Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Streets of Rage 2 - Mega Drive

Well all the recent retroness has had me reliving my favorite games on the old Consoles.
    Then I realised there was no review for Streets Of Rage 2!
    Well being my favorite game of all time this had to be rectified....

So Streets Of Rage 2:

Streets of rage 2 follows on directly from the Original Streets Of Rage, It is a side scrolling beat em up that was exclusive to the Sega Megadrive (Or Genesis).
    The basic story line is very simple, The City (of a unknown name) Has been over run by a crime syndicate managed by the evil Mr X.
    Also after the original game Mr X kidnapped Adam Hunter (one of the playable characters on SOR1)
    4 heroes aim to rid the city of the crime syndicate and Mr X once and for all as well as Rescueing there friend Adam.

The 4 heroes go by the names of Axel, Skate (Sammy in the non UK versions Sammy "Skate" Hunter), Max, and Blaze. Axel and Blaze are from the original game and are ex cops who went against the corupt police force to rid the city of Mr X.
    Max is Axel's friend and Skate is the younger brother of Adam.

This is not like other Side scrollers when all the characters have pretty much the same moves and abilities. Each Character brings there own little moves and abilities to the game (represented by the stars bellow).
    You really have to get a feel for each character and there strengths/weaknesses.
    Skate for instance is very fast and can quickly get around enemies but is also very weak and does little damage. Max on the other hand is Very slow but if he hits someone they know about it!

Sega made the most out of the control system for this game, The amount of moves possible with just the direction pad and 3 buttons is quite amazing!
    There is literally a move for every situation! Long distance attacks, short distance, Flying, Reverse attacks everything!
    Both Offensive and Defensive.
    It takes some working out to get all the moves and remember them all. But they are also not complicated, No move requires any more than 3 button presses!
    Still its fun finding out what the different button combos do and the feeling of excitment that you get when you discover a new move (Nobody actually reads the manual do they!?
    Although you can still guarantee sore fingers by the end of the game in true button bashing style!

This game also features a awesome 2 player mode. Basically you can either play through the story in co-op mode or you can face each other in a head to head battle.
    The 2 player co-op is fun and you do have to work together as theres no "friendly fire" on this, If you smack your mate or throw something into him it will hurt!
    Also the enemies virtually double when playing co-op, And if one person dies well the other person just has to keep fighting on through the double amounts!
    I loved playing co-op with my cousin, She always played as Blaze and I usualy played as skate, But its quite fun double teaming some guy on his own Kicking him to each other like a football!

The level design is simplistic yet intuitive, There are enviromental hazards like holes and exploding canisters, You have to be mind full of these things and use them to devastate your enemy!
    There's something quite satisfying about sending your oponents into these hazards or throwing them into a bin to reveal a health Turkey!
    The graphics are typical 16bit but the depth of the levels and the little touches (Like watching the lights shake when you bodyslam someone!) make the levels what they are simple but pretty.
    The twinkling street lights in the distance or the tide flowing in on the beech makes for a tranquil setting for some Violent pumped up button bashing fun!
    Weapons can also be found around the levels to really sock it to the enemies! Knifes, Swords, Steel bars and Shurikens can all be found!
    The sound of cracking someone on the head followed by the blood curdling scream really does make you feel like you've done something to prevent crime!

The enemies vary as well, theres not just one enemy all the time. You face everything from the bog standard "thug" to Kick boxers, Overweight flame breathing baseball coaches and not forgeting a rather strange alien head....
    The AI is not bad for the time of the game either, Enemies will defend themselves, They will gang up on you and they will "disappear" off screen to try to lure you into a blind fight.
    Also there is no "standard" attack that you can use. You have to work out the best moves to use on certain enemies. This can be rather frustrating the first time you meet a particular enemy and they hammer you!

The Music score is fantastic, and very immersive. It will truely get you in the mood! It was Conducted by Yuzo Koshiro and It won several awards at the time and was released on several albums.
    The music is "up-beat" and what I would call real fighting music! You find yourself bobbing along to the music while shouting "Yeahh have it!" and similar things at the enemies as you pummel them with all the moves at your disposal. Hell sometimes it's fun to hit them to the beat!
    And the end music, well its a really moving piece that kind of calms you down after all the bobbing and bashing!

My overall conclusion: There is a reason this game is classed as a all time great and my personal Favorite, Its fun, its addicive and most of all its Simplistic.
    Anyone can pick this up and play it and its a great 2 player game. This was made when games had soul and a feeling. This game has it all.

Pros:
    Pick up and play, variable difficulty & fun.
    Intuitive control system
    Awesome soundtrack
    Replay Value - you have to try to beat it on hardest

Cons:
    Sore fingers
    No save ability (typical of that era of game)

Score 10/10

Written by Titchgamer
    Last edited by Rawgasm; 13-03-2011 at 11:18 PM.

Thanks Raw.

admin
    It was a good game and I certainly put a few hours in as a child. Theres a few spelling and grammar errors in the review that could do with correcting

Rawww

Ok goddd i'll change your mistake. I've got most of them at least

Hehe cheers pal

An excellent scrolling beat em up. I played it through again recently with a mate - this and Golden Axe! Two classics. The only other one I'd put in the same league is Turtles In Time.

And titch, I will say, that I can't think of any SNES game off the top of my head, that matches Streets of Rage 2 as a scrolling beat em up. The Megadrive wins in THIS department! (although Turtles in Time is almost as good)!

10/10 though?? Blimey...I would have given in a strong 9/10, on the grounds of there are better games before and since, but still a phenomenol game.
    Last edited by Nintengod; 14-03-2011 at 10:08 AM.

Holy **** someone get me a chair I need to sit down!
    LOL thanks NIN, And yes I agree the megadrive was certainly the king of side scrolling fighters. Allthough Final fight was good on SNES it didnt have the same advanced moves/combo system.

Golden Axe was very good as well, But again not the same level of depth to the moves.

As for beter games before/since?? Nahh... Even Fighting Force or die hard dont come close

Allthough I must say Fighting force was fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Nintengod View Post
    An excellent scrolling beat em up. I played it through again recently with a mate - this and Golden Axe! Two classics. The only other one I'd put in the same league is Turtles In Time.

And titch, I will say, that I can't think of any SNES game off the top of my head, that matches Streets of Rage 2 as a scrolling beat em up. The Megadrive wins in THIS department! (although Turtles in Time is almost as good)!

10/10 though?? Blimey...I would have given in a strong 9/10, on the grounds of there are better games before and since, but still a phenomenol game.

I guess as a scrolling beat em up, not much has been able to touch it - its not a genre I think that really transferred that well into 3D. The 2nd one is really the standout game though....Streets of Rage 1 was decent enough, but I found the 3rd game to be a bit naff.

2 really is the daddy of the trilogy.
    Ile be reviewing the other 2 in the near future.
    But yes you are right they are far beter in 2D