Guild Wars 2 - PC

Alright this is a First Look Review of Guild Wars 2. I'm actually going to base this on a point system but please feel free to post your own review in your own way. Please note I have made it to Level 4 and this is really a first impression more so than an in depth review.

Ok breaking it down
    Character Creation - The character creation is in my opinion done really well giving solid base character traights and giving the player an ability to really mold the character appearance to their specifications. Height, Facial structure, Even the ability to change the color of your base low level armors is included. You also get the ability to mold your background story slightly to really give depth to your character before you even enter the game. I give character creation a 10/10

Quest - The questing in Guild Wars 2 is new to me entirely. It's like a fresh drink of water. You are not forced to follow a linear game rather the player is really encouraged to explore. The addition of Dynamic Events really adds an element of fun and entertainment and again is the first of it's type that I've seen. You could be questing and in the middle of a battle and out of the blue a dynamic event happens that you the player have the choice to ignore or partipate in. Participation is of course rewared and feels very natural. You almost find yourself thinking that you won't play another game that does not include Dynamic Events. I give questing in Guild Wars 2 10/10

Battle Mechanics - Thus far once again Guild Wars 2 shines in this area. With an added ability to really dodge your enemy the battles are no longer target and spam skills but rather it encourages the player to think out the battle before engaging and monitor the opponents moves while in battle. They also give the player the ability to fight after your HP reaches 0 giving a new detail to the battle system and allowing a player to get back up if he/she succesfully defeats the opponent while down. The battles feel engaging thus far and are very entertaining. Again I give Guild Wars 2 a 10/10

Community - The community so far is large which is a definite plus. The dynamic events encourage all players in the area to help and so far I've seen groups of players coming out of the woodwork for the events. This alone feels great. I did find a flaw with the contact system however as you can add any player as a friend without a notification being sent to that player. If this is a bug on my end then my apologies. The other problem is that your starting location is Race specific so thus far it seems difficult to locate a friend. Due to this system I actually have a fear that my character will be less rewarded teaming up with friends who chose different races up front as the storyline differs from race to race. In this area I give Guild Wars 2 a 7.8/10

Leveling - The Leveling system seems right not too fast nor too slow up front. In addition there are just so many things that give you exp whereas in the past only killing a mob and turning in a quest gave you the ability to earn Exp. Honestly in Guild Wars 2 I'm involved enough with the story thus far that I don't pay much attention to my level yet still enjoy watching Exp pop up randomly on my screen as I play. This feels really good. Guild Wars 2 Recieves another 10/10

Storyline - Once again Guild Wars 2 delivers as thus far I feel drawn into my story. The freedom to choose where I go in game coupled with the ability to mold my own story in the character creation section really adds a realistic feeling to the storyline and definately delivers. I honestly see no flaws just yet. Guild Wars 2 10/10

Camera - The camera in Guild Wars 2 is well placed for 3rd person though does have a subtle flaw of zooming in and discombobulating me when I enter certain areas. It's not a huge flaw but it is definately there. For this GW2 get's a 7.5/10

The above image is a screenshot from a low end computer to give you an idea of the game at a lower graphics perspective. Thank you to my friend Anna. =)

Graphics - It's very hard to judge graphics in my opinion as people vary so much in what they want to see in a game. Also your hardware plays a factor in graphics quality as well as you can see from the above image. For this section I'll be basing the review on my own computer which runs a Radeon 7770 (view second image as it was taken directly from my PC). The game is cartoonish, reminds me of the graphics found in Diablo 3 although my class has a little bit to do with it. The Asura are definately cartoonish as it's hard to bring the imagination into vivid detail. However I have seen other classes (i.e. Human, and norm) that do not have that cartoon look to them. The Enviorments are well done and the art work really pops. Compared to an FPS it is absolutely not the quality of graphics as say MW3. To play fair Guild Wars 2 comes somewhere in the vicinity of Aion though not quite as visually stunning. I'd give it a 7.9/10

The only other element I'll be judging as of now is the Method of Purchase - Up front the 62 dollars and change I spent on the game left my pocket a little empty but after playing a little bit so far I've actually found myself thinking ''That's all I had to spend for this kind of gameplay" Very happy they did not go with a pay to play method although I have heard rumors of being able to purchase exp boosts with real money in game, which is a real no no for me. However I have not delved that far into the game and I do not base ratings off of rumors so for now I have to give Guild Wars 2 another 10/10

*Drum Roll Please*
    My Guild Wars 2 First Look review gives GW2 a - 9 out of 10

So what this means is that upon purchase those first few hours you spend playing the game will be amazing. I will continue my stay with the GW2 Community for now and post regular review updates as I learn more about the game. As this is a massive game I think regular review updates would be more thourough than an entire in depth review at this point. It would just be too difficult to give you a solid review after a few days as there is SO much in game content. Again please feel free to post your own reviews and as always GAME ON!!
    Last edited by SouLzi3R; 06-11-2012 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Working of Final Copy for the Review section of the Forum

I've actually been thinking a lot, trying to decide if I should buy it or not. I was raised to learn that I should not base my judgment on third parties, but this is yet another positive review I see. I don't know, it feels like I'll spend 55 euros in it and then it will simply be like Runes of Magic or so. The likes of crowds rarely fit my own. Diablo III was a fine example. Skyrim was too. So yeah, unfortunately, despite being well done, this review isn't enough to convince me.

Quote Originally Posted by rippergand View Post
    I've actually been thinking a lot, trying to decide if I should buy it or not. I was raised to learn that I should not base my judgment on third parties, but this is yet another positive review I see. I don't know, it feels like I'll spend 55 euros in it and then it will simply be like Runes of Magic or so. The likes of crowds rarely fit my own. Diablo III was a fine example. Skyrim was too. So yeah, unfortunately, despite being well done, this review isn't enough to convince me.
    I haven't played Skyrim and I, like you, am not always happy with the crowds opinion. I would like you to know that I am a highly critical gamer meaning that games usually dissapoint me on some level or another. I did join the crowd and play Diablo 3 to absolute and utter dissapointment. Diablo 3 was a Fail forget all the hype. Also keep in mind my review was only a first look. I've played maybe 5 hours so far with no real dissapointment. I just bought it Yesterday and I had to work today and tomorrow so you might want to wait and see if my opinion changes after I get some full on contact with this game on Sunday. P.S. I did forget to mention graphics in my review. It's very hard to judge graphics in my opinion as people vary so much in what they want to see in a game. The game is cartoonish, reminds me of the graphics found in Diablo 3 although my class has a little bit to do with it. The Asura are definately cartoonish as it's hard to bring the imagination into vivid detail. However I have seen other classes that do not have that cartoon look to them. The Enviorments are well done. Please note I'm using a Radeon 7770 in my PC (So hoping to soon upgrade to the 7970 to record in game footage in HD).

Sorry got off track the enviroments are well done and pleasing visually. Compared to an FPS absolutely not as visually stunning as say MW3. But playing fair Guild Wars 2 comes somewhere in the vicinity of Aion though not quite as visually stunning. I'd give it a 3.8/5 although if I could view the game with a radeon 7970 or even a 6970 I'd be able to tell you more. I'll do the math after I post this and edit in the new number sorry about that.

The Final Rating and please forgive me this is my first review - 4.5 out of 5
    Last edited by SouLzi3R; 03-11-2012 at 03:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SouLzi3R View Post
    I haven't played Skyrim and I, like you, am not always happy with the crowds opinion. I would like you to know that I am a highly critical gamer meaning that games usually dissapoint me on some level or another. I did join the crowd and play Diablo 3 to absolute and utter dissapointment. Diablo 3 was a Fail forget all the hype. Also keep in mind my review was only a first look. I've played maybe 5 hours so far with no real dissapointment. I just bought it Yesterday and I had to work today and tomorrow so you might want to wait and see if my opinion changes after I get some full on contact with this game on Sunday. P.S. I did forget to mention graphics in my review. It's very hard to judge graphics in my opinion as people vary so much in what they want to see in a game. The game is cartoonish, reminds me of the graphics found in Diablo 3 although my class has a little bit to do with it. The Asura are definately cartoonish as it's hard to bring the imagination into vivid detail. However I have seen other classes that do not have that cartoon look to them. The Enviorments are well done. Please note I'm using a Radeon 7770 in my PC (So hoping to soon upgrade to the 7970 to record in game footage in HD).

Sorry got off track the enviroments are well done and pleasing visually. Compared to an FPS absolutely not as visually stunning as say MW3. But playing fair Guild Wars 2 comes somewhere in the vicinity of Aion though not quite as visually stunning. I'd give it a 3.8/5 although if I could view the game with a radeon 7970 or even a 6970 I'd be able to tell you more. I'll do the math after I post this and edit in the new number sorry about that.

The Final Rating and please forgive me this is my first review - 4.5 out of 5
    That's exactly what I was going to suggest! If you could make a similar review in, let's say, two weeks, that'd be great. Because who knows, maybe then you'll find the game less exhilarating? Or maybe you'll like it even more. But this was a nice review, kind of short but direct, makes it less boring to read. Props!

Prosecuting with style Vyse the Legend's Avatar
    Just so you know Soul, we do already have a review area where we will place any reviews sent in to us, (best place to see them really).

If you want your review to go there, (fine if you don't of course), you would need to make a few changes to fit the set requirements, like 2 pictures, a title etc, but think what you have done is close enough to go into the review glossary. Up to you, but thought I'd let you know anyways.

Fear is the Mind Killer Star Hustler's Avatar
    Good review, however it's to short as Guild Wars 2 is pretty vast and theres stuff you haven't touched upon.

I think this has been time enough! Are you still enjoying it and staying loyal to your opinion?

Bought Guild Wars 2 and had ridiculous FPS problems just like tons of others in the tech section of the GW2 forum. Some of them have ridiculous monster computers so I won't be wasting my money on upgrading the rig to see it fail yet again. TERRIBLE mistake on Anets part, the coding that is. They've reddited that they're looking for fixes daily but we'll have to wait and see that one out.

In all other aspects, as in the actual gameplay etc. , it is an amazing game.

/gif~