Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    In the eternal land of seclusion... the void.

Resident Evil 5 - Xbox 360 (and some history)

The History

Attachment 376

Let's take a trip down memory lane... while being chased by Nemesis...

1996...The Arklay Mountains...
    "You were nearly a Jill Sandwhich!"
    Resident Evil hit shelves way back in 1996 on the Playstation, and opened the door on the "Survival Horror" gaming genre. The first time I encountered this franchise was the 1997 directors cut and it offered heart-stopping scares, deadly puzzles, enthralling plot, deep characters, and the lovably bad voice-acting/dialogue contributed to the dark, uneasy and rather 'B-Movieish' atmosphere.

1998...Raccoon City
    "First day on the job... great, huh. Name's Leon Kennedy, nice to meet you."
    There was a lot of hype regarding Resident Evil 2 upon its release and this is the game that, arguably set in stone the path of the Resident Evil franchise what it is today. It departed from the 'B-Movie' of Resident Evil: more action, more zombies, and more gore. Graphicaly, it was an improvement to the series and despite it's complete revamp of atmosphere, there were classic horror movie moments that made you jump on your first play. And second. And third. Puzzle-wise, there were striking similiarities to Resident Evil and character-wise, the introduction of new characters sowed the seeds of success for future titles... and movies. Despite it's shortness, sales were good, and Resident Evil 2 has been cemented, firmly, as survival horror gold.

"September 28th, daylight. The monsters have overtaken the city. Somehow... I'm still alive."Resident Evil 3 continued with the action packed run-for-your-life gameplay; it was a heartstopper, but was again another departure from previous titles. The series seemed to be lacking the horror and focused more on surviving - which perhaps seemed repetative: indeed, many have claimed Resident Evil 3, to be merely Resident Evil 2.5.

1999...Rockfort island/Antartica
    "Your identification number is WKD4496, welcome to your new home..."Cue a re-invention. Thanks to the Dreamcast the series revived an injection of atmosphere, graphical quality and slickness, previously unknown to survival horror. Resident Evil: Code Veronica. It brought the series back to its roots; story and longitivity.

Due to its popularity and the release of the Game Cube, the Resident Evil franchise was once again re-introduced from the beginning. With jaw dropping visuals, slightly better voice actors, faster zombies with some enchancements, different puzzles, along with some nostalgia for veteran Resident Evil fans, the first Resident Evil was reborn once again. It still remains to date as one of the best looking games ever released. Followed by Resident Evil Zero, which introduced a partner character into the game, and this was where the series was becoming something more.

Finally Resident Evil 4 hit the shelves with a total gameplay make-over. The gameplay involves the an over shoulder view point when your gun is drawn,althogh you still cannot move while your weapon is drawn like the previous titles, it's just a different view point. There seemed to be a lot of dislike for the game because of it's awkward view point, it got mixed reviews, but eventually won the hearts of most gamers. It was atmospheric, very long, a survival horror, what else do you want? The only problem some gamers may have had with it, was no inverted option for the camera, which can be a struggle for a good while, especially on the Ps2 version. Any game that involves shooting should have this option. It also added few old ideas, like having a partner for a limited amount of time, even though she was annoying as hell.

And that's the history .....

So how does Resident Evil 5 match up to the rest of the series?

Lets find out.....

Resident Evil 5 - Xbox 360

Attachment 375

The Game

Before buying this game I tried out the demo, graphics were impressive to say the least, and surprisingly it's not dull. There's actual sunlight, unlike previous titles. It's a welcoming change in atmosephere, even though it offers no scares what-so-ever, it does offer an adreneline ride not to be taken lightly. As said I played the demo first, and wasn't impressed with the control system at all, because I thought they left out the inverted camera angling yet again. Later learned that it was added, so bought the game (was gonna buy it anyway) and got playing.

The cutscenes are very impressive and a joy to watch, sometimes you feel captivated by the stunning visuals and body movements of the characters, the motion blur also had quite an affect on character movement and explosions.

It's length somewhere in the middle of long and short, although it can be short if you take the shortcuts, these shortcuts aren't easy to find on your first few playthroughs. Sometimes online play can be helpful cause someone who's experienced can show them to you, along with other collectables to be found.

Another thing about this game is that it can become quite addicting, especially if you want achievements/trophies, which are fun to achieve, especially the ones that seem tough, there's plenty to bring you back for more. This includes unlocking more challenging modes to beat, but these modes can be unkindly easy if you have a Magnum, unlimited Rocket Launcher and a shotgun, especially the Hyrda Shotgun, which can kinda ruin it for you if you're a competative gamer.

Attachment 377

The QTE's (Quick Time Events) can be a bit of a pain when they pop up, but thankfully the checkpoints can be generous at these points, it can take a few tries to get it right. It can get annoying that the sequences keep changing though.

The bossfights were definately great fun, and some involved special ways of defeating them, they don't involve the same tedious point and shoot with your gun, cause using the special weapons provided was a treat. Some of these weapons are a reminder me of the earlier games, like the laser and flame-thrower.

Speaking of earlier games, we see a return of several Resident Evil characters and the end of an era for one of them. There's also a return from one of Resident Evil 2's most talked about enemies. You also have a partner throughout the game, whether it be AI or another person, which can be quite helpful, but it can also be frustrating at times.

As like previous titles, there are puzzles to be solved, but not that many, which I would've liked.

Like all games, Resident Evil 5 does not come without its flaws. Sometimes the checkpoints can be harsh, for example you could be fighting a boss and the chackpoint will place you back right in the firing line after you die. Sometimes the AI character can get annoying, by using the wrong type of weapon, not equipping the right weapon, not healing you when you're critical, standing in the firing line, etc..

The Story

The story isn't Resident Evil 5's strongest point, probably the weakest, but it is entertaining to watch, due to those attractive cutscenes and reasonable voice-actors. It involves the game's two protagonists, Chris Redfield and his partner Sheva Alamar being sent to the African region to investigate a terrorist attack. Things escalate as a new threat is revealed and to who's behind the terrorist attacks. Story, in general was never really the strong point of any Resident Evil title. I'll leave it there to avoid spoilers.

Control System

Resident Evil 5's control system is similiar to that of Resident Evil 4's. Again you have the over-the-shoulder view point, only I found that you can see the enemies better in this one. The two characters also have different view points. Chris is shown on the left, while Sheva is shown on the right. I like this concept, as it offers a new perspective on your second playthrough. Sheva has to be unlocked first though, before you get to use her, we have short-cut keys on the D-Pad aswell, a nice addition indeed, but I never use them, always forgot they were there. Opening the menu isn't too bad, but the game doesn't pause while in there, you'll still get attacked.

The learning curve doesn't take that long to get a hang of, however if you're new to this type of control system it may take a little while, which can be frustrating when trying to aim at in-coming numourous enemies.

Online Play

Online play isn't a new addition to a Resident Evil title, but never appeared in any of the main series, until now. A very welcoming addition to the series aswell. I found online play to be fantastic, infact the first time I played this game was with an online partner, it does make the game more fun, and even though you both still die, it takes the frustration of the AI character getting in your way, away. You can also join other games by either custom or a list, from all regions. You can also adjust the settings, depending if you want just anyone or a friend joining your game, or you can set it to Rogue (solo) to avoid the annoyance of others.

Attachment 379

There's also a return of the Mercenaries game along with a Vs. mode, which add more fun and challenges to the online experiences. A shame that they only added this in now. You can either team up or do the challenges alone.

Overall

Resident Evil 5 doesn't offer anything new to the series, apart from online co-op mode in the main story, but it's a thrill ride to play, that brings you back for more. It's not as long as Resident Evil 4, not as scary, atmospheric and dark as previous titles in the series, but it's a whole lot of fun and has some points of it's own that the other titles simply do not have.

Gamescore - 9.5

Attachment 378

Review Written by - Dark Seducer

History Written and Editted by - Dark Seducer & InfectiousHumanWasteR

RE5: Lost In Nightmares Episode review > Resident Evil 5: Lost In Nightmares
    Last edited by Dark Seducer; 07-02-2013 at 01:18 PM.

Probably the biggest review here! I will edit my post once I read this novel

EDIT POST: A great review, Neptune :P Nice and lengthy! Keep them coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Zikato
    Hippin' and a hoppin' and your bippin' and your boppin'

great review love the game (all of them except those weird online ones) well done you two

Nemo
    best review on GF....well worth an award

I'd love to disagree and quarrel about the game and your score for it, but it's all opinion at the end of the day, and it won't stop me from complimenting you on this superb review. I still need to do it on Professional though!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowez View Post
    I'd love to disagree and quarrel about the game and your score for it, but it's all opinion at the end of the day, and it won't stop me from complimenting you on this superb review. I still need to do it on Professional though!
    I need to do Veteran and get good guns with unlimited ammo before attempting Professional... (I need to do Veteran to unlock it anyway!)

Prosecuting with style Vyse the Legend's Avatar
    Without a doubt one of the best reviews I've read, so big props to the pair of you, I know from experience that doing a double review is a little more challenging, but certainly more rewarding.

As for the game I'd give it a 9, simply because there are little things that naggle away at me, and maybe being a long term RE fan, as nice as it is too see familiar faces like Chris back, it still has lost it's charm that I grew up with as a kid. Still there is an awful lot to the game, and it's no surprise that it's done well, but I do wonder and worry where the next step is, because it does seem like it can't go to far.

Thanks for the comments guys, I wrote it up last night, took me about 5 hours. Murray helped re-write and edit some of the history, and did a great job.

Yeah I was kinda tired when scoring it, I feel it should be 9.5, because of flaws.

I'm on a mobile phone and editing it now would be a pain!

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune's Bounty View Post
    Thanks for the comments guys, I wrote it up last night, took me about 5 hours. Murry helped re-write and edit some of the history, and did a great job.

Yeah I was kinda tired when scoring it, I feel it should be 9.5, because of flaws.

I'm on a mobile phone and editing it now would be a pain!
    It took you 5 hours? I think that is where my reviews go wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedclark View Post
    It took you 5 hours? I think that is where my reviews go wrong!
    Reviews require a fair amount of time, it helps to write down what you want to say about the game first. See my sub-headings? I wrote them down first, it helps, and don't forget asking for a second opinion before posting it.

I did stop for breaks, so technically it took less than 5 hours. I put alot've time into playing this so I wanted it to be a good one, and I owe it to the series in general.