Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters game review

This is my first review guys, tell me if you want me to do more! It was written completely by me, screenshots were taken from the game. I do not just use a random score by the way, I score a few aspects of the game (out of ten) then I average them. I really hope you guys like it! By the way, if you want the entire album I have for this game just head here http://s396.photobucket.com/albums/p...tters/?start=0

Enough rambling, let us start the review...

Fed up all this hero's work you find yourself playing on Pokitaru, a small peaceful island where Ratchet and Clank are taking a vacation. While working on your tan you will come across an adoring fan of yours named Luna who will take you across the island so you can become acquainted with the game. You learn from the start that this game won't be a walk on the beach! (pun intended).

The game is a almost entirely a third person shooter where you play as ratchet (the umm...err...animal?), clank(the robot), and big clank (the big robot). I said almost because you occasionally play these little mini games such as skyboard racing, and robot wars. The great thing about these is that you can easily go back and play them whenever you want to. The controls are very smooth and seemed natural to me. The camera sometimes does not always stick where you want it to, you will be cursing the game when you are in a boss battle and the camera is in the completely opposite direction you want it to be in.

This game has almost the best graphics I have seen on the psp, as you play through it you will pretty much go across all kinds of terrain. You will encounter different environments like grass, fire, lava, space, and water. All look brilliant. There are also the little things like the superb detail on the guns and creatures, at some points you will even come across things like mirrors. The animations are crisp and plentiful, with little to complain about. Well, to accompany the great graphical effects comes great sound effects, almost everything in the game has a sound. Little stays quiet . The music track definitely contributes to the tone of the game. It is often a repeating track, but you will barely notice because it is patched together so smoothly. The neat thing about it is that there is even a track that plays when you are playing online matches. It may not seem like something that you really appreciate, but turn off all the sound and you will notice a completely different feel to the game.

The story is great, whatever you are doing WILL be relevant to story. You won't ever feel like what you are doing is pointless. That being said, the game jam packed with action. Along with a lot of innovative things like the "hypershot" which allows you to swing around. And you are also able to swim, jump, climb, and much more! At certain points in the game you will be able to enlist the help of clank and his little robot companions (pictured below) which you can order to do your dirty work. At points you will be able to play as the gargantuan clan. While in this form you will basically be a living (whatever you would call a robot) spaceship. In this game, guns are very clever, they SUCK (well the suck cannon does... get it? SUCK CANNON HAHA). No weapon is the same, they range from the normal pistol equivalent Lacerator to the super cannon machine of death, the RYNO. If you own the game the offline game is definitely worth checking out. The storyline is one of, if not the the best I have played through on the psp.

If you own the game you may want to check out the online multiplayer mode, once you create your account and get online you can choose to join a game, create a game, look at the leaderboards, manage your friends list, manage your ignore list, look at your personal score, or head to the chat room to talk it up! The chat feature in this game is very neat, it allows you to chat with everyone on the server at the same time. Most of the kids on this game have, "virtual gfs". So, I am not really into all the chat stuff:wink:. If you look at the leaderboards you may notice that I OWN spots 2-6 haha, just saying. If you decide that you want to stop chatting and actually do that crazy thing called playing the game, you can either create one or join an existing one. There are 4 maps that you can play on. The first is loosely based on the pokitaru and is called island escape, the next is called moon cow disease and takes place in space, the next is danger valley it is a grassy map with areas great for swimming. The final map is Mega Cannons. This is a desert map, it has pipes which you can ride across to quickly travel across the maps. All the maps are very open and have a lot of room for movement. You can also play in a variety of game modes. From the classic death match to capture the flag or even the map specific Iron Lombax mode's.

All in all this is a great game, despite its childish appearance I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

Overall Score (out of ten): 8.0

This is good for a first review.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Business View Post
    This is good for a first review.
    Thanks for the compliment, I know it needs some work though.

Yr review redelite was very good, nice that you took yr time to write it yrself and added screenshots are a welcome change. Good work, you certainly have my thumbs up. Good luck on yr next review. what you thinking of doing??

Quote Originally Posted by xXHotFuzzXx View Post
    Yr review redelite was very good, nice that you took yr time to write it yrself and added screenshots are a welcome change. Good work, you certainly have my thumbs up. Good luck on yr next review. what you thinking of doing??
    Thanks
    I am thinking of doing Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus (MPO+) developed by Konami.

Finished this game today. Very enjoyable game, and I think I will add "Secret Agent Clank" to my list.

Size Matters is a great mixture of combat, puzzles and optional mini-missions, with great game play and graphics. The difficultly also ramps up nicely. Despite some parts being damn hard, I always felt like I was progressing with each run.

Quote Originally Posted by ukpsper View Post
    Finished this game today. Very enjoyable game, and I think I will add "Secret Agent Clank" to my list.

Size Matters is a great mixture of combat, puzzles and optional mini-missions, with great game play and graphics. The difficultly also ramps up nicely. Despite some parts being damn hard, I always felt like I was progressing with each run.
    Glad you liked it. If you ever want to play online with me just send me a pm.