Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Free Arcade Videogames View Post
    If you're looking for sega stuff check out mystic defender on sega genesis. I use to kick butt on that one. It had pretty good graphics for its time.
    Not sure what I am going to get yet other than well... sonic from when it was good and I will keep that game in mind. My game store is going to love me when I get some of my extra student loan money coming in I am going to drop about $200-300.00 just in games. I do that every so often. They know me there too when I walk in the door they tell me if they have any new megaman that came in since the last time I was in there or say hey that game you were looking for is right here been holding it for you.

Edit: Side note what one is better overall in your opinion? Genesis or Dreamcast? I don't know much about sega. Never owned one not even as a kid. Any input would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeck View Post
    I'll admit, I'm not a huge fan of retro games. They'll never be as good as I remember them as a kid.
    I feel bad for you. I am just as happy now as I was back then when I wipe the floor with someone on street fighter 2 that has been bragging about how good they are at fighters. Also I get the same amount of mwahahaha when I get a fatality on mortal combat. I am just as happy as I was back then when I beat legend of Dragoon for the 20th time. I miss the old Prince of Persia... the new ones are... not as much fun...
    Last edited by JadedSapphire; 22-06-2012 at 03:10 AM.

Because it helps me feel comfortable while playing.

Last edited by catty3979; 04-08-2012 at 06:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JadedSapphire View Post

Edit: Side note what one is better overall in your opinion? Genesis or Dreamcast? I don't know much about sega. Never owned one not even as a kid. Any input would be great.

I never played Dreamcast. I use to own a Genesis back when they were new, had a friend with the original Nintendo so I played that, the same friend had Atari before that so i played that, and at the moment I own a Power Joy which has a bunch of clones of old Atari and Nintendo games on it, (like about 90 or so). I played Doom for a while, I really like that one.

Yeah, I like to have the consoles though and since I can get my hands on them with the games that I want then I do that. I know in the long run its going to be alot more money but meh its what I like mainly because my kids have a tendency to break things.... that need to be repaired at times. Consoles can take more punishment- well the ones from the good ol' days that is.

Quote Originally Posted by JadedSapphire View Post
    Consoles can take more punishment- well the ones from the good ol' days that is.
    Yeah I gotta admit, "structurally speaking" the Power Joy is pretty breakable particularly when kids are involved. However if it's a lot of old style arcade video games for as little money as possible that you're looking for then it's a pretty good way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Free Arcade Videogames View Post
    Yeah I gotta admit, "structurally speaking" the Power Joy is pretty breakable particularly when kids are involved.
    Yeah I have a 2 year old that I have already started on gaming and he broke my ps3 controller so now I only let him play on the nes and snes. those are built to survive the abuse. Besides every kid should grow up knowing the original Mario games. You see I, unlike most moms, encourage my children to sit on their bottoms and play some games as a family instead of spending the whole day outside skate boarding or playing basketball or riding bikes. Well not all day but about an hour or so after dinner then they are free to rampage the neighborhood again.
    http://www.gamesforum.com/signaturepics/sigpic93344_6.gif

I probably can't say anything that hasn't been said before in this thread, but I like retro games for a number of reasons:

It almost feels like developers around 2006 or so held a big meeting to decide if games were going to be fun this generation, and the poll yielded a resounding 'no'. All hypothetical cracks aside, retro games are just more fun, maybe it's their focus on actual gameplay rather than graphics, story, realism, or other superfluous things, or perhaps there were more inspired programmers back then that pushed quality instead of hype or gimmicks. I'm very quick to condemn publishers nowadays for stifling creativity from the programmers to increase profit and forcing them to make samey, generic games that are more likely to sell, but that can't be the only issue, I mean, what about retro games? How did they escape this problem? did it not exist? who knows, but it's obvious there was a shift in attitude somewhere.
    We do, after all, play games to have fun.
    Nostalgia helps too, even a bad game can feel fun if you played it as a kid, or can associate it with a good memory, but when the game is good, then it will further accentuate your perception of how good it is.
    I really don't have that much of a problem with new games, but when i hear some teenager say that he/she refuses to play retro games just because their old, I feel bad for them, because gaming is such a rich tapestry, and these kids are missing out on the best games ever created.

tl;dr: daggerfall>skyrim

Play home, sweet home, from the earthbund ost for the full effect.
    In cyberspace, everyone can hear you bitch.

For me, it's a number of issues. Sometimes, it's nostalgia, sometimes, it's affordability and a quick increase in my game collection, and sometimes, its the appeal of the older game's graphics and story-line.
    I currently own a PlayStation one, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox, Wii, Gamecube, Nintendo DS (Original), Nintendo 3DS, Game boy advance, (Original), PSP PlayStation Vita, Sega Dreamcast, Sega Genius, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Entertainment System, and V.Smile. I use to be a fan of Warriors, by Erin Hunter, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

I don't think that it's fair to make the proclamation that video-games from the previous generations brought superiority in terms of controls, story, or necessarily experience. In general, that's quite the contrary, today's era, with further focus on cinematic aspects, usually brings about superior storytelling, and with the enhancements with graphics, the imagination of the artist formulating their masterpiece can be illustrated to a higher degree. This is only in general, however, there are games such as the original Castlevania series, although I think Lords of Shadow outdid them, Spyro, Crash, Legend of Zelda, Mario, and things of that nature.

As far as retro-games offering more of a challenge, I think that it's debatable, the reason that most games of the previous generations were as difficult as they were was because of the lack of longevity in terms of story and game-play. They wanted you to spend a lot of time trying to get passed certain aspects, which is fine. Why do we love these games? It could be explained in a vast compilation of ways, whether it be for nostalgia, or because they legitimately are just that good that they deserve our time. For example, I think that we're in the golden years of video-gaming, but if I were offered, I'd sit down and play Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, the original Twisted Metal, the original Spider-Man, Contra, and even a couple of beat em' ups, any day. I wouldn't play Castlevania any day though, I have Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Chronicles, and they're still hard as **** to me, but in a good way.
    Last edited by McConnaughay; 28-07-2012 at 01:28 AM.

OOF-Writing.com
    "Insert a super-cool and witty comment that will make them want to click your link here." - Sir Nikolai McCon's III.

They are a bit like comfort food and give a feel good factor. These were the games that I played in my younger days, they were fun then and are now. They were less complicated and at times quite mindless but as I say fun! But that is not to say that I don't like the modern games, these are the graphics we were dreaming of all those years ago!