Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOakster View Post
    The Sonic games were one of the worst transitions into 3D ever, and it worked so well in 2D...
    I blame that transition for Sonic's and consequently Sega's downfall.
    Geh? Sonic Adventure was the best-selling game on the Dreamcast, and Sonic Adventure 2 was the 10th best-selling game on the Nintendo Gamecube.

General Forum Rules
    Ignorance is not an excuse.

The Sonic games were one of the worst transitions into 3D ever, and it worked so well in 2D...
    IDK, man, sonic generations was good...

Long Gone
    Huh? Sonic's 3D history isn't anywhere near all bad.
    Firstly, Sonic 3D (I'm counting it for this) was mediocre but the Saturn version had the best special stage of all time.
    Then you had Sonic Adventure. I could detail how enjoyable it was but I think the fact that it is still beloved by many (myself included) with all its problems just goes to show how fun it is.
    Next came Sonic Adventure 2. Brilliant game, with the obvious exception of the driving stages and the final Rouge level.
    It was after that, with Sonic Heroes that the series went downhill for a while.
    However then came Sonic Unleashed. The night stages were not the best however the day stages were a sure sign that Sega had finally fixed the series.
    After that came Colours, a game that I cannot say anything bad about.
    Followed then, as we all know by Generations which is brilliance. The perfect 3D Sonic game and the perfect rendering of the old games into 3D. It was just a little on the easy side.

Quote Originally Posted by Éclair View Post
    Geh? Sonic Adventure was the best-selling game on the Dreamcast, and Sonic Adventure 2 was the 10th best-selling game on the Nintendo Gamecube.
    It was the main thing that made me get a Gamecube before a PS2 which I am grateful for.
    Last edited by D.S.C.L; 28-08-2013 at 02:34 AM.

The Last True Gamer JudgeYohance's Avatar
    Honestly I think the best examples of this is on the N64. How many of those games looked bad compared to the 2D versions.
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, beat him with a fish and you have a youtube clip that lasts a lifetime."
    "He came out of the caves and declared, I AM YOHANCE, Hunter of SPAM!"
    GIFSoup

Long Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeYohance View Post
    Honestly I think the best examples of this is on the N64. How many of those games looked bad compared to the 2D versions.
    I think that's something that counts for 99% of early 3D games. The worst part is that I remember when I first saw N64 graphics and I was amazed by them.

Bomberman would suck in 3D. Seriously, how would one play that in 3D?

Quote Originally Posted by Vest Guy View Post
    Yes, two of them.

Both Curse of, and Tales Of Monkey Island are 3D.
    Escape from Monkey Island was also 3D.

Curse of Monkey Island was still the average point & click standard, where you actually used the mouse and was, in my opinion, the best looking in the series. Escape, while still being a good game when you got over the whole "Monkey Kombat" and the 'Secret' of Monkey Island isn't the best looking game. I remember there being some eye-rolling with the graphics of the Telltale Game's rendition - I really didn't mind them. I was just glad to get another Monkey Island.

I don't think Escape really did well transitioning. Again, good game, but really difficult to look at things. If you'd played Grim Fandango, then you'd probably have the knack for it. But if you were to have just went from Curse to Escape, then you'd notice the huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Phossix View Post
    Escape from Monkey Island was also 3D.

Curse of Monkey Island was still the average point & click standard, where you actually used the mouse and was, in my opinion, the best looking in the series. Escape, while still being a good game when you got over the whole "Monkey Kombat" and the 'Secret' of Monkey Island isn't the best looking game. I remember there being some eye-rolling with the graphics of the Telltale Game's rendition - I really didn't mind them. I was just glad to get another Monkey Island.

I don't think Escape really did well transitioning. Again, good game, but really difficult to look at things. If you'd played Grim Fandango, then you'd probably have the knack for it. But if you were to have just went from Curse to Escape, then you'd notice the huge difference.
    Yeah, I meant Escape From, rather than Curse Of.

I agree though, Course Of Money Island's look suits the game best, and is most enjoyable. I wish they would have stuck with that look. The new releases of 1+2 don't look too bad either. But the 3rd in the series still wins for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vest Guy View Post
    Yeah, I meant Escape From, rather than Curse Of.

I agree though, Course Of Money Island's look suits the game best, and is most enjoyable. I wish they would have stuck with that look. The new releases of 1+2 don't look too bad either. But the 3rd in the series still wins for me.
    The cartoon look really suits the whole feeling of the series.
    Monkey Island 2 was decent enough with the character models, but Guybrush's hair in the first game's remake irked me.

For me Worms never worked in 3D and it was a silly idea to make the transition in the first place.