Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Mafia 2 - Xbox 360

Written by Jedclark

Mafia 2 is a game based on the mafia, obviously. You play as Vito Scaletta, a boy brought to America in search of a better life, but only finding poverty. It borrows a lot of elements from Scarface (Joe calls someone a "****ing cockroach"), The Godfather, The Goodfellas (the bit where they are in jail and they spend time in a decent cell) and The Shawshank Redemption (he almost gets raped), and those are just what I noticed, so there could be a lot more. This does spoil it a bit, as you realise it isn't that original, but it is still a very good game.

The gameplay is like that of any classic sandbox game. You can drive cars and use weapons. You drive through the "mean streets" of Empire Bay, the games location. It isn't a very inspiring place, but it'll do. The police are simply awful, but chase you for anything. It is awfully realistic in that sense. (But then you can rob a shop, and not have 1 star on you.) You nudge a car, they're after you. You go too fast, they are after you. The game is let down on its shooting, which is just awful. A lot of the guns crosshairs are just too big. Also, you'll only ever need the pistol as it mostly one shot kills everyone once you have the magnum, so the other guns are made to feel useless and you just won't need/use them. You can rob shops by holding a gun to the person at the till. You can also crush cars for money.

The game is a great take on the mafia, one notable thing it does this is the characters. There are great characters, from Vito himself to Joe, and then Leo Galante. They are accompanied by very funny dialogue. Some parts of the speech will have you in stitches. There is also a good feel to some sentences, such as the last line of the game.

The story of the game is excellent, and it is one of the best games I've played story wise. You go through Vito Scaletta's life as he quickly gets into more and more **** (quite literally at one point). I really enjoyed the story, it kept you wanting to play more and more, until the excellent ending. The game has been criticised, I can't see why. It was excellent in almost every way.

The graphics are very good. The cars are well animated, and actually feel like they come from the time the 40s and 50s. Also, a great thing graphically is the change in clothes as the time goes on. They change from beach shirts to more... normal clothing. Vito slept in the same vest and pants for about 7 years, though. A bad point is the crappy framerate at certain sections.

The controls are good. They are memorable and simple. The game has a few bugs, and shoddy civilians. (I was fighting a guy, and his twin brother walked past.) It's lasting appeal, however, isn't very large. It has a decent 10-15 hour storyline, and quite decent sized DLC but after that, nothing is luring you back. There are Wanted Posters and Playboy Magazines to collect, but that is just tedious and not really fun.

The soundtrack is amazing. Filled with classic songs from the 40s and 50s, it makes any car trip on the journey awesome. You'll find yourself sitting around doing nothing, just listening to the radio. It is that good. It also brings a great atmosphere to the game.

The voice acting is laughable. Well, the voices themselves are good. They are classic... Mafia-style voices. Especially Joe's. And the old bosses have great voices, too but voices are majorly out of sync with the lips that it just ruins it.

In my opinion, Mafia 2 is an excellent game with even more excellent characters and dialogue, let down only by its annoying shooting. It is a game you'll really enjoy if you're a fan of GTA.

+Very good story
    +Dialogue
    +Characters

-Shooting
    -A few bugs

9/10

Nice review! I played the demo and loved it, it felt like an old school GTA. When you said it wasn't original, I think they may have just been referencing the classics as a homage, but I might be wrong. But still, great review!

Some of the gameplay you mentioned early in the review would shy me away from buying the game. Might try the demo though.

I advise you do.

Also, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zikato
    Hippin' and a hoppin' and your bippin' and your boppin'

Fear is the Mind Killer Star Hustler's Avatar
    Hmmmm very good review, sounds like a fun game but this game just falls into "that games I will never buy" list I have unfortunately.

Can you call me Nyteblade YesConsiderably's Avatar
    Nice review Jed.

I really enjoyed Mafia II. It's such a cinematic game, which in parts doesn't exactly make for exciting gameplay (think Chapter 7, in which all you do is help a guy dispose of a body) but when it works it works incredibly well. The Prison chapter is awesome.

I'm not sure that i entirely agree with your criticism of the gunplay though. I think that the big story shoot-outs, like the ones in the chinese restaurant, warehouse and greaser hideout were amazing. Generally when you're in cover it's great; when you're not it's not quite as polished.

The dialogue is just about as well written as i've ever experienced in a video game, and the homages to famous gangster films are a nice touch. It never seems to totally rip something off as tip its hat towards it. I also think that the presentation is phenomenal; the menu screen is very slick and the orchestral score adds to the movie feel.

My one big problem with the game is its length. I played on the hardest difficulty, and finished the game within 11 hours. Compared to the 25 hours of GTA, it doesn't quite cut it. The game is also very easy, up until the final 2 chapters in which the difficulty spike is immense. The final shootout will probably have you pulling your hair out in Hard - though it's worth it for the ending.

Mafia 2...Mafia 2..Mafiandres...mandtheft auto...Grand theft auto...grand theftaints row...saints row.
    Is there a difference.

Mafia 2 is a game that has been anticipated for many people who had the original Mafia, and he loved the story and mechanics. Developer (2KGames), adopted in this case, so a sequel that will leave you wanting more time on it, One Earth, there is no way out, a gunfight or a grenade thrown Molotov and spices. The graphics are top notch, sounds and music are well done and collectors are very rewarding to find. DLC is designed for all platforms, so this game will be the legs a bit to those who can not get enough. The only downside of this game is that there is no free roaming, but I hope it can be corrected in future DLC. So if you're a fan of open world games, shooters, or just gangsters tend to pick up this game, you will not be disappointed.

Prosecuting with style Vyse the Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blacqout View Post
    Nice review Jed.

I really enjoyed Mafia II. It's such a cinematic game, which in parts doesn't exactly make for exciting gameplay (think Chapter 7, in which all you do is help a guy dispose of a body) but when it works it works incredibly well. The Prison chapter is awesome.

I'm not sure that i entirely agree with your criticism of the gunplay though. I think that the big story shoot-outs, like the ones in the chinese restaurant, warehouse and greaser hideout were amazing. Generally when you're in cover it's great; when you're not it's not quite as polished.

The dialogue is just about as well written as i've ever experienced in a video game, and the homages to famous gangster films are a nice touch. It never seems to totally rip something off as tip its hat towards it. I also think that the presentation is phenomenal; the menu screen is very slick and the orchestral score adds to the movie feel.

My one big problem with the game is its length. I played on the hardest difficulty, and finished the game within 11 hours. Compared to the 25 hours of GTA, it doesn't quite cut it. The game is also very easy, up until the final 2 chapters in which the difficulty spike is immense. The final shootout will probably have you pulling your hair out in Hard - though it's worth it for the ending.
    This sums up my thoughts on the game exactly. The only issue I could find with the game was the length, especially when there are very little sidequests of any note to keep yourself entertained with. The biggest problem this game has though isn't in the actual game, it's the competition. Everyone is just going to compare it to GTA, which already puts the game, and others like it, at a dis-advantage. But if you look past what GTA has, and this may not, Mafia 2 is a wonderful game, that can be enjoyed just as much, if not more sometimes.

Can you call me Nyteblade YesConsiderably's Avatar
    Wow. Nice to see you back Vyse.