun. This is the first mario I'm assuming?

Well it was fun, but I hated not being able to go back lol.

P-Sleva
19-11-2008, 04:16 AM
I know, which is quite worrying! I want to let you down gently - me and you....its not going to happen!

:eek: :confused: :( :( :( :o ;)

Shooting Palanx
19-11-2008, 03:20 PM
The only thing I didn't like was that you couldn't go backwards, which sucked, you just had to move forward.

Loved the underground stages.

Vyse the Legend
24-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Ah what great memories, still such a brilliant classic, even well over twenty years later. I can't remember how long I must have spent trying to perfect my times and scores on each level, great stuff! :p

Ace
28-11-2008, 06:11 AM
I really wouldn't mind playing the first level of that game 50 times in a row it was that fun.

Shooting Palanx
28-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Ah what great memories, still such a brilliant classic, even well over twenty years later. I can't remember how long I must have spent trying to perfect my times and scores on each level, great stuff! :p

Times and scores?

I just wanted to finish the level :p

Vyse the Legend
28-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Oh that's what I did at the start, but once I'd done that, I would try and get as a high a score as possible, and see how fast I could make it through each stage, just to add a new level of challenge. I think you were the one SP that posted that Youtube clip of the angry guy who kept dying on the game, which reminded me of me at times, just without the abuse, as I was loving the game to care. :D

Shooting Palanx
30-11-2008, 01:50 PM
You are indeed a hardcore gamer.

The levels were annoying at times, especially playing it by emulator now, the controls are still a little shaky.

Rawgasm
30-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Oh that's what I did at the start, but once I'd done that, I would try and get as a high a score as possible, and see how fast I could make it through each stage, just to add a new level of challenge. I think you were the one SP that posted that Youtube clip of the angry guy who kept dying on the game, which reminded me of me at times, just without the abuse, as I was loving the game to care. :D

Vyse is livin' the good life

Vyse the Legend
30-11-2008, 02:00 PM
Well I did like that you really could feel the difficulty curve going up, so that you never felt like you were doing something too easy or hard when you shouldn't be. Compare that to some games today, when it's more a mumble.

Shooting Palanx
01-12-2008, 01:59 PM
Some games of today is still very hard, such as Ninja Gaiden on the xbox *shudders*

Vyse the Legend
01-12-2008, 03:35 PM
That's true, though I think many of the simplistic games to play and understand can also be the toughest. I mean look at this game, the premise is easy, and yet in latter levels you can really struggle.

xtinah2
02-12-2008, 07:38 AM
Great Review. Possibly one of the greatest games.

Ace
05-12-2008, 07:21 AM
Some games of today is still very hard, such as Ninja Gaiden on the xbox *shudders*

Let's not get started on Ninja Gaiden....PLEASE. Lol man even the Xbox demo was hard!! Could barely beat the boss with the Nunchucks.

angelinalove
05-12-2008, 07:45 AM
I still love super mario thats the most awesome game ever

Thats what I do believe about this game. Anyways, review is good.