Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

top ten playstation 1 games?

Right, so I'm on a retro games fix at the moment - as some of you know already- and I am just curious as to what the general consensus on good retro games would be. I personally have a hard time making any top-ten lists because I love most of the games that I play, to some degree.
    Anyway, I grew up on Crash Bandicoot and Spyro, those sorts of games. And I do greatly enjoy those games, but the PS1 also played host to a wealth of other brilliant games too, and I'm just curious as to what y'all think.
    Okay, so here goes;
    1) Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - okay, I'm not too far into this game yet but I absolutely love this game. The voice acting is some of the best in any game to date, and the plot is so detailed and in-depth, which is always something I love because then I can really immerse myself in the experience. And, though the gameplay is repetetive I really enjoy it. The graphics are also great too!
    2) Spyro 2. Okay, as previously mentioned, I love these games. I always loved dragons though, so Spyro came before Crash for me, and 2 is my favourite in any series. I love the plot and Ripto, and the game is something I can always come back to.
    3) Metal Gear Solid. I've played through this game a few times now and I adore this game, for obvious reasons - the plot, the bad guys, Snake...
    4) Final Fantasy IX. It was hard for me to choose one FF game in this list because I love VII, VIII, and IX, but in the end I went for IX because I love the plot, the gameplay, the characters, everything about it is beautiful. Oh, and dat soundtrack.
    5) Silent Hill. Okay, little admission here; I love 2 more than 1 & 3, but one still has a special place in my heart. And the scene with Lisa Garland still breaks my heart every time, this game is so atmospheric and terrifying.
    6) Resident Evil. Okay, so Jill Sandwich aside, I really do like this game. Even for the bad voice acting, this game is still really scary, and I love zombies, so that's more incentive.
    7) Final Fantasy VII - okay I lied, I'm including this game. I know the graphics are terrible and the translation is sub-standard sometimes, but this was the first RPG I played. It has sentimental value for me, which may be why I like it so much because its not the best game I will admit - but VII is still a game I return to again and again.
    8) Abe's Exodus. I like Abe's Oddysee, but Abe's Exodus takes everything that was good about the first game and amplifies it, and the worlds are beautiful and Abe is a great, endearing character.
    9) Tomb Raider. Lara Croft is awesome, this game is awesome, even if her figure is less than realistic, I really like this game, its just fun to play.
    10) Crash Bandicoot 3. Okay, I had to have Crash in there somewhere, and 3 is by far my favourite game of the original 3, for so many reasons. I just love this game.

I can think of a few games I would "shortlist" for the top ten, but didn't make it in the end; Vagrant Story, Croc; FFVIII; Blood Omen and Resi 2.

And that list was in no particular order. In addition to that, I'm posting this from my phone so forgive any typos...

Oh man this is a topic I can get behind. No particular order.

1. Unholy War. Amazing multiplayer free-roam fighting game with a crapton of crazy characters. Plus a very strong tactical mode where you go up against an enemy team to control specific map points. I mained Suicycle, a hoverbike whose ultimate attack launched directly into the sky and then plummeted down. Only the strongest enemies could survive it. Granted it killed me (hence the name Suicycle) but still. There was also this little semi-dinosaur semi-lizard whose ultimate attack laid eggs, which later hatched into smaller babies and went on a chomping session.

2. Final Fantasy VIII. My favourite Final Fantasy of the PSX era. People who claim VII is better need to look past the "oh my god they finally went 3D" aspects. VIII has an infinitely better storyline, and more likable, realistic characters. The music is also far more memorable, and the junction system works a lot better than materia for character modification. It gives far more control over statistics.

3. Psychic Force. Another fighting game, but with humans who control psychic abilities. One of the best soundtracks available, and the story mode is legitimately beautiful. Sure, as a fighter it's not deep, but what there is is beautiful. Also honourable mention to the sequel, Psychic Force 2012. I was a king with Sonia, and her theme song is great, as is the opening movie.

4. Guardians Crusade. Never heard of it? I don't blame you. It was developed by a company called Tamsoft, who are widely unknown outside of Japan. They also made the Battle Arena Toshinden series. Anyway, Guardians Crusade is a turn-based RPG with something of a Digimon twist to it. Your character befriends a pink blob-like monster and embarks on an epic quest to do epic things. Your pink blob can transform into various creatures to help you fight, and you can also send it away to hunt for items. Although it didn't have an amazing reception, it will always be one of my top RPGs.

5. Granstream Saga. The first anime game I played, this is an RPG based on a manga called Kros. One of the first, if not THE first full polygon RPGs. The plot was great, the gameplay was solid, the music fit every step of the way. It just suffered from a somewhat poor translation, and as such poor voice acting. But much like Guardians Crusade, it will always find its way into my top list.

6. Master of Monsters: Disciples of Gaia. Turn-based isometric strategy game, and a remake of the original game released on PCs way back in 1991. Soundtrack by Hayato Masuo, and widely recognized as one of the best VG OSTs of all time. It's basically a fantasy version of the developer's more successful game, Daisenryaku, or "Great Strategy." The PS1 version was upgraded graphically, musically, and basically everything else. A plethora of items and upgrades for your units and a thrilling story, I can't think of anything I enjoyed more than this game in the mid 90s. I cannot praise it highly enough.

7. Diablo. Do I need to say more? Sure, it lacked the online multiplayer of its PC counterpart, but that was balanced out by the addition of in-house 2-player co-op.

8. Blaze and Blade: Eternal Quest. Up to four-player hack & slash RPG developed by T&ESoft, another Japanese company. Storyline? Nonexistent. Gameplay? Simple. Fun? You bet your ass it is. Even alone you can bring four heroes and switch between them, and each class has its own abilities. All are needed to 100% it, which to this day I've never managed.

9. Koudelka. Precursor to the Shadow Hearts series. Many hate the game, but I've found few who do gave it more than a few minutes play. It's not an RPG in the traditional fantasy sense. Think of it as a mixture of Silent Hill and turn-based tactical strategy games like Final Fantasy Tactics. Personally I love the characters, even though Koudelka herself is a bitch. If there's one PS1 game you simply have to try, it's this.

10. Parasite Eve 2. As a European citizen, I never saw the release of the original. However, that hasn't changed my view that this is one of the best action-RPGs ever made. Strong female lead, who isn't designed solely for breasts? Yup. Monsters that can **** up your day? Yup. Plenty of weapons and powers to **** up aforementioned monsters? You know it. Powerful story too, and the ability to get a gunblade is a massive plus.

I could name plenty more, but if I do I'll be here all night.

General Forum Rules
    Ignorance is not an excuse.

Parasite Eve
    Dino Crisis
    Resident Evil 2
    Metal Gear Solid
    Silent Hill
    Crash Bandicoot
    Croc
    Tomba (anyone remember this?)
    Tekken 2
    MediEvil

No order to these, these were just a few of the games I enjoyed playing over and over.

@Eclair - Yeah, I like VII but VIII does have better aspects, I couldn't pick just one though - I would have put all three in my top-ten but I thought that would be utterly over-the-top. Bit of a Final Fantasy fanboy here though. The other games (bar Parasite Eve 2) I've heard of but never played, which I shall probably rectify some day! But yes, Parasite Eve 2 is a really good game.
    @Viixen - I liked the demo of Dino Crisis, but I never played it. Same goes for Tomba, which I quite liked.
    I'm currently playing through MediEvil too, right now in fact - I got the remake/re-do for PSP and it's pretty good so far, I quite like it.

Quote Originally Posted by stealfirefromprometheus View Post
    @Viixen - I liked the demo of Dino Crisis, but I never played it. Same goes for Tomba, which I quite liked.
    I'm currently playing through MediEvil too, right now in fact - I got the remake/re-do for PSP and it's pretty good so far, I quite like it.
    Dino Crisis was pretty amazing, nice to play a game with a different twist (dinos instead of zombies etc)
    Tomba was so so much fun loved it

MediEvil was / is sgtill amazing. Some classic games right there :P

GF Member
    you need parasite eve on there and tomb radier

designed by wildeggy

In no real order-
    Tomb Raider
    Resident Evil
    Silent Hill
    Panzer Front
    Twisted Metal 2
    2 Xtreme
    Doom
    Final Doom
    G-Darius
    Vigilante 8

No particular order...

Tombi/Tomba
    Alone In The Dark: The New Nightmare
    Aliens
    Klonoa
    Hogs of War
    Wipeout
    Destruction Derby
    Tomb Raider
    Spyro
    Croc

Quote Originally Posted by Viixen View Post
    MediEvil was / is sgtill amazing. Some classic games right there :P
    Oh my god. Sudden nostalgia trip.

No order to these, these were just a few of the games I enjoyed playing over and over.

Resi
    Resi 2
    Resi 3
    Silent Hill (I could not sleep for days after playing this when I was a kid)
    Metal Gear Solid
    Medievil
    Spyro 3
    Tekken 2
    Doom
    Bloody Roar 2