Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Bulletstorm - Xbox 360, PS3, PC

Bulletstorm for many was seen as a joke with it's ads making jokes about Halo and Call of Duty, but what those who have played it now know, it is more than just your average shooter. Bringing back creativity, it makes you "kill with skill", a slogan that this game will always be known by.

You play as Grayson Hunt a turncoat of the federation who has made it his job to exact his revenge on a General Sarrano by crashing his ship straight through Sarrano's in a last ditch attempt to take down his former boss. You find yourself stranded on what I guess was intended to be a holiday planet called Stygia. Being the great pirate you are you decide to find a way off the run-down planet, ideally by finding another ship. However on the way you have to fight feral tribes people, mutants and some real nasty mutants called 'burnouts'.

I think he likes you!

Characters

The characters in this game are portrayed fantastically, take General Sarrano for instance, the first time you actually see this guy you see him through a hologram and immediately will feel a strong disliking to the guy. After the pro-logue you realise Grayson Hunt isn't exactly what you expected, although he does get drunk very often he does show a sense of morality. Then we have Ishi Sato, the only thing I didn't like about Ishi was how it seems the AI in him is taking over, but even then you feel sorry for him as it must be an awful experience for anyone to go through, especially since it seems, for the most part of the game, that the AI is taking over Ishi, but as the game progresses it shows that Ishi may actually beat this AI and just become a super bad-ass with robot parts. Trishka, on the other hand is a mean, bad-mouthing girl from hell (not really, but it adds to the image), she joins Grayson as he attempts to find Sarrano on the planet Stygia and their relationship gets stronger as she slowly stops insulting him and starts giving more compliments to him.

Gameplay

The game actually hinges on how well, diverse and hilarious all your kills are as the points you earn from those kills go toward your ammo and weapons when you reach a drop pod, or you could just go around kicking seven bells out of everyone you meet until you get enough points for your charge shots and new weapons. The best part of the credit system is that it makes you want to pull off more skillshots and attempt newer ones, in most cases you can track what skillshots you have in a database (it's not hard to find, you can see it at all the drop pods). The only major flaw with the game is the amount of damage Grayson can take which means you only die if you get stuck on a piece of scenery (which can happen), however if you weren't able to take so much damage it would make it rediculously difficult to pull off any skillshot at all since for most skillshots you want to get up close and kill as many enemies at once.Speaking of killing enemies one of the best ways to take them out is when they are in mid air, or when they're stuck in slow-motion because you just used one of the most powefully fun tools in the game, the leash.

GET OVER HERE!

Multiplayer

Bulletstorm doesn't have a multiplayer as such but makes up for it with a co-op mode, "Anarchy". Similar to Fire Fight mode in Halo as it goes by waves of different enemies, but this isn't Halo, this is Bulletstorm! Instead of being able to pass into the next wave by killing all or a majority of the enemies, you are required to pull off skillshots and team skillshots and earn over a specific amount of points however I would recommend that when you play this mode you play with friends who can communicate with you, otherwise you'll find more often than not that you'll not make it past a round because the team isn't working for skillshots or is simply just running around like a group of headless chickens.

Echoes

Echoes are an excellent feature that has been put into the game, these are like time trials in which you can compete against your friends to complete a small segment of different portions of the game, they are normally the heavy firefights so that you can rack up tons of points for pulling off as many skillshots as you physically can. And you need not worry about ammo or purchasing weapons and charge shots, every drop pod you leash up to will give you a re-supply to your ammo, charge's and thumper (which I'll type more about later). The echoes menu displays your high score, and your friends high scores, for those who are competitive this will now give you bragging rights over your friends. They are also a great way to practice racking up skillshots and will count toward your total percentage of singleplayer skillshot.

Conclusion

Bulletstorm is a shooter with a great story and very fast gameplay, the biggest downside to the story is how quickly you can get through it and how little challenge it poses on its harder difficulties, it's still more challenging but compared to other shooters the harder difficulties feel much easier. The characters are great and you get attatched to each character in different ways. Anarchy mode is an excellent co-op game to play, and working to beat your scores/times and friends scores/times in the echoes mode is a real challenge. The graphics however aren't the best in the cutscenes but the scenery is absolutely beautiful if you can find the time to stop killing and look around.

Pros:
    - Excellent Story
    - Fun Weapons
    - Fantastic Scenery/Areas to fight in
    - Echoes and Anarchy

Cons:
    - Very Short
    - Not very challenging

8/10

Written by: Colossal Marlin

Nemo
    Totally agree with the review liking it! Got the game myself

Good review, it isn't that short though.

Sig created by Rinzler

Banned
    It isn't as short as I may have made it out to be but compared to other FPS games it is easier which is what makes me think it's a shorter game (it took me about 5 hours to run through), however I've still yet to go back and kill all the news-bots and electro-flies.

Looks really fun and the graphics look great... maybe I'll try it soon

good review Marlin, going to give it a try these next few weeks. thanks!
    Runner-up for "Best newcomer of 2011" at the GF Annual Member Awards

i've heard so many bad and good comments about this game suppose all i can do is go buy it and play it for myself

Quote Originally Posted by UniversalGeeks View Post
    i've heard so many bad and good comments about this game suppose all i can do is go buy it and play it for myself
    Just rent it, It's really not worth the buy. I rented it and gave it back that day lol
    Currently obsessed with: Gears of War 3 ♥
    SHE GOT A BIG BOOTAY SO I CALL HER by her real name and I do not let her physical appearance define her as a human being.

5 hours gameplay? might get when price goes down :/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyder1 View Post
    5 hours gameplay? might get when price goes down :/
    It's not 5 hours on the harder difficulties, I was literally just running through it as fast as I could on easy when I was writing the review, just so I could get a good sense of what it was like when I was playing the game.