Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does Driver deserve a remake?

I loved Driver on the PS1. I loved every bit of it except the driving test at the beginning of the story mode. It was the closest thing to a GTA 3D game for the PS1. It allowed players to roam around different cities in cars and play hide and seek with the police. It was such a great driving game - something that GTA sometimes fails to address. Do you think that Driver deserves a remake?

No..........

The PS1 game was a fun game to play so why ruin it with a remake. Lets be honest the subsequent games were bloody awful so its not going to be any different with a remake. Games have moved on they would need a lot more than the original and just driving isnt enough anymore tbh.
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks to Chronic Spender........

Was the Driver game on the Xbox 360 not a remake?

Quote Originally Posted by Vest Guy View Post
    Was the Driver game on the Xbox 360 not a remake?
    Nope. The one you're thinking of is Driver : San Francisco, which was a lot of fun because the main character you play as spends the entire game in a coma. Don't worry, it totally makes sense.

I never cared much for the first 3 games, but I would absolutely love a remake of Driver : Parallell Lines. If you haven't played it, the plot of Parallell Lines was that you play as a wheelman in the late 70's, and about halfway throught the game you get arrested, and spend the next 28 years in prison. You're released in 2006, and try to pick your old life back up in a completely changed world.

It was great because the 2 different time periods had completely different cars, weapons, soundtrack and environments, even though it's the same city.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hitchhiker's Guide View Post
    Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is!
    Tied for Funniest Member of 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Anders View Post
    Nope. The one you're thinking of is Driver : San Francisco,
    Oh right, I always presumed that was from the Driver franchise.

Oh right, I always presumed that was from the Driver franchise.
    I mean, it's part of the same series, but it's not in any sense a remake.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hitchhiker's Guide View Post
    Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is!
    Tied for Funniest Member of 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Anders View Post
    I mean, it's part of the same series, but it's not in any sense a remake.
    Thought so. I get the impression the OP has no idea that game exists then.

Thought so. I get the impression the OP has no idea that game exists then.
    Driver 1 on the Ps1 was actually a brilliant game with for that time driving that was excellent fun. Seriously it betters some from even this gen it was just a brilliant game and for the time it had a city to drive around and explore.

It wouldn't work today because for me a great game should be remade exactly to the original. You couldn't do anything but drive around the city or take the missions. You never stepped out of the car it was purely a set of missions where you had to either escape, chase or protect.

Later Driver games were not so good but i believe they expanded with out of car parts that were awful and some gunplay. A couple were supposed to be ok especially the one Anders mentioned.

But if they remade it they would have to expand it as it just wouldn't stand up today, you would finish it in a couple of hours. So if they have to add lots of other elements it would essentially be like the later games, so it would easier just making a new installment.
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks to Chronic Spender........

Driver 1's biggest draw was the replay-director mode. You'd spend 3 mins doing a mission then 1 hour fiddling about with camera positions to make your replay look awesome. Then eventually you'd find yourself driving missions 'stylishly' specifically for the camera's.

As a game itself Driver 1 was frustrating and no better than its many sequels, if you want a more modern iteration then pick up "Driver: Parallel Lines" as that was a decent game though it lacked the replay director mode.

Can you call me Nyteblade YesConsiderably's Avatar
    I recall enjoying Driver, but when i cast my mind back to the game two things stick out: The incredibly annoying slalom training exercise, and the incredibly annoying San Francisco tram.

One thing that i liked about the game was that you were confined to your car. I tried one of the sequels but was put off by the sub-par third person shooting. I can't say that i'd immediately go out and buy it, but i'd be curious about a Driver remake that was more true to the original game.