Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Kiddong The Moxking Midnight Panda's Avatar

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: Dawnguard DLC

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Dawnguard Review. ~June 26th 360. August 2 PC~

Killed the end-game boss? Complete the Dark Brotherhood, Thieves Guild, Bard's College. Become a master mage at the College of Winterhold? Why not join, or destroy, the Dawnguard. Van Helsing, or Dracula, those were the first things that came to mind when I saw the glorious trailer for Dawnguard. Vampires, and crossbows. Seemed fitting into the world of Skyrim, but somehow they were missed in the original. Yes, vampires were in the game before hand, but they just seemed to be lacking, something. Maybe it was the bloodthirsty ferocity that pre Twilight vampires were depicted as having.

Story

After spending sometime roaming around Skyrim, I was approached by a guard, warning me of a group of vampires that have been attacking adventures, and to seek out the Dawnguard. A group known for hunting down and slaying the vile beasts, they also seem to be the only group of people in all of Skyrim to know how to craft crossbows. The Dawnguard want to prevent Harkon from getting away with his plan to end the sun's tyranny that it causes for his people. The Dawnguard want to prevent such a disaster from happening, as well it would be horrid. I can't really say too much about the story, however I will say that the Vampire side of the story was more intriguing to me. However if you fancy yourself a Dwarven crossbow, join the Dawnguard. Vampires can only obtain the crossbows dropped by fallen Dawnguard.
    Additions to the Game

Still unsure if you want to pay the money to get the game? well here's a list of features that are added into Skyrim;
    - 12 main quests
    -9 side quests
    -80 new characters
    -23 new locations
    -Legendary Dragons, Frost Giants
    -New weapons
    -new armor sets, including more unique items
    -A new Follower

Weapons and Armor

Horseback combat, one of the greatest things Skyrim could add, except it wasn't. It was hard to control the camera while trying to swing your weapons at hit the target. With no auto targeting system it's a game of luck, but they did make an attempt, and it's quite fun to pick off bandits with a bow. So I guess you could say it's a hit and miss feature. (Badum-tss)

Horse combat, looks better then it performs.

For those of you who have gotten the full Deadric armor sets, and weapons. Prepare to make room within your armory. Dragon bone weapons have arrived. They don't look quite as good as their Deadric counterparts, but they pack quite the punch. Powerful indeed, so spend all your left-over dragon scales and bones on the weapons.

There is also a new unique weapon in the center of the DLC, (this is one point where the two factions met and followed nearly the same route) it is called Auriel's Bow, and if you encrust it with elven blood, then oh my, is it ever beautiful. Have yourself a fancy and shoot it at the sky.

Being cursed with Lycanthropy, or blessed with Vampirism, they aren't really "weapons" but you yourself become a great weapon. Nothing has really changed with the Lycans, minus their own perk tree, but if you become the vampire lord, then there is so much potential to be powerful. As a vampire you gain perks by either biting your enemies, or using the drain life spell. The latter was my favorite way to power myself up. With the Lycans, they just have to feed on someone, prolonging their current transformation, but also gaining them power, as well as health.

If you chose to stay with the Dawnguard, then you can enjoy the many varieties of crossbows. They remain loaded while you sprint through the woods, and they also have a chance to stagger your enemies, but I have noticed that they are also more slow to reload. So they do provide you with a quicker shot, but you had better make it count. Another bonus to the Dawnguard is their armored trolls. Yes, armored trolls, they are a wonderful thing, can take lots of damage, as well as deal it in return. You can hire them in the Dawnguard castle.

Vampire Perk Tree

Werewolf Perk Tree

New Creatures

I won't lie, fighting the new Legendary Dragon was a greater challenge than another dragon you have to face. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that these new dragons only spawn after your character makes level 70. If you can handle the grind, it is well worth it. The legendary dragons have access to new shouts, more than just fire breath and frost breath. So get ready for a fight and a half. Armored Trolls, Gargoyles, Hell Hounds, and more. There's even a few new named dragons to kill. They are all such exciting fights, they offer some interesting challenges.

There still is quite a bit I could write about in this review, however I would hate to ruin the experience of discovery. I found this added around 40+ hours of game play across my three characters. If you can get passed the cliché story, then you can truly enjoy the DLC in the same manner that I have. There was two of the new areas that stood out the most for me. They were absolutely stunning, but I don't want to spoil them for you. You will know when you get there, trust me.

9/10
    +beautiful art
    +more quests
    +lots of content
    +new type of dragon
    -depending on what side you chose, and the choices you make, you may be disappointed with the ending.

Prosecuting with style Vyse the Legend's Avatar
    Actually quite surprised that so much content seems to have been added into Dawnguard, certainly much more than I thought would have been. Especially if you believe there is over 40 hours of content in it. Honestly find that a little hard to believe, but then I haven't tried it out yet to see firsthand.

Nice review though Panda. Think it was a smart move making the new additions so clear to readers, as like myself, sure there will be a few people that may read this and instantly wonder what am I getting for my money.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyse the Legend View Post
    Actually quite surprised that so much content seems to have been added into Dawnguard, certainly much more than I thought would have been. Especially if you believe there is over 40 hours of content in it. Honestly find that a little hard to believe, but then I haven't tried it out yet to see firsthand.

Nice review though Panda. Think it was a smart move making the new additions so clear to readers, as like myself, sure there will be a few people that may read this and instantly wonder what am I getting for my money.

I doubt it really was over 40 hours of new content, but I'm a completionist, mostly, so getting all the achievements for Dawnguard is what took up most of my time, so I think there may be really only 20 hours or so. I only said 40 because that's how many I dumped into Dawnguard in the first few days.

Prosecuting with style Vyse the Legend's Avatar
    Yeah that's pretty much I how figured it would be for myself as well. I think for most people you would get 15 hours or so of content. But for those who want to maximise everything, from meet all new characters, get all achievements, visit every part of all the new maps etc, then you may be able to double that number.

Part of me is still kinda waiting for a sale though, even though I know this will be really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyse the Legend View Post
    Yeah that's pretty much I how figured it would be for myself as well. I think for most people you would get 15 hours or so of content. But for those who want to maximise everything, from meet all new characters, get all achievements, visit every part of all the new maps etc, then you may be able to double that number.

Part of me is still kinda waiting for a sale though, even though I know this will be really good.
    If you're tight with cash atm then it would be a good idea to wait. It'll be well worth it.

To be honest I don't see why you'd be disappointed by either ending when you finish Dawnguard, there's nothing really to be disappointed about unless you thought the overall DLC was poor.

SUCK IT NOOB

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    To be honest I don't see why you'd be disappointed by either ending when you finish Dawnguard, there's nothing really to be disappointed about unless you thought the overall DLC was poor.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........................................
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by Dark Seducer; 17-08-2012 at 07:10 PM.

Gamenoodle
    i agree with you score of 9/10 this is a rather great game the graphics are super and the gameplay i think although i dont like the horse as they seem weird, tis all good
    Last edited by Vyse the Legend; 18-08-2012 at 11:38 PM.

Good score.

good game but the horse in that screenshot is really bad.