PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider Legend

CW
22-11-2008, 12:13 AM
Tomb Raider: Legend (Released 2006)

This game is the prequel to the new Tomb Raider: Underworld (2008) Which involves Lara Croft going back to the her past when she was a child. When her mother and her found a sword in a stone known as a Dias. She witnessed a horrible end to her mother's life, or so she thought.

http://www.cnet.com.au/i/r/2006/Games/PS2/22056700/sc006.jpg

She starts off by going to Bolivia in search of her friend Anaya Imanu after she mentions a Stone Dias located there. She eventually finds out that it is a piece of the sword she found when she was nine years old with her mother, all while fighting off mercs that are looking for the stone dias as well under the command of James Rutland, also a tomb raider. Unfortunately James had discovered the piece first. Then on goes an amazing adventure into Lara's past. The game visits many lush enviroments and spectacular scenes.

http://www.dignews.com/admin/screenshoot/tomb_raider_legend_360_19.jpg

All in all, in my opinion i find this game really amazing for a puzzle adventure. It is the seventh Tomb Raider game to come but the first to use a whole new game engine to revamp the series. Setting a whole new standard for the Tomb Raider games. In my opinion i think this game is the start of an amazing story and uses very nice elements graphics wise and plot wise. Also there are other cool features to the game such as being able to play around in Lara Croft's Manor. You are also able to run through the levels once they are beaten to do a Time Trial to unlock other cool features. These are cheats and alternate costumes. When you finish a level at firs tyou are able to use that costume but there are others you get from doing time trials.

Graphics: 8/10 - Very nice effects but not the very best.
Audio: 10/10 - Was never a problem with audio in the game.
Storyline: 8/10 - Very good plot and story elements.

Overall: 9/10

Written by x.oxidious.x

thetombraider
22-11-2008, 05:53 PM
A generally OK review. I'd have to disagree with audio, overall and storyline however.

Mine would be:
Graphics 9/10
Audio 8/10
Storyline 7/10 (A bit naff)

Dante
22-11-2008, 07:54 PM
I was going to buy this earlier, but decided against it and went for a Pacman t-shirt.

thetombraider
22-11-2008, 09:29 PM
I've always wanted Mario decals... ;)

garfieldisntfat
23-11-2008, 05:11 PM
I was going to buy this earlier, but decided against it and went for a Pacman t-shirt.

I would have done the same. Never been a big fan of Lara Croft.

As for the review.. I think it bases way too much on the story of the game, that's all.
Otherwise I like it.

Dark Seducer
23-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Pretty good review, but you forgot to mention it's short when you're really getting into it. lol Would recommend anyone here to get it at the cheapest price because of this.

For those of you who want to know more about gameplay, it has a combination of tomb exploring levels and action levels, there's also two levels where you're on a bike, but have to keep going forward, there's no stopping or reversing. There's very few puzzles to solve, but the ones that are available are pretty cool and interesting. The bosses aren't as ridiculous as the last bosses in TR II and TR III. I'd like to think of the difficulty being that of TR IV.

As CW has already said, it definately is the start of something great in the TR series because TRU really has been a pleasure to play so far and I would recommend that game to anyone looking for a good, decent adventure game. You don't have to play Legend to know what's going on in TRU because you get the recap, but playing Legend just for the experience is worth it.

thetombraider
23-11-2008, 07:13 PM
I'd have to completely disagree. So, it was good with the non-fans and all.. But us fans don't really like next-gen Lara as much as we like the old Lara. The gameplay isn't similar at ALL and the new games are so much easier, and less solid, less fresh, less scary actually. Lara's just known for big ti** nowadays, and known for being pretty much the ONLY popular (moving on to becoming unpopular) female character.

Tomb Raider IV was challenging, Legend was pi** easy. The storyline was naff, mainly because Lara changed from hard to soft. I didn't mind this, because I fell in love with Lara all over again, but the enemies were rubbish and Excalibur? Come off it.

Yeah, it was 7-8/10 but there are so many other great Tomb Raiders, Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness (excuse the controls, the story and gameplay was still good), Tomb Raider III, Tomb Raider I and Tomb Raider II. Legend and Anniversary weren't the best, Anniversary being the indefinite worst, it's literally just climb, climb, shoot which is not a Tomb Raider.

Underworld is what I will be reviewing soon, however, which should be an excellent game. Nobody else review it before the end of January:D!

Dark Seducer
23-11-2008, 07:31 PM
I'd have to completely disagree. So, it was good with the non-fans and all.. But us fans don't really like next-gen Lara as much as we like the old Lara. The gameplay isn't similar at ALL and the new games are so much easier, and less solid, less fresh, less scary actually. Lara's just known for big ti** nowadays, and known for being pretty much the ONLY popular (moving on to becoming unpopular) female character.

Tomb Raider IV was challenging, Legend was pi** easy. The storyline was naff, mainly because Lara changed from hard to soft. I didn't mind this, because I fell in love with Lara all over again, but the enemies were rubbish and Excalibur? Come off it.

Yeah, it was 7-8/10 but there are so many other great Tomb Raiders, Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness (excuse the controls, the story and gameplay was still good), Tomb Raider III, Tomb Raider I and Tomb Raider II. Legend and Anniversary weren't the best, Anniversary being the indefinite worst, it's literally just climb, climb, shoot which is not a Tomb Raider.

Underworld is what I will be reviewing soon, however, which should be an excellent game. Nobody else review it before the end of January:D!

I actually found TR IV to be quite easy actually, TR III and II were the most challenging for me along with some parts of Chronicles, the only thing I'm not happy about is the way they keep changing Lara's story from how she ended up an adventurer/archeologist.

Legend was a new beginning to bring new gamers to the franchise, so they wiped everything about the original Lara and came up with a whole new Lara along with up to date gameplay, for what passes as up to date gameplay anyway, it keeps it fresh I guess aswell.

The people who've played the game from the beginning will never forget the older greater games, and the screaming as Lara falls to her death on another attempt at that crazy jump. lol

The original Tomb Raider will always be my favourite by far, but as far as the new style goes, I think they got it right with Underworld. I just appreciate the work they've done to try and keep it going, and maybe gain some new fans along the way.

I guess some people just view it in different ways.

The only thing I liked about Anniversary was the DvD that came with the Collectors edition. Some parts of the game were unbelieveably difficult.

thetombraider
23-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Weren't really difficult but awkward. I also thought updating Lara was a good idea, but they just didn't do it right. If they made her into what she is now, then that would've been good. For the next game, however, they NEED to move on to a different story. And make it SO hard, and focus on action and maybe even her father?

Dark Seducer
23-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Weren't really difficult but awkward. I also thought updating Lara was a good idea, but they just didn't do it right. If they made her into what she is now, then that would've been good. For the next game, however, they NEED to move on to a different story. And make it SO hard, and focus on action and maybe even her father?

It was difficult for me because of the constant glitches it had and that camera angling, especially the Wii version, Tomb Raider doesn't work on the Wii, not for me anyway.

Tomb Raider shouldn't be so hard, the first one wasn't and it doesn't need action, it's about exploration and debt, not to mention puzzle solving. I suppose the combination of both works rather well though, but more raiding of the tombish would be nice.

You only encountered about 4 people in Tomb Raider I, and it felt better that way. It was cooler with the beasts.

I just prefer the puzzle exploration concept to it, it was relaxing and gave the mind some work to do. lol

x.oxidious.x
24-11-2008, 09:01 AM
well thanks for the comments! I like the constructive critics! I guess a just really enjoyed the story because I like how something used as fiction was brought to life and looked at as real. Also I loved the old tomb raider games. I loved anniversary as well. I think that they all have qualities that makes them very decent games. Also I bought Legend for $9.99! How can you go wrong there! Also yes, the gameplay was good I did not enjoy the motorcycle levels all that much as you could pretty much fly by all the enemies and collect medipacks easily if you do get pegged. Other than that i loved the game. I don't think it should be so agressively put down because it shows a lot of potential and Underworld looks like it will only further that potential now that it has next-gen qualities for every console owner. I do not believe that Lara Croft should become unpopular at all. What are they going to make after her? A guy? The only game i find similar was Drake's Fortune which was AMAZING I might add. I will never stop enjoying Tomb Raider games. I always seem to find the good in them.

Vyse the Legend
24-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Is this your first review Oxidious?

If so, I like what you've done, though I would try and make it a little longer if you can, especially if you can go into a little more depth perhaps in some areas. Good job on the review as a whole though, I'm sure you will go from strength to strength if you decide to do some more.

x.oxidious.x
24-11-2008, 10:22 PM
absolutely i want the green name BAD man...i love doing reviews. Also denfinitely i will try to go longer and more in depth with more than the story on my next review...it's hard to do reviews that people wanna see though because right now i only have my ps2 since my ps3 was stolen 2 months ago...but im getting a 360 because i heard down the grapevine im getting a ps3 for christmas! lol

Vyse the Legend
24-11-2008, 11:33 PM
Ok well I'll look forward to seeing your reviews, though honestly you don't get some awesome special privileges for becoming a journo, besides really being able to do reviews on your own more freely. I wouldn't care if my name were green or not to be honest, as long as I can do reviews when I can and have them up, and if people like them then all the better.

x.oxidious.x
24-11-2008, 11:53 PM
lol well i love writing the reviews so people can get a user fed opinion on the game instead of a professional view. i just sent a review to cw for Killzone...its much longer and more in depth (i think...) so check that out when he puts it up!