Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Nintendo have really hit a wall with regards to home console gaming. The Wii-U really needed to be a powerhouse, to take the world by storm the same way the Wii did. But they failed that through poor support and a terrible amount of posturing. To claim it is a next-gen console is laughable. The Wii itself was graphically inferior to the PS3 and 360. The Wii-U is about par with the PS3/360's graphical capabilities. With the Wii graphics weren't a big deal, the target audience was predominantly younger children and parents who didn't overly care for such things/didn't know too much about such things. The Wii-U however was meant to take a true step into the ring with the big boys, and join the "hardcore" tier.

The release games were terrible. They had some support from big guns like EA and Activision, but the issue was that they were games most people had already seen, played, and beaten long ago. Great if you hadn't played them sure, but when you're taking a step to a different market, to a new target audience, you need something fresh. "Look, it's Mass Effect 3! And YOU CAN SEE INFORMATION ON YOUR CONTROLLER OMFG!" That's not fresh, and it's not innovative. People rant and rave about Nintendo being oh-so thoughtful and creating something so amazing that has never been done, I direct you to the Dreamcast, whose VMUs (Visual Memory Units) could be used to show information about the game you're playing. It wasn't used much because really, who wants to look at the controller when you're playing a game through your TV?

Nintendo is still top dog in the handheld market, and that's where they should stay.

Long Gone
    Honestly, Éclair I think you're underestimating it and forgetting that Nintendo are not the first console for most people. Nintendo's sales come from people getting the home consoles for the exclusives which are primarily first party games (which we haven't actually seen much of yet). I reckon that when Smash Bros and Mario Kart, two big hitters hit the shelves the WiiU's sales will skyrocket and it'll happen again when the WiiU Mario game (64/Sunshine/Galaxy one, not New Super Mario Bros) and the Legend of Zelda games are released.

The release games for most Nintendo consoles aren't that good, look at the Wii and DS' release date list. One was severely lacking and the biggest hitter on the DS release list was a terrible Mario 64 port ruined by the lack of Joystick (Mario 64 DS would have actually worked as a 3DS launch game though oddly enough).

Nintendo isn't screwed. BUT they aren't on easy street either.

The thing is they thought they could get everyone with a gimmick two times in a row. This time, the gimmick is a tiny bit more expensive and not casual friendly. Which is why the Wii U is having trouble. They have to play to their strengths and focus on family orientated games and first party

The third parties make it pretty clear that Nintendo is an afterthought for them.

Press X To Rescue Orphans Ride the Walrus's Avatar
    I don't really see Wii U as being gimmicky, to be fair. Wii was for the time, but the U is much more 'standard' gaming platform. Controller, monitor, console. I;m still happy with my purchase a month ago, got about 6/7 games, and I'm happy as can be
    Died Wearing A Purple Jacket.

THE MOOSE IS LOOSE

Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    Honey, I ****ed the kids

Prosecuting with style Vyse the Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4justice View Post
    This time, the gimmick is a tiny bit more expensive and not casual friendly. Which is why the Wii U is having trouble. They have to play to their strengths and focus on family orientated games and first party

The third parties make it pretty clear that Nintendo is an afterthought for them.
    Wouldn't say the trouble is some sort of gimmick image, because as Walrus said, wouldn't really call the console that gimmicky, certainly when compared to the Wii, and look how well that did. The real problem is just a lack of games, meaning sales have been very poor. That leads to your point of third parties abandoning Nintendo, because they don't see any profit in them, and you really can't argue with that.

Nintendo needs to restore confidence in not only the consumer, but the industry as a whole, including retailers, who are slowly giving up wanting to even stock the console. The line-up they have is strong, but will it be enough, not sure myself.

Pretty sure i read somewhere that Nintendo have only sold just over 200,000 WiiU's in the last month globally....that's really shocking and i thinks shows that they have got it badly wrong this time.
    [CENTER]

Prosecuting with style Vyse the Legend's Avatar
    Yeah I recall reading something to that degree as well Cronus. If these figures really aren't the slap in the face that Nintendo need, then surely nothing will.

And you know what might be the worst thing in all of this? Nintendo SHOULD have a great hold on the market at the moment, I mean the WiiU had this year long start over both MS and Sony, and done nothing with it. As soon as the Xbone and PS4 come out..... then I really dare to see how sales go at this rate.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyse the Legend View Post
    Yeah I recall reading something to that degree as well Cronus. If these figures really aren't the slap in the face that Nintendo need, then surely nothing will.

And you know what might be the worst thing in all of this? Nintendo SHOULD have a great hold on the market at the moment, I mean the WiiU had this year long start over both MS and Sony, and done nothing with it. As soon as the Xbone and PS4 come out..... then I really dare to see how sales go at this rate.
    Honestly, I don't see the Wii-U as a next-gen console. Visually it's on par with the PS3 and 360. Its library of games is comprised of a lot of games that exist on the PS3 and 360. In those respects, it's more of a current-gen console to me. Once the PS4 and X1 drop, I think it will be left in the dust completely. And I think that could be a good thing. Nintendo has always had a gigantic cult following, to the extent they feel like they're untouchable, that they can do no wrong. This needs to end. They need to learn that the intelligent gamer won't fall for the rehashed **** they put out the way their hardcore fans will.

Quote Originally Posted by Éclair View Post
    Honestly, I don't see the Wii-U as a next-gen console. Visually it's on par with the PS3 and 360. Its library of games is comprised of a lot of games that exist on the PS3 and 360. In those respects, it's more of a current-gen console to me. Once the PS4 and X1 drop, I think it will be left in the dust completely. And I think that could be a good thing. Nintendo has always had a gigantic cult following, to the extent they feel like they're untouchable, that they can do no wrong. This needs to end. They need to learn that the intelligent gamer won't fall for the rehashed **** they put out the way their hardcore fans will.
    I agree for the most part, except, I do think Nintendo is untouchable, not that I think they can do wrong, but that they never will face much penalty for it.

OOF-Writing.com
    "Insert a super-cool and witty comment that will make them want to click your link here." - Sir Nikolai McCon's III.

Banned
    From the sales of the Wii-U lately, I'd say they're paying a price for their arrogance.