Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33
  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosDanger View Post
    The console's changed a LOT over the years, and mostly for the better.
    I personally feel that the quality of games over the past decade has degenerated. Okay, graphically they're better and in terms of the lack of bugs, and control systems they are also better but they just captivate my attention as much as older games did.

    Also, one thing that really bugs me is the price and longevity of these games. I mean, they expect you to pay around 1/8th of the console price per game, and they tend to only last 10-20 hours. Used to be a time when you could spend £20 and get a game that would last over 30 hours and had a lot of replay value. Got around 2,000 hours on my memory cards with just FFVII-IX alone.

  2. #12
    Those were the good ol' days. The best era in gaming to date in my opinion. The library was expansive with reputable titles that had more value than most games of today. I've also been a diehard fanboy since a controller landed in my hands. I no longer own a PS1, or PS2, but I miss them dearly. I wish I had a PC good enough to run emulators, not that I would even know where to start, but alas, this PC is on it's last legs.

  3. #13
    Senior Member McConnaughay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,228
    Quote Originally Posted by jessica_vance View Post
    I personally feel that the quality of games over the past decade has degenerated. Okay, graphically they're better and in terms of the lack of bugs, and control systems they are also better but they just captivate my attention as much as older games did.

    Also, one thing that really bugs me is the price and longevity of these games. I mean, they expect you to pay around 1/8th of the console price per game, and they tend to only last 10-20 hours. Used to be a time when you could spend £20 and get a game that would last over 30 hours and had a lot of replay value. Got around 2,000 hours on my memory cards with just FFVII-IX alone.

    When was this magical time? In-terms of PlayStation alone, the games were still expensive as hell, and I always found them to be short. Games were never reasonably priced, the high-price now is sixty, but before that, take in inflation, they were always about the same, hell, given inflation, some might have been more.

    Personally, while I'd like to join the club in saying old games were amazing while new ones suck, kind-of like what people do with movies, I can't think of any games from back then that even come remotely close to comparing to The Last of Us, BioShock Infinite, Batman: Arkham City, and all of the games that we have now. It isn't just advanced graphics, but stories are becoming more intricate and controls continue to be polished. That's just me.
    Last edited by McConnaughay; 18-02-2014 at 06:12 AM.


    OOF-Writing.com
    "Insert a super-cool and witty comment that will make them want to click your link here." - Sir Nikolai McCon's III.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by McConnaughay View Post
    When was this magical time? In-terms of PlayStation alone, the games were still expensive as hell, and I always found them to be short. Games were never reasonably priced, the high-price now is sixty, but before that, take in inflation, they were always about the same, hell, given inflation, some might have been more.

    Personally, while I'd like to join the club in saying old games were amazing while new ones suck, kind-of like what people do with movies, I can't think of any games from back then that even come remotely close to comparing to The Last of Us, BioShock Infinite, Batman: Arkham City, and all of the games that we have now. It isn't just advanced graphics, but stories are becoming more intricate and controls continue to be polished. That's just me.
    Clearly the images you have to illustrate your point are from a different country to my own so they are irrelevant. Sorry, but I can't quite speak for every country on the planet. While growing up, I rarely ever saw games over £30 so I guess that's just an issue of locale.

    With regards to duration; yes, many games were short. I've always been an RPG fan however. The majority of these games lasted over thirty hours. Many had sidequests and such that would keep you playing for longer and on top of that, the stories were so captivating and enjoyable with characters so memorable that I felt that they had great replay value based on that alone.

    Anywhoo, you've clearly misread my post as I did not say that new games such. I said that I feel the quality has diminished over the years. Yes, there are some pretty good games out there that I do play regularly but... You know what? I'll give you an example. I bought both the PS3 and 360 on release. I had approximately (give or take ten or so) 100 games for both. How many do I play on both those systems combined now? A handful and on the odd occasion I'll play a second handful. The reason is that I feel games are pretty much identical nowadays. Yes, games always have been, so you've no need to throw that one out there but the issue is that every single game of a genre feels the same.

    All shooters stories are identical when you actually take time to consider it. Same for RPG, and they're mostly hack and slash now too which takes even more fun out of it. RPG's have always been more strategic since the beginning of tabletops and LARPing. FFXV is a great example of how **** the genre is nowadays. Anyway, most games not only have very similar story lines but the characters are mostly the same and so are the controls.

    Okay, a few games now feel a little different since they're being released on new consoles with better specs, but the games that are following them are feeling identical to the last.

    Honestly though, from the games you mentioned the only one that actually held my attention was The Last Of Us and even that was pretty generic.

    But yes, "that's just me".

  5. #15
    Bayesian Conspirator Éclair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,669
    Quote Originally Posted by jessica_vance View Post
    Clearly the images you have to illustrate your point are from a different country to my own so they are irrelevant. Sorry, but I can't quite speak for every country on the planet. While growing up, I rarely ever saw games over £30 so I guess that's just an issue of locale.
    More likely, an issue with the exchange rate. Games here now: £40-45. Games in the US now: $~60 So when you do the math, it works out about the same.

    General Forum Rules
    Ignorance is not an excuse.

  6. #16
    Senior Member McConnaughay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Éclair View Post
    More likely, an issue with the exchange rate. Games here now: £40-45. Games in the US now: $~60 So when you do the math, it works out about the same.
    This.

    And if you think all of the games are the same, then clearly, you haven't been playing the right ones. Also, I think it could be said just as much about older games.


    OOF-Writing.com
    "Insert a super-cool and witty comment that will make them want to click your link here." - Sir Nikolai McCon's III.

  7. #17
    Senior Member willo745's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    9,056
    Quote Originally Posted by McConnaughay View Post
    This.

    And if you think all of the games are the same, then clearly, you haven't been playing the right ones. Also, I think it could be said just as much about older games.
    Same could be said for you though tbh, back then games tried to use story because they didn't have the graphical power. You quote games like Bioshock which is just an update of system shock which storywise and atmosphere is actually far better.

    Compare rpgs now to then for instance and they are all flashy gfx no substance. MGS, Tomb raider, Tekken and a very long list in every genre can hold up to 99 per cent of games today. Hell most genres have disappeared, Great games from back then have disappeared up their own arse, Resi Evil is a cod clone ffs lol. FF is just flashy gfx stripped to the core.

    Ps1 can hold its own against any library and in terms of quality and assortment stands miles ahead of last gen. All you get now is copycat wars part 5.
    [/QUOTE]

    Thanks to Chronic Spender........

  8. #18
    Senior Member McConnaughay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,228
    Quote Originally Posted by willo745 View Post
    Same could be said for you though tbh, back then games tried to use story because they didn't have the graphical power. You quote games like Bioshock which is just an update of system shock which storywise and atmosphere is actually far better.

    Compare rpgs now to then for instance and they are all flashy gfx no substance. MGS, Tomb raider, Tekken and a very long list in every genre can hold up to 99 per cent of games today. Hell most genres have disappeared, Great games from back then have disappeared up their own arse, Resi Evil is a cod clone ffs lol. FF is just flashy gfx stripped to the core.

    Ps1 can hold its own against any library and in terms of quality and assortment stands miles ahead of last gen. All you get now is copycat wars part 5.
    Of course, it could be said for me. I never once claimed that it couldn't. It's really easy to further an idea if you cherry-pick only specific things to further out that idea. All of today's games are copycats of the same thing, or it's a Call of Duty clone, so you mention games like Resident Evil, well, that's really fair, what about The Last of Us? The story was absolutely flawless, the game-play incorporating shooting, as well as a variety of other in-depth content. BioShock is just an update of System Shock? The stories have very little in-common, the game-play is nothing alike, in-fact the only reason that the connection is drawn is because it's technically mentioned as a spiritual successor. Batman: Arkham City is the greatest superhero video-game ever made, when prior to that, the only superhero games that we ever saw were mediocre beat em ups, aside from Spider-Man (PS1) which was fantastic. (Oh, and Asylum, but, yeah.)

    You are mistaking the fact that there isn't a right answer here, there is merely opinion. I have the first three Tomb Raiders, The Angel of Darkness, Underworld, as well as the remake, and honestly, I think Underworld is the best with the remake coming a close-second. I found the controls on the first three games to be mediocre, and I find it to be only "good for the time" and not something that can hold up. I find Uncharted to be better than Tomb Raider on a story-level, as well as controls and game-play, but as for role-playing games, I have never liked Final Fantasy in the first place, except for VII. I am not trying to say that old-games suck, not at all, but I do believe that they are getting better. Dark Souls and Demon Souls are amazingly well-done with role-playing, and a lot of others seem to enjoy Elder Scrolls. I really enjoyed Resident Evil 5, and Revelations was okay, by the way, at least in my opinion. I'll admit that 6 was a little too explosive.

    There's shooters, yes, but there has always been repetition, it's nothing new, and just like before, you have to know where to look. While I appreciate your zealousness on the subject the, "Ps1 can hold its own against any library and in terms of quality and assortment stands miles ahead of last gen," part isn't something that I agree with at all. I think video-games are gradually improving, I think we're in the prime on various levels, including game-play, story, and of course, graphics. I don't know if it's the best head-and-shoulders, however, as I really enjoyed some of the titles that were released in the sixth gen. (Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and Resident Evil 4 to name a few.)

    Agree to disagree, I suppose.


    OOF-Writing.com
    "Insert a super-cool and witty comment that will make them want to click your link here." - Sir Nikolai McCon's III.

  9. #19
    Senior Member willo745's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    9,056
    Of course opinions differ thats a given but it doesn't hold up on anything other than gfx and controls. If they had the same in ps1 era id say the games would be years ahead.

    System shock is the basis for Bioshock lets not get silly and say they are totally different because fundamentallly they are not.

    The problems are obvious in ps1 era they had no power to enhance games like they do today, they had to convey games through storyline and to an extent through music and subtle sound effects.

    Take Resi and SH they were excellent games now they are just poor from top to bottom. The games industry is now completely stifling creation. Yes we still get great games but tbh last gen just bored me to tears, repetition in every game. 90% of games after 30 minutes i could see what was coming because i'd played them before.

    Variety is appalling tbh mate, yeah we have had astounding games last gen but how many games do i want a realistic new york/arab town do i need.

    I play games to get away from all that crap, whatever happened to designing imaginary worlds.......I dont want a clone of new york to the nth degree.

    Gajes back then had atmosphere and your correct in both have major pluses but is gaming where it should be nearly 30 years siince ps1?.......no it isnt imo.
    [/QUOTE]

    Thanks to Chronic Spender........

  10. #20
    Senior Member McConnaughay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,228
    Quote Originally Posted by willo745 View Post
    Of course opinions differ thats a given but it doesn't hold up on anything other than gfx and controls. If they had the same in ps1 era id say the games would be years ahead.
    Saying that opinion is a given, while at the same time clarifying that you are right and I am wrong. Contradicting.

    However, even still, it's your opinion, nothing more and nothing less, much like it's my opinion to say that I don't believe story's were nearly as good as you proclaim they were, and that I believe that video-games are improving.


    OOF-Writing.com
    "Insert a super-cool and witty comment that will make them want to click your link here." - Sir Nikolai McCon's III.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •