Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What made you choose the PS3 over the XBOX 360 or others?

What made it most appealing to you? Does it offer anything that other consoles don't?

3 broken 360s in under 2 years.

1 unbroken PS3 in over 3 years.

Followup to one of the best consoles of all time, better exclusives IMO and I wanted a Blu Ray player.

Long Gone
    Firstly, it was the follow up to the PS1/PSone and the PS2. Those consoles and their libraries impressed me in their respective lifespans. I always found the Xbox boring.
    Secondly, PSN was free and Xbox Live is not.
    Thirdly, the downloadable retro library was bigger and includes classics (Such as MGS and Silent Hill) which have long since been lost or broken.
    Also the Red Ring of Death. I had spoken to many people who had it happen to them by nobody who had the PS3 equivalent.
    Finally, Microsoft have never (in my opinion) had any exclusive franchises I cared about (until they got Banjo-Kazooie). Sony had some I was interested in.

In the eternal land of seclusion... the void.
    I've always had a PlayStation, but my main reason was for The Last Guardian, which still hasn't arrived, and to play FFXIII on the console it was originally meant for. It's become more or less my RpG console, but I've begun to invest in more single-player based games as of late. My 360 is my go to console for co-op gaming mostly, and whatever genre I find more fitting on each console.

I'm a Sony fan boy. I became one ever since I got hold of a PS 1. That's why I prefer the PS 3 over the 360 (though I have a 360 and a Wii as well). I became a fan boy because a lot of games on the PlayStation consoles suit my tastes. That's it. And that's the reason why I'm getting a PS 4 first.

GF Member
    The Xbox is made by an immoral and incompetent company, that was my main reason. Didn't know anything about games when I bought the PlayStation.

Also,

Having an incompetent software company make a hardware gaming console

--- v.s. ---

Having a audio/video company with a long history of impressive products make a hardware gaming console

How was there ever a choice? I really don't understand how the Xbox EVER took off. Why on earth did people buy it?
    Last edited by Mouton; 01-09-2013 at 08:50 AM.

In the eternal land of seclusion... the void.
    I bought my original Xbox for Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and the console introduced me to other series I've grown to love. Simple as that. Plus it still works after 12 years. And reason I bought a 360 is because it was the next step up to one of my most played consoles. MS weren't that bad back then, until I noticed a rise in prices and the changes they made to silver membership is quite shocking.

It's not a case of me "switching" to PlayStation, it's a case of the services that's morally better to invest in, and sticking with the more trust-worthy of both.

Well I didn't chose a PS3 over the 360, but this should still be relevant to the discussion...

growing up I usually had every console, I probably played the PSone and PS2 most frequently, The Final Fantasy series was a huge selling point for me then. Back when they were good games.

Then me and my brother invested in a Xbox Live subscription, which probably made me a dull fledged Xbox player. It revolutionised gaming for me. When The 360 and PS2 was scheduled for release, I went with the 360, I was at home with the Xbox (Not to mention the PS4 was more expensive back then than the 360, opposite of this upcoming generation). Yes the PS3 had free multiplayer, but I felt the service Xbox Live offered and at £30-40 a year, it was incredibly cheap and incredibly worth it. Over all I would say the 360 was definitely the best of this generation.

However recently since the PS+ IGC came out, PS started to get my attention again, as well the exclusives like Last Of Us, Beyond: Two Souls etc, started getting my attention. I am now siding with the PS4 over the Xbone as I now feel they have a online service to match, or infact beat Xbox live.

Just always had Sony consoles and already had the ps2 when the original xbox hit. They timed it wrong and i couldn't understand why they didn't just wait for a new rollout tbh.

I own a 360 but never play it and i certainly wouldn't want to pay 50 pound a year just to be able to play my games online, they didn't give you anything to sweeten the deal either. It may have party chat etc but was it worth 50 pound more than Sony's online?...No

Sony gave everyone the option of buying psn plus and it was well worth the money, now at the end of the ps3's life i can see things becoming slower as the servers are full so if they have to charge to make it better then fair enough as your basically getting a better service and a library of ps3 and ps4 games for the same fee as plus now.

I would have probably bought an Xbone if it hadn't announced about the drm etc, but my main reason now is i cant trust them, how can you trust a company when the head guy says in an interview that it would be impossible to ditch the announced plans, actually saying to the interviewer "are you a technician?" then please listen when we say it cant be done, 2 weeks later and guess what?

Any company that asks gamers to not care about other gamers would do the same to you or I in a heartbeat, loyal xbox fans who didn't have high speed broadband because they couldn't either afford it or their country just doesn't have it were being excluded and for me to then tell them to buy an xbox 360 was atrocious, lets be honest MS tried to take control of our pastime not to stop piracy but to control gaming so strictly that they could charge whatever they liked, unfortunately Sony and many publishers didn't do what they expected.

So for me PS4 will be the only console i buy, im not interested in what MS say or do now they need teaching a lesson in principles tbh.
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks to Chronic Spender........