Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hard, pipe-hitting nigga Lootosh's Avatar

Is Nintendo ****ed?

I saw some discussion about the wii U in the Xbox one thread (obviously the place to talk about Nintendo) and I was wondering what everyone else thinks. Is the Wii U going to suffer poor sales with its early release and limited games or will the rumours about the new Xbox and playstation encourage more people to give the Wii U a go?
    I wish I loved the human race
    I wish I loved its silly face,
    I wish I liked the way it walks; I wish I liked the way it talks,
    And when I'm introduced one, I wish I thought 'What jolly fun!'

Press X To Rescue Orphans Ride the Walrus's Avatar
    If anyone thinks the wii u will fail because it has not had the greatest games out in its first year, then they're a bit silly, pretty much every console starts like that. The 3DS is one of the most popular ones out there, and for ages there was few games for it, and no 'key' ones.

I have little doubt Nintendo will get some quality games out for the wii u, as they've done for the other consoles in their time.
    Died Wearing A Purple Jacket.

THE MOOSE IS LOOSE

Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    Honey, I ****ed the kids

Banned
    Second what Wally said.

In the eternal land of seclusion... the void.
    They're a bit behind in technology yeah, but they just know simplicity is the way to go. For one they know gaming isn't about achievements etc. Wii was always directed at having fun with your games, and it was a clever idea, and probably the most bought console around Christmas, or at least it was.

Nintendo will never be "****ed", they're one of gaming's largest companies, and the Wii U I feel will become more of a success, probably more than Xbox One if what's said is true. As for the DS handhelds, I think they're far superior than any handheld I've touched. The 3Ds is probably slower paced than it's predecessor, but it will get there. Pretty sure Nintendo's attitude is if it's not broke don't fix it, much like most of their exclusives.

I'm really looking forward to what they have at e3, my only Nintendo complaint is that their titles are always limited, and too pricey due to most of their rareness. Kind've wish they'd do something about greedy gamers making a profit out've it, by I dunno, distributing more copies. I'm still searching for Xenoblade Chronicles, which just keeps steeping in price.

The fact that the WiiU current game line isn't that great isn't really worrying. As others have said, plenty of consoles start off with a rather tepid line up that only gets better with time. What is slightly more worrying is the fact that big publishers don't seem to have the WiiU in mind at all as they move forward. EA for example have already stated that of all the games they currently have in development, none of them are going to be WiiU compatible. So when you think how many games EA generally puts out in a year alone, that kind of puts it into perspective. If other developers/publishers were to take that stand point, then i'd say the WiiU could definitely be in trouble. For now though, i'd say it's safe. The WiiU had very successful launch figures which is hardly surprising given how closely it released to Christmas. Its sales might have dipped since, but they'll probably see a reinvigoration when the consoles drops in price a bit more.

Long Gone
    Considering how well Nintendo did last generation they are far from f(beep!)ed. Part of me wants to predict the WiiU as being the highest selling home console right now to be honest.

Last gen the Wii had very limited 3rd party support but was still financially a success. If Nintendo doesn't get all the 'big' games that PS4/XBone get it doesn't affect them for one simple reason; Nintendo consoles are not 'first consoles' for most people, they are 'second consoles' which people usually purchase for the high quality exclusive games. Then when you add that to their additional support to the so called 'casual' market, and their brand recognition from both the DS and the Wii within said market, Nintendo aren't f(beep!)ed, if anything they're in their little niche and it is working very well for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride the Walrus View Post
    The 3DS is one of the most popular ones out there, and for ages there was few games for it, and no 'key' ones.
    The 3DS had the benefit of getting a big price drop though, and that's when its sales really took off. But since that was such a drastic measure for Nintendo, presumably the WiiU won't get the same luxury anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Seducer
    They're a bit behind in technology yeah
    Are they really? Not in every sense I'd say. Sure, they decided not to cram larger (and more expensive) CPUs/GPUs in their console - technological revolution right there -
    but I haven't seen Microsoft been able to wirelessly and seamlessly stream games from console to controller, yet. (Sony will do that with the PS4, but you'll need to buy a Vita on top of that to do it................)

On the WiiU Nintendo really shot themselves in the foot by not having a "killer app" for the console right at launch. For the Wii that was Wii Sports, and it generated so much hype that it just allowed the sales to snowball and for Nintendo to completely gobble up the casual audience. I think Nintendo Land was supposed to be the showcase game for the WiiU, but for some bizarre reason they only bundled it with the "Pro" console and not the "Basic" model..........the one casuals would have been buying. If they didn't think WiiU was an addon controller for the Wii. =S

Now they're gonna just have to rely on the standard Mario/Zelda fare saving the day, but by the time they're out any of that launch frenzy that made the Wii so successful will be long long gone for WiiU. So no matter what they do now I don't think they're not going to come close to the heights they reached with Wii. Although depending on how badly their competition **** up - which could be strong at this rate - they can probably still do relatively well. But as I've said in other threads, I'm predicting drops in sales across all three consoles, thanks to the most popular games consoles this generation so far - smartphones and tablets.................
    TRGT - Tosser Racing Gran Turismo

In the eternal land of seclusion... the void.
    You know what kind of technology I meant.

I do - I'm just pointing out that there are different ways of looking at that technology. And at the end of the day the most important thing is how it's used. You could have the most powerful console in the world, but if it's only used to run, say, a billion and one TV services no one is gonna be particularly happy....................
    TRGT - Tosser Racing Gran Turismo

Prosecuting with style Vyse the Legend's Avatar
    They aren't in that desperate trouble yet, but they have given themselves a mountain to climb, more so because of what the competition is going to do at the end of the year.

Nintendo really needed a strong start to the WiiU, which as we all know it really hasn't had for one reason and another. Now they are playing catch up, and are going to need to hope that the AAA titles they bring out, (which will certainly happen, let's not pretend they won't, or that they likely won't be great), will entice enough people to continue supporting them.

If they sort out the line-up of games, provide more incentive and reason for other developers to work with them, and overall improve the relationship they have lost with some fans, then the remainder of the year, going into the next, can still be really good. But if they don't step things up, and either Sony and/or MS, start off strong, then the WiiU could already be a distant memory.