Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Smile Serious Suggestions for GF (N.B. - Mods/Admins)

(I've placed this here intentionally as I think it might find more attention then.)

I've already voiced my opinion over how quiet I feel GF is.

My opinion remains. It is as though everyone has died. Newcomers post one thread, never to be seen again. Why? Because their threads dont see answers or it takes forever to get replies. Even the shoutbox suffers from time to time.

So I have one large suggestion. Reformat the way that Gamesforum's main discussion forums are structured.

Why I say this is because...there are to many forums and sub-forums. Simpler is better.

Please, Admin, Mods, try and take my advice here. We have too many forums for the number of posts we are getting per day. I could still understand if we are getting 150 members visiting a day and staying on for hours and making 2000 posts. But no, we get between 15 and 30 posts aday.

So, if we make it simpler and easier to navigate, new members might feel more at ease, newly made threads might be noticed sooner and more posts will reach them.

I'm gonna give some of my ideas for how we could simplify the forum.

Instead of having 16 main discussion forums and 15 sub-forums (which amounts to 31 forums in total), we could have discussions put more generalised.

__________________________________________________ ________

My example is this. Instead of having GamesForum Main and then a sub-forum for Gamesforum Rules and Suggestions/Feedback and then a seperate forum for INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE!, we could have one forum called GamesForum Main with three stickied threads for Introductions, GamesForum Rules and Suggestiond/Feedback.

The console forums converge within a new forum called Console Discussions Forum and all handhelds fall under Handheld Gaming Forum (no sub-forums for different handheld types).

Then PC Discussion Forum stays as is, but with no sub-forums (all existing threads in sub-forums just moved to the main PC forum).

Retro and Game Reviews then fall under General Games Discussion Forums as sub-forums.

The Artist's Corner could remain the same (I see no problem there at all!).

Then the General Discussion Forum which comprises of the ex General Chat, Entertainment and Forum Games/Spam but, with a twist. The Forum Games/Spam stay a sub-forum but Entertainment then becomes a sub-forum of General Discussion Forum.

And Entertainment is then no longer divided into entertainment media types (no Movies, Music etc subforums).

__________________________________________________ ________

This would look much neater and quicker to browse and perhaps, more appealing for everyone.

You could even then make Artist's Corner a main forum and Show and Tell, Request a Sig etc. as sub-forums.

If we did this the form will look something like this:

-GamesForum Main (with Introduce Yourself Here, GamesForum Rules and Suggestions/Feedback existing as stickied threads under it.)

-Console Discussion Forum
    -Handheld Gaming Discussion Forum
    -PC Discussion Forum
    -General Games Discussion Forum
    -Retro Gaming (subforum)
    -Game Reviews (subforum)

-Artist's Corner
    -Show and Tell (subforum)
    -Request A Sig (subforum)
    -Artwork Battle Royale! (subforum)
    -GFX Tutorials (subforum)

-General Discussion Forum
    -Forum Games and Spam (subforum)
    -Entertainment (subforum)

(Thats 7 main forums and 8 subforums - halfing the current number)

The reason why I say this is because I love GF and dont wana be in any other forum. GF has a great look and feel to it that I think is unmatched. Its just that, what Ive just mentioned above could be a massive plus .

I know this would be hardwork but please consider it.

Prosecuting with style Vyse the Legend's Avatar
    Well first, thanks for taking the time to make the suggestion, good to see people still care about the state the place is in.

Ok, from my viewpoint, the forum could do with a tiny bit of restructuring, though not the the same extent you suggested, I certainly wouldn't move all the consoles into one big section, that would just look messy and dis-organised.

The only issue I take up with your post, is some of your reasoning for doing this. I can understand about making the forum more compact, and a little more pleasing on the eye, but regarding the lack of activity and posts, that has no relevance what so ever, nor would this suggestion make any positive difference.

The forum itself, really is pretty well presented, has all the sections/subsections, that it really needs (all be it, as I said before, a tiny tidy up couldn't hurt.) The problem are the members, especially newer members. Those that make 1 post, don't not come back because they never get any replies, it's just because they are strange. Happens all the time, we get more members who just join here for no reason, and leave. Nothing we can do about it.

To gain activity, we need the current crop of members here to post, either in current or old threads. Or, even better, to create a good topic themselves and see where that leads. Then everyone else needs to join in on the discussion, because all that tends to happen is people look at the thread, but say nothing. I always try and post in areas where I can, but when people aren't replying, what else can you do.

Clearly people can only post on topics that they enjoy or know about, but there really are enough should people actually bother to look. Example, I made a simple thread on Hard things you encountered in videogames, hardly any replies. Now assuming that everyone here is a gamer, why is the thread so dead....I guess, just because people can't be bothered to post, hence the thread dies. Then the cycle continues. The only threads that tend to get lots of replies are general chat related or forum games.

So to get the forum more lively, people just need to try posting more, and that hopefully will spark something that creates another person to talk, and so on. When one person can't be bothered, the next feels the same, and then those that post a lot, can't even do that, so the forum remains quiet, that's the problem.

admin
    Thats way OTT to compact it all. A few of the subsections could easily go but its not going to improve post or visitor counts. Compacting sections makes it look disorganised and makes finding threads harder than now.

Especially since the search function isn't great. It's hard enough to find things, without having to wade through threads involving consoles people don't have (If you only have a PS3, it's unlikely you're going to care about 360/Wii threads, no?)

As has been said, all of the subforums are clearly visible. Sure, some people still post in the wrong section, but they just don't read/use common sense.

And yes, it won't raise posting/visit numbers. If anything, it'd lower them.
    Is there a future to come out of this useless time? Will I exist in a place like this?
    If I wanted to tell you what kind of person I am, the words I'd use would be "good for nothing."

Banned
    Okay, thanks for the feedback guys. And I guess you're all right.

But sections like Game Reviews could be made into a subforum. And Internet Videos could be removed from Entertainment.

Those are my valid examples!

admin
    ive condensed a few of the sections.

Prosecuting with style Vyse the Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EntwineTheNight View Post
    Especially since the search function isn't great.
    No idea how many people even use the search function, and I doubt there's anything that can be done about it anyway, but that really is something that could do with a better upgrade, because the current one is so bad.

Haha, love how in Handheld games it's now "Nintendo". The GBA section will never truly die, will it?

Seriously though, even if it is a minor change, it's the right idea - the less subforums the better, imo. Not fun having to travel through a maze of sections. Pity it can't be avoided in some cases, otherwise you would have the problems Entwine and CW have said above. But the forum as a whole looks fine at the moment. I suppose it could be polished up a bit, but really, you could tweak and mess about with the place forever, it just isn't going to make enough of a difference for anyone to care.

And I'll agree with Vyse on posting. Gaming is so wide and diverse, there's always bound to be a very open and thought-provoking topic that hasn't been covered here, and it's always worth posting. Otherwise everything could just boil down to those annoying list threads.

Although it does have to be said, that whilst posts is what will create activity here, this should not mean that everyone should start posting here, there and everywhere. A certain quality/standard has to be maintained (if you can define a quality/standard). Yes/No/I agree/Nice/etc. posts won't generate responses. A certain balance has to be struck, between quality and quantity, to keep this forum going strong. /Lame motivational speech
    TRGT - Tosser Racing Gran Turismo

Movie Connoisseur TheDarkKnight's Avatar
    lol Well, I dig the "Lame motivational speech." You're completely right... you need a balance of them all. IMO, I think that the Entertainment section needs a little cleaning up. On a side note, why is it that I always use proper grammar and capitalization in the main section?

EDIT: You may also want to fix the link to "Internet Games Free" in the "Gamers Hangout" in the sidebar, as it is broken.

Banned
    I suppose we can get rid of The Gaming Columns. As the spokesperson of it I give you the right to take it down (not that anyone really noticed it). I'm strongly against Gaming Reviews as a Sub section though. Mainly because we've had so many memories of that place and like the loving Grandfather it is we try to keep it alive and well (well, I do). The only thing I'd do to alterate the Game Reviews Section is to place it lower down the page (switch it around with General Gaming or something)

The only thing I would change is the colour. Not the banner at the top that absolutely fine but the steel, metalish feel doesn't feel that comfortable. And most of it is grey as well which seems kinda boring imo.