Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Last True Gamer JudgeYohance's Avatar

The legend of ET may be finally over?!

While over on the AVGN's site, I found a link that was talking about his upcoming movie, when I read this.

Readers of a certain age might remember Geraldo Rivera’s quest to uncover the secrets of Al Capone’s vaults in 1986, a live television event that spectacularly revealed nothing besides empty bottles and debris. Last month, Fuel Entertainment, a digital company in Los Angeles, acquired an exclusive permit to excavate the Alamogordo landfill over the coming six months. It is probably safe to say there is going to be more than dust to find.
    For those that don't know what we are talking about. E.T. based on the movie had a video game release for the Atari 2600 back in 1982. It is highly regarded as one of the worst, if not the worst, video game of all time. According to the legend, in September of 1983, the company took several truck loads (anything from 9 to 20 trucks) of unsold copies of the game, and dumped them in the Alamogordo landfill and then placed a layer of concrete on top of it. Since then, the site has had a strict policy of keeping the public out so no one has been able to prove the story.

It appears that this is about to change. One of the greatest video game legends may be coming to an end my friends, I wish I could be in L.A. to see it.

Link to the entire article.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/18/us...ace.html?_r=2&
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, beat him with a fish and you have a youtube clip that lasts a lifetime."
    "He came out of the caves and declared, I AM YOHANCE, Hunter of SPAM!"
    GIFSoup

Prosecuting with style Vyse the Legend's Avatar
    Well I would say this has always had the makings for a funny movie, but then we all know that is already being done.

I do remember growing up hearing all about this as a kid, though at the time I didn't give it much thought, presumably as I was far too busy playing other games haha. But looking back on it now, is pretty amazing how this story came to be, and even more so of course if those copies really are under there.

Am rather curious why this company is doing this though, and now of all times. Does seem a little random to me.

it is supposed to be some sort of documentary in relation to the video game crash of 83 but I agree. I wonder why all of a sudden someone pushed for this. More important, if they do find it, who do I have to sleep with to get my hands on some of the treasure?
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, beat him with a fish and you have a youtube clip that lasts a lifetime."
    GIFSoup

Quote Originally Posted by Vyse the Legend View Post
    Am rather curious why this company is doing this though, and now of all times. Does seem a little random to me.
    I think that it's probably because there is more "buzz" about the idea than ever, with Angry Video Game Nerd making a movie about it, as well as other known critics helping to make it something of a phenomenon.

OOF-Writing.com
    "Insert a super-cool and witty comment that will make them want to click your link here." - Sir Nikolai McCon's III.

Prosecuting with style Vyse the Legend's Avatar
    Well it will be interesting to see what, if anything, this does unveil. You can't help but feel that if it turns out next to nothing, then a lot of people will be very disappointed, and I imagine, out of pocket with all the money spent on digging this up.

Would be great if they did turn up a whole ton of copies though, more so if they might actually fall into some lucky people's hands. Hell I know an AVGN video actually playing the game would be one of his biggest videos alone, let alone all the media coverage this is only going to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyse the Legend View Post
    Well it will be interesting to see what, if anything, this does unveil. You can't help but feel that if it turns out next to nothing, then a lot of people will be very disappointed, and I imagine, out of pocket with all the money spent on digging this up.

Would be great if they did turn up a whole ton of copies though, more so if they might actually fall into some lucky people's hands. Hell I know an AVGN video actually playing the game would be one of his biggest videos alone, let alone all the media coverage this is only going to get.
    I think that he's going to officially review the game in the movie.

OOF-Writing.com
    "Insert a super-cool and witty comment that will make them want to click your link here." - Sir Nikolai McCon's III.

Should be a good movie no matter what he does. The various online personalities like James all seem to do excellent jobs with their movies. I have to think it is in part because they are so dedicated and so low budget that they know they have to make it the best it can be. Shame we can't give them Michael bay sized budgets.
    GIFSoup

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeYohance View Post
    Should be a good movie no matter what he does. The various online personalities like James all seem to do excellent jobs with their movies. I have to think it is in part because they are so dedicated and so low budget that they know they have to make it the best it can be. Shame we can't give them Michael bay sized budgets.
    I can't seem to recall any movies from "online" personalities, I can think of Smiley which featured Tobuscus, Shane Dawson, amongst others, but that wasn't exactly good. I do, however, remember some of Nostalgia Critics videos having serious story, and it turning out very well. Bo Burnham got a television show that was ****ing awesome, however, it got canceled a season in.

OOF-Writing.com

I know this is one of my older ones and I am pulling a Necro but here is why

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/0...l-be-on-scene/

This Saturday they begin the dig. They are even inviting people local to the area to join them for it. Wish instantly makes me hate the fact that I live no where near El Paso.

I am not sure how others feel when it comes to items like this but for me this is one of the great Video game legends. It doesn't matter if they find anything or not but damn if it is not a modern day hunt for buried treasure. I hope all those that go to it find the relics of our gaming past....More important...I hope they find something and then sell it to me to add to my collection
    GIFSoup

IT WAS REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY FOUND THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://news.msn.com/science-technolo...es-in-landfill
    GIFSoup