Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by willo745 View Post
    Of course opinions differ thats a given but it doesn't hold up on anything other than gfx and controls. If they had the same in ps1 era id say the games would be years ahead.
    Saying that opinion is a given, while at the same time clarifying that you are right and that it doesn't hold up on anything other than graphics and controls. Contradicting.

However, even still, it's your opinion, nothing more and nothing less, much like it's my opinion to say that I don't believe story's were nearly as good as you proclaim they were, and that I believe that video-games are improving.

OOF-Writing.com
    "Insert a super-cool and witty comment that will make them want to click your link here." - Sir Nikolai McCon's III.

Banned
    Games back then were so better, then they are now. Everything is a mis-mash between the video-gamer experience and the computer-gamer experience. That is why people are confused about what is good from what is bad. Usually nowadays, everything good is just eye-candy, with easy to master gameplay, and automatic moves " I did not do that, the game did that". Most of the games I am seeing are basically either, JRPG ( action linear games ), or FPS, with a game that does something differnt with the FPS, like Metroid, Mirror Edge, or Bioshock. Most FPS games are just fancy versions of DOOM, or Wolfenstiene, with a bunch of mods attachec.

Quote Originally Posted by McConnaughay View Post

That is so beautiful to see that flyer. The games featured was usually what was in connection with stores. Most PSX games when it was around 1999, was like $20 dollars, and the SNES games had gone down to $30 dollars. However most children would get their games around their birthday, Christmas, Back to school, Sick days, or Summer Vacation. Like for me I would probably get 2-3 games a year. Later on down the road, when I started to get money in my hands, I would go to funcoland ( ah memories ), and get the used games. Funcoland was such an auwesome place.

You have to understand that many PSX games, brand new wented for lower prices in various stores. Like FF7 was around $20 dollars, in one place and $60 dollars in another place. Some poeple were selling DKC for $90. A person made DKC clone for the Genesis and was selling that game along side the original.

Toys R' Us was great back when they had the Saturn, N64, SNES, Gameboy, etc. However once the years started to turn, it became more of a babies R Us, clothing store, and the customer service are a bunch of needy women, instead of the actual persons who knew anything about games. Going to target nowadays is basically the same thing, browse the Toy isles, but the game department sucks.

Nowadays buying games from a big store, feels like your buying crap, from a crap store. I go to specialty shops, that sells games, at least you feel alive.

When was this magical time? In-terms of PlayStation alone, the games were still expensive as hell, and I always found them to be short. Games were never reasonably priced, the high-price now is sixty, but before that, take in inflation, they were always about the same, hell, given inflation, some might have been more.
    Well for a short time, as mentioned, up till the 360, PS3, WiiU days games were actually cheap. The cheapest games would go for $30, then $40, and finally $50. Yes their was inflation back then, but that was mostly for the obvious big Christmas sellers that costed $60, then the Birthday games that could cost $50, and the Summer vacation games that costed $40.
    Another factor was used games, as with Blockbuster (blockbuster became a big empty crime scene ) and funcoland. So these games were priced lower, and lower. With many people returning the games, they would resell them for -10 or -30 for the price. Lets say a new game came out, and costed $50 and you could also sell a used game for $40 dollars, and have no taxes ( because of the garage seller rule ). It was a big business, and still is today, but with ebay, and the internet laws, people are selling games, and being fined for the paypal exchange, and ebay listing. I think an ebay listing is like -8 to even $80 you make.

As with used games, their was dead stock. Meaning disturbers, and resellers desperately wanted to get rid of the dead stock. So Videogames from the NES era could be seen alongside with the Dreamcast era. Eventually they started to dump all the games. I mean literally just dump the games in the garbage. So stores had brand new games, in boxes, from other stores.

Personally, while I'd like to join the club in saying old games were amazing while new ones suck, kind-of like what people do with movies, I can't think of any games from back then that even come remotely close to comparing to The Last of Us, BioShock Infinite, Batman: Arkham City, and all of the games that we have now. It isn't just advanced graphics, but stories are becoming more intricate and controls continue to be polished. That's just me.

The Last of Us
    Is crap. You play a game about a father, who daughter died, in an virus outbreak. It is basically the story of "Last Man alive" but turned into a videogame, with a despotic future. Most of the monsters are blind, and they try to pull off all the cliches of the post-apocolyptic ( 1990, welcome to the jungle , Big haired band, progressive rock, ), world, but the difference is that everybody looks like crap, and is afraid to go outside. Ever seen "12 monkeys" and she gets attacked in the abandoned theater, and he bashed their brains open, or even the scene with the Pimp, and the dentist operation, that is the entire LOS in a nutshell, but no time travel, and no 1990 Virus bs.

Back on "12 monkeys", that is why they call it the "Super 80's", they made everything seemed that things were bad, but the truth is that most people never did like the, Synth-people from the 1980's or the Rockbands, and they even disliked the Rap music, and just all black people in general. That is what I really hate about the 1990's, everybody kept on trying to prove how tuff they were. Even the postal man had a poor attitude, you had a bunch of crap people in the 1990's. That is still one my favorite films to watch.

BioShock Infinite
    It looks good, plays good ,and all but is full of crap. Especially seeing this game on the NEWS, and being told to buy it from the same anchor people, who told us not to buy GTA.
    Most of the game is looking at things, listening to crappy tunes ( they are not bad but think about the usage ), and seeing visuals. The entire game was to get back his daughter, he gave to his future self. Ends up becoming more Set the blackie free rubbish, and then leaves with feminist ideas.

It was a great idea, and had many things to offer, but the ending itself, was lame. You went trough all of that only to drown yourself, wake up to look inside a crib. I mean seriously, what gives. BIOSHOCK INFINITE IS JUST A

Back then the American flag meant something great, "Far East Of Eden IV" did something grand with the whole American idea. This game with the American flag on it, is just depressing.
    We have a bunch of crappy laws, right now, so seeing America in my face, is like looking at a dirty rag. I want to buy this and that game, but I feel like I am living in the dark ages.

Batman: Arkham City
    Okay Batman on the Playstation was amazing, drive the batcar, look for clues, fight badguys, face off with mister Freeze. All Batman games are great. Arkam, etc is a just another action game, in an super powerful 3d world. The first one they made, was great, and the second one tried to improve on the first but failed, because the first one, was more or less the Joker, we knew, not the Joker remade. Their are tons of Batman games that are great.

Your on the street in your batcar, and out of nowhere Freeze comes by disable your car, and you head out on foot. All these newer games have automated battle scenes, that are over dramatized, with all kinds of things.
    Last edited by RegalSin; 24-03-2014 at 11:40 AM.

I have to say, every time that I read one of your posts, I think to myself, "This might actually be a worthwhile discussion," then, you call Last of Us and BioShock Infinite crap, and that Arkham was "just another action game".

I think that it may very well be that you simply hate video-games in-general.

I can't take an opinion like that seriously because it feels as if you are bashing for the sake of bashing.

Where were these other tremendous Batman games? Batman: Vengeance? Sucked. Batman: Dark Tomorrow? Sucked. Batman Begins? Better, but mediocre. Batman: Return of the Joker? Fun, but certainly nothing more than a standard button-masher. Batman Forever: The Arcade Game? Nope. Batman & Robin? Nope.
    Last edited by McConnaughay; 25-03-2014 at 01:49 PM.

OOF-Writing.com
    "Insert a super-cool and witty comment that will make them want to click your link here." - Sir Nikolai McCon's III.

GF Member
    RegalSin: So TLoU was crap was it? Funny because I thought it was one of the most amazing games I've ever played, oh but it must be so crap after winning how many awards and getting a planned film adaption it was so good?

Excuse my French, but dude you are an absolute ****ing retard. If nowadays games are so bad go and get an old PS1 or Super Nintendo or some **** and go stick your thumb up your ass.

Oh, I guess I didn't like Bioshock Infinite and Arkham City then, and I guess millions of people were wrong when they said TLOU was one of the best games of the last generation. You're right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hitchhiker's Guide View Post
    Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is!
    Tied for Funniest Member of 2013

GF Member
    I think we should listen to Regalsin's advice he is obviously very knowledgeable. We should all go out and find old PS1 or Saturn systems and hook them up to CRT TV's and live 18 years in the past when gaming was obviously at it's peak.

lelz.

Quote Originally Posted by Semiprochimp View Post
    I think we should listen to Regalsin's advice he is obviously very knowledgeable. We should all go out and find old PS1 or Saturn systems and hook them up to CRT TV's and live 18 years in the past when gaming was obviously at it's peak.

lelz.
    Joke's on you, cause I already have my PS1 hooked up to my TV.

Now I just need to throw out my 360 and Wii U

Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is!

GF Member
    Haha! I might as well just throw out my PS4 right now which I spent $550 because obviously it will always be overshadowed by the PS1 that generation of consoles and games.

Press X To Rescue Orphans Ride the Walrus's Avatar
    Troll or not, he makes interesting discussion. Well, 'interesting'.

TLOU is possibly my favourite game ever. It's that good.
    Died Wearing A Purple Jacket.

THE MOOSE IS LOOSE

Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    Honey, I ****ed the kids

Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of the PS1 classics. I even went as far as getting Crash Bandicoot tattooed on my leg, but newer games honestly are much better, in pretty much every way.