Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Borderlands 2 - Xbox 360 - PS3

Borderlands 2 a sequel to the first person shooter game created by “Gearbox” Though it practically runs the same quite a few things have been improved.

Just like in the first Borderlands it takes place on the planet known as “Pandora” a planet rich with minerals like “Eridium” in which rich companies like “Hyperion” go to mine to make profit. You have the choice between four characters to start with The Commando “Axton” The Siren “Maya” The Assassin “Zer0” and finally the Gunzerker “Salvador” You can also buy the Mechromancer Character “Gaige” for either 800 Microsoft points or if you pre-ordered the game you get her for free. Each character has its own unique power, The Commando has its Turret, The Siren can Phaselock, The Assassin can turn invisible and create a distraction, the Gunzerker can use two guns at once & the Mechromancer can call out its robot called “Deathtrap”. Every time you level up you get a skill point & can buff up your skill in multiple ways, each character has three skill trees which affect your skills in many different ways. You are tasked to take down “Handsome Jack” head of the Hyperion Corporation who is attempting to open a vault for himself.
    The Storyline in Borderlands 2 is far more story-based and scripted then the first one. The character development is far more superior then in the first game. The characters from the first game are put into the game very well & done without ruining anything or contradicting anything from the first game.

Borderlands 2 basis around the whole style of “Shooting & Looting”, Like previously stated each characters skill tree is far more enhanced then the previous game. Each character has three different skill trees & they are far more improved then the first game each skill tree is practically different from the other and has far more customizations options then the first game had. Another good edition that they have added is how you can change the head of your character & the skin. There are more than thirty heads and over 80 different possible skins that you obtain through monster drops & completing certain challenges. There are many challenges to complete which also help you level up much easier than the first game.

Borderlands 2 has even more ways to customize you character, maybe not in appearance but definitely in build & strength. They have an even bigger Variety of weapons, Grenade Mods, Class Mods, Shields & even relics. The further you get into the game you the more chance you have of rarer weapons dropping. Each weapon has a colour to show the rarity of it. Green & Blue being the most common & Purple being rare & orange being the rarest. Same goes for Shields, Class Mods, Grenade modes & Relics.

The areas you can explore in Borderlands 2 are way more superior then the first game instead of it being the usual Desert type, Greenland & Snow you now have a bigger variety. For example The Ice area of the Southern Shelf, the City Area of Sanctuary, City/Construction area of Opportunity, Grassy areas of the Highland & Wildlife Preserve, The dark & magma area of Eridium blight and the desert/Slag area of Arid Nexus, all these different looks causes the scenery to get less repetitive and boring unlike the first game.
    As for characters other than the original four playable characters there is also the return of others like Dr. Zed, Moxxi, Scooter & of course Claptrap. The new characters are just as good, if not better. Sir Hammerlock the Gentleman hunter, Tiny Tina the world’s most deadly 13 year old, Ellie the Mechanic & then the evil nemesis Handsome Jack.

As for the longevity of the game the main quests can be done in probably 30 hours, but for those who like to explore & do most of the side quests at the same time the game can take much longer. Though the initial few hours Pandora can seem a bit empty & boring though as you get further into it & past Sanctuary the pace does pick up a great deal.

The Multiplayer co-op function in Borderlands 2 doesn’t disappoint having both an online & offline feature it is definitely enjoyable playing it with either a friend or family member, split screen or even online. The more people that join the game (4 Maximum) the higher the difficulty of monsters gets meaning the more chance of better/rare loot dropping & more EXP per enemy kill. Though with all these good sides there comes bad sides at the same time. Loot sharing being one of them, okay if some picks up cash or eridium all members get it, but the same doesn’t apply for weapons, for weapons it’s basically first come first serve, so if you have a bunch of randomers join your game there is a possibility that as soon as you find a really good weapon, or item for your character someone else might come along & nick it. Now some people might be kind enough to dup it (Easy way to get doubles of the same weapon or item) but there are also those who won’t bother & will just keep the gun to themselves. Another downside is the spawning chances are you will always die somewhere & depending on where that somewhere is there is also a chance that you might have to walk a great distance to reach your squad once again.

+ Great Missions, Characters & a lot of customization
    + Looting system is good other than the slight problem I mentioned
    + Has a lot of variety in Areas

- Some Challenges & side missions Can glitch
    - Loot Sharing in Multiplayer
    - Slow start

So overall it is hard to mind many faults with the game. They’ve basically sorted out every problem the first game had, they’ve paced it very well, developed the characters even more, created a better story & greatly improved how much you can customize your character & skills. Though for anyone who is looking for something like Call Of Duty, or any FPS like that this probably isn’t for them. Anyone looking for a FPS with RPG elements then this is probably worth your time & money definitely!

Score: 9/10

Review by: Deus Ex Machina
    Last edited by Rawgasm; 31-01-2013 at 01:51 PM.

Banned
    Thanks for putting it up.

Nice review Arek

Think the negative points you've listed are more than fair. The Loot sharing in MP can be a pain but as you mentioned it can be rectified though duping. But players really shouldn't have to resort to that. Hopefully if we get a Borderlands 3, Gearbox will take note and find a way to streamline the loot system somehow, can't imagine it would be too hard really.

While I personally never experienced any problems with challenges glitching, I can imagine how infuriating that must be! And err..... of course there's the notorious Jimmy Jenks challenge haha!

Keep up the good work mate!

Prosecuting with style Vyse the Legend's Avatar
    You know as I was reading this I thought to myself, this sounds like something Arek would say about the game, and sure enough turns out he wrote it haha.

Liked your review, you certainly touched on all the important areas and differences between both games, which is what most people would want to know. Suppose maybe you could have talked a tiny bit about the DLC, but then you could have wrote a novel adding all the things to discuss.

Only other little piece of advice I might suggest, is to try and spend a little more time talking about your own thoughts on the game, than how the game works. Say like mentioning your favourite moment in the game, or something that made you laugh, that sort of thing. Just makes the review feel a little less formal I guess. Anyways, good job!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyse the Legend View Post
    You know as I was reading this I thought to myself, this sounds like something Arek would say about the game, and sure enough turns out he wrote it haha.

Liked your review, you certainly touched on all the important areas and differences between both games, which is what most people would want to know. Suppose maybe you could have talked a tiny bit about the DLC, but then you could have wrote a novel adding all the things to discuss.

Only other little piece of advice I might suggest, is to try and spend a little more time talking about your own thoughts on the game, than how the game works. Say like mentioning your favourite moment in the game, or something that made you laugh, that sort of thing. Just makes the review feel a little less formal I guess. Anyways, good job!
    Haha, Yeah I thought about doing the DLC, But I might do a review for each DLC or possible one Review about all three. I was actually debating whether to add some moments that made me laugh and all that but I wasn't too sure whether people would rather me keep it out considering I know some people on here still haven't finished the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Hunter View Post
    Nice review Arek

Think the negative points you've listed are more than fair. The Loot sharing in MP can be a pain but as you mentioned it can be rectified though duping. But players really shouldn't have to resort to that. Hopefully if we get a Borderlands 3, Gearbox will take note and find a way to streamline the loot system somehow, can't imagine it would be too hard really.

While I personally never experienced any problems with challenges glitching, I can imagine how infuriating that must be! And err..... of course there's the notorious Jimmy Jenks challenge haha!

Keep up the good work mate!
    I remember being in a game with someone and then a complete randomer, the one person was harvesting a boss for a certain gun & finally got it, although the complete randomer picked it up & left. I duped it for him afterwards considering I already had it but I can imagine it happening to someone who doesn't have someone who can dup it for them, would be really annoying.

I've had the challenges glitch which caused me to go back to my Commando to do the challenges which was fairly annoying, Heard about the side missions glitching alot but I haven't went through them all yet, but I do hope that it doesn't for me >3< Or it will make not want to re do it on another save and I'll most likely leave to see if they patch it or I might either wait awhile before doing them again or even just leave it, which i really don't want to do haha.

& Thanks guys

That's true hadn't considered that posting some more personal views on the game would result in spoilers for others. Guess trying to explain some aspects, without giving things away too much is pretty hard. I mean, people might have got really mad if you told them that the final boss against Claptrap was the highlight of the game.

I kid of course for anyone who hasn't played, honest.

Banned
    Though speaking of Claptrap one of my favorite moments with him was well, just before the end where he is trying to open the door to Hero's Pass & then the speech when he finds out what is behind the door

Hahaha that was also my favourite moment as well. I remember spending about 5 minutes just listening to his monologue after the door was open. Poor little guy.

Banned
    He got all pumped up for a load of disappointment afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by Deus Ex Machina View Post
    Though speaking of Claptrap one of my favorite moments with him was well, just before the end where he is trying to open the door to Hero's Pass & then the speech when he finds out what is behind the door
    Yeah that was a real highlight of the game for me as well haha. Poor Claptrap. Think they did a much better job of making him likeable in B2 as well.

He does have some of the funniest dialogue/sequences in the game. His party quest is so embarrassingly awkward but so sad at the same time XD