Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Has Mario become stale?

I have complained a lot about the Super Mario Bros. series over the forum a fair amount. I feel there's not enough left of the series to be interesting.

Super Mario Galaxy 1 was probably the last good and entertaining Mario experience for me. Not only was the platforming fun, but it was all packaged together with an amazing soundtrack, impressive visuals and had a fantastic feel to it. It was something we've never seen before.
    I guess the fact it was so new and so nicely presented it's why Super Mario Galaxy 2 felt so unenjoyable for me. Galaxy 2's level were almost complete redos of level designs from Galaxy 1, soundtrack barely changed and every level was an excuse to abuse a power up, rather than enjoying the platforming. Throughout the entirety of Galaxy 2 I was constantly thinking that Galaxy 1 was better. Not anything in Galaxy 2 shaped up to it. It felt less like a sequal, but more like a expansion pack, or even a patch of the first game how little was added.

New Super Mario Bros on the DS was also a really good platforming experience. It felt almost exactly like the classic Mario's on the NES/SNES. The fact that it was designed to be such a nice throwback to the originals was great. But New Super Mario Bros. Wii tried to do the exact same and, exactly like Galaxy 2, failed to even slightly rekindle the same experience as the previous installment. Super Mario 3D Land was an attempt to try something new, but felt like Galaxy 2 and Mario Bros. Wii glued together. I've haven't even bothered with New Super Mario Bros. 2 and probably won't for a long time. Just looking at the screenshots made me look away from it.

I'm not saying the Mario games are bad. They still have a quality to them, but it feels like the same quality as before to me. What's even more depressing is Mario Galaxy 1 was 2007 and I've yet to play a Mario game that I've even slightly enjoyed since then. If this keeps up, there's no power up Nintendo can conjure up that will impress me.

But I could just be rambling here. What do you think? Do you think Mario has become stale or do you still find his recent games fun?

I have always enjoyed Mario games, whether they were the very first or the newest slightly changed version. Super Mario to me can never go stale. Once a fan, always a fan, if you know what I mean. Come to think of it, I think Super Mario Galaxy 1 is the only game I have been able to beat over and over and over again andstill play it. But you are right Raw, they do need to change it up a bit to keep the viewers, gamers, and customers buying. I haven't played one since Galaxy 1 due to the fact of the games looking slightly the same more often.

"Anything can be taken away from you, but everything can be given to you." CoachMario

Yes, Mario has become stale like Metroid, Zelda, Pokémon. This seems natural and unavoidable. Nintendo needs to create NEW characters and new games instead making sequences and remakes.
    Last edited by Shy Wolf; 07-09-2012 at 04:14 PM.

To me the likes of Metroid, Zelda and Pokemon are fine, as there's usually a new feel to the games. Be it new settings, story, atmosphere there's always a new feel to these titles. But Mario doesn't feel different at all. Maybe because the Mario series these days never wants to leave The Mushroom Kingdom and never lay the "Bowser kidnaps Peach" concept to rest.

Mario needs to dump that helpless cow and find a woman who's actually useful.

General Forum Rules
    Ignorance is not an excuse.

Meh... I might buy the new super Mario bro's 2 for the 3DS, and perhaps Mario cart 7 and Mario cart 3D, but that's really about it for Mario games.
    I currently own a PlayStation one, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox, Wii, Gamecube, Nintendo DS (Original), Nintendo 3DS, Game boy advance, (Original), PSP PlayStation Vita, Sega Dreamcast, Sega Genius, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Entertainment System, and V.Smile. I use to be a fan of Warriors, by Erin Hunter, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Quote Originally Posted by Éclair View Post
    Mario needs to dump that helpless cow and find a woman who's actually useful.
    I totally agree with you. He needs some new taste in cows, lol

"Anything can be taken away from you, but everything can be given to you." CoachMario

Well, Pauline hasn't been kidnapped since the 1980's, so I guess she's smart enough.

Even Pokemon, my favorite serie game, is getting stale. Below is why I think this:

In each version happens always the same events:

- 8 gym leanders
    - 3 starters Pokemon (grass, fire or water)
    - Elite Four and Champion in the final of the main history
    - last cave is always named as Victory Road
    - every second city visited has a Trainer's School
    - battle tower in the two first versions and battle frontier in the third.
    - Champion is met during the game instead only after Elite Four
    - the event involving the legendary of the version happens between seventh and eight gym

I think these are some of the features that have become standard on Pokémon games. Why can they make a bit different? For example, the event involving legendary could happen right after third gym and get solved before fourth gym? And why there are so many caves named Victory Road? They should each has its own name. And fighting the Champion is not more that mysterious once you meet him (or her) before reaching Elite Four.

And, have the professors of the regions talked with each other to have only three starters Pokemons availabe to beginner players?

These are just to reflect my thought. Hope you understand it.

If I where to start playing Pokemon again, I'd stick with Leafgreen, soul-silver, blue, red, yellow or silver. I'm secretly hoping that one of the game boy games will become available via download through the E-shop for the 3DS.
    I currently own a PlayStation one, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox, Wii, Gamecube, Nintendo DS (Original), Nintendo 3DS, Game boy advance, (Original), PSP PlayStation Vita, Sega Dreamcast, Sega Genius, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Entertainment System, and V.Smile. I use to be a fan of Warriors, by Erin Hunter, but then I took an arrow to the knee.