Its official: playing Wii is good for you!

A news story out today has shown that 'playing video games for just a few hours could do more for dyslexic children's reading skills than a whole year of traditional teaching' and those who played the Wii game Rayman Raving Rabbids for as little as 12 hours significantly improved their reading speed and attention.
    I can't think of better excuse to go and buy Rayman Raving Rabbids now and give it a try! Anyone got it and think its made them smarter? I've been saying for years that I think playing alot of these games has improved my brain!
    The news story if your interested is here http://news.sky.com/story/1058337/vi...ids-says-study

Banned
    Video games can be very mentally stimulating. I personally believe I've improved my knowledge in a lot of fields due to my exposure to certain games, and have learned about a lot of things in general due to them. Game developers can make a mentally enriching experience, just as much as a book author can make an experience that makes you lose IQ points.

Prosecuting with style Vyse the Legend's Avatar
    I haven't tried that particular game, but I do own Big Brain Academy on Wii, and would use that for an hour or so everyday, mostly competing against anyone in my family who wanted to join. Honestly I could certainly feel my overall knowledge, awareness, and other areas being improved each week by using it. I'm sure having not played it in such a long time that what would have taken me seconds to work out then, would be minutes now haha.

But yep no doubt it really can work, but only with certain games, and if you do it on a reasonable basis I imagine.

U.S. only: I went up to California State in the spelling bee... because of video games! <3. Also, I breeze through volcabulary and spelling tests, and can read better than three grades above my grade level. When parents ask me, "How do you get so good? Do you read all night, or study? Also, your math stinks",
    I say, "Video games, my friend. Video games. Also, yes, my math is terrible", then I pat them on the back. They tend to tell their children to stay away from me

Hmm, based on my own observation, I think playing a lot of games have made some children become more mature or more aware of what's happening in the world! Gone are the days of simple video games like side scrolling Super Marios or vertical climbing Ice Climbers. Games of today have different stories that would really make a young mind think. Compare the kids of today who play video games to the kids of the past. The kids of today know more.

Please don't let my kids see this ! haha I'm telling them everything opposite to what you've stated though it know it to be somewhat true. But getting outside and kicking around a ball is still MUCH better for you then video games

I thought that this was going to be an article about how Wii sports was beneficial and I was all set to argue how I could bowl strikes while sitting down and just flicking my wrist... Good to see that I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by mh57 View Post
    I thought that this was going to be an article about how Wii sports was beneficial and I was all set to argue how I could bowl strikes while sitting down and just flicking my wrist... Good to see that I was wrong.
    hahah I had the exactly same expectation.

Yes computer games can help in certain areas, for example English (being my 3rd language) was a lot easier for me since I used to absorb it so much when playing games.
    However there is always a limit to being beneficial and being just too much. If you sit in front of the pc all day long for your childhood, you're missing out on so many other things.