Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In the eternal land of seclusion... the void.

Devil May Cry 4 - 360 - Ps3 - P.C

Devil May Cry 4

PS3.CAPCOM.2008

Before I begin, I must start by saying that I've been in the middle grounds for Devil May Cry since the first game was released. Not once have I loved a DMC game, nor did I hate them.

I found the first game innovative, fun, stylish, yet extremely short. The 2nd game felt rushed, and really didn't do the series justice, however I still had fun beating enemies up. 3 I really had no desire to play, but I was hoping they'd innovate more, to keep the series fresh. The story in this game was awesome, but really there was nothing new....except for it being extremely difficult.

Now, I originally heard about DMC4 from a friend when it was still in early development. I was excited that they decided to switch up the character, and was thoroughly impressed at how nice the graphics looked...Boy was I disappointed when I popped this game in.

Story: I like to keep this part short, I'm not going to spoil anything, but basically the game begins with this character "NERO", arm in sling, heading towards this big cathedral place..after a nonsensical cutscene Dante comes in and they fight....etc

Really, I was hoping the story would be good, but as the game progressed I just felt as if it was tacked on by a 14 year old boy last minute. The story really really doesn't do anything new, and to be honest it was bare and boring.

Graphics: These were excellent for the time. Playing the game today, they really look dated as far as new games are concerned(MW2, U2). But even despite that, the graphics are great to look at. Dantes facial hair shows perfectly, the lightings great, Nero's animations are smooth, and really the scenery is a lot better than previous games. The previous games felt like I was just running through a narrow never ending dark hallway the entire time. This game switches it up with some snowy places, etc.

Gameplay: This was really the problem I had with this game. Not only did it NOT innovate at all, they took the DMC3 combat system and said "Hey, how about we just get rid of all the challenge it had, and make it so button mashing a single button makes you pull off insane combos". This game was pathetically easily. I honestly had not a single challenge throughout it at all. Maybe the normal combat is harder, but the 'AUTOMATIC' bull**** was just pointless.

Once again, the enemies were really boring to beat up on, seeing the same boring enemies over and over gets really tiring, since I take them all down as if it's Mario jumping on a Goombas' head.

What the hell is with these invisible walls? I can stand the boring story, the linear as hell gameplay, but I hate when developers don't give enough of a **** to at least add areas to explore. DMC has always been EXTREMELY linear, but on a next gen console, this doesn't fly. I see all these big high cliffs and stretches of land and buildings I want to explore, yet literally everything except a TINY path you follow the entire game is blocked off by nothing more than invisible walls or 2 foot high rocks you could easily jump over. THERE IS NO EXCUSE CAPCOM.

Music: What is there to say? Same boring metal that puts you to sleep. I'm positive that if you listen to disturbed you'd probably like it, but hearing that same song over and over while I smash the Square button with my eyes closed gets tiring. There is really nothing outstanding about the music..

Overall this game was insulting, it's as if they just decided to cash in, knowing the DMC fans don't give a hell about whether or not the game is good.

Final Score : 3/10

This is honestly a piece of junk. The only way I could recommend this game is if you have a really bad anger problem and want to kill something. Then you might have SOME fun with it. But please, rent before you buy, and rent with caution.

Written and anihilated by - ChelseaSmile

haha good review (though i have to disagree) but try it on dante must die mode or hell and hell mode (those are impossible) but you did make some good points though espically about combat system (well for dante at least) but its your opinion so what i say means none
    Well its time for me to draw the curtain nop this plesant night so that i can sleep to keep my nop alight.

I honestly don't think it deserved a 3/10. If you found it too easy, you shouldn't have played this on easy mode. Unlike of a few of the other prequels i think it's safe to say this game caters to people of all skills and sizes. You have the easy for the newb, and the more difficult modes for the more advanced gamer. Yes they simplified the combos, but there's more complicated maneuvers buyable that you failed to acknowledge.

I enjoyed this game a lot, saying that i've always been a fanboy for the DMC series.

Prosecuting with style Vyse the Legend's Avatar
    I didn't mind the game myself though I do understand where you are coming from with some of your points, though not enough to warrant a 3, but everyone is entitled to there views.

If you are a fan of the game and DMC series as a whole though, I would recommend Bayonetta to anyone, simply because in my eyes, it's a much better game, certainly combat wise (story is still something to work on though,) but blew DMC4 out of the water.

In the eternal land of seclusion... the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyse the Legend View Post
    I didn't mind the game myself though I do understand where you are coming from with some of your points, though not enough to warrant a 3, but everyone is entitled to there views.

If you are a fan of the game and DMC series as a whole though, I would recommend Bayonetta to anyone, simply because in my eyes, it's a much better game, certainly combat wise (story is still something to work on though,) but blew DMC4 out of the water.
    It's because of the naked finishers isn't it Vyse? not to mention those cutscenes ....

What Cutscenes..........Vyse do i need to get this game?
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks to Chronic Spender........

Prosecuting with style Vyse the Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Seducer View Post
    It's because of the naked finishers isn't it Vyse? not to mention those cutscenes ....
    Well considering how far you've got in the game you won't have seen many of the scenes and finishers, and to be honest it's nothing to get excited over. The action and gameplay is where the fun is, not the scenes, unless you really are desperate, which I'm not thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by willo745 View Post
    What Cutscenes..........Vyse do i need to get this game?
    Depends on what you are after Willo, if it's a good game yes, if it's a good excuse to see naked flesh then no, and shame on you if that was the case!

You are not alone
    No advertising /fink000

sig is to large. /fink000

Playing DMC series games is always the best experience for me and this latest version is also great to play from beginning, maintains your interest and curiosity till the end.
    no advertising please - Dark

I will admit, to fans, this game is probably amazing.

I also wanted to mention that I LOVED bayonetta.

It had some of the problems that DMC4 had, but it was overall a quite amusing game.

This score may seem harsh to some, but thanks for actually reading this review without a bias.

Thanks to seducer for posting it as well.
    I may look happy, but honestly dear;
    The only way I'll truly smile is if you cut me ear to ear.