Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Dance Commander Anders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Land of chocolate lesbians
    Posts
    1,335

    5 things you need to know about the Wii U

    So, I though I'd make a little buyer's guide to the Wii U, by making a list of facts you may or may not know.


    1: The Wii U is 100% backwards compatible with the Wii, meaning you can play Wii games, use Wii controllers, the Wii sensor bar, and even the AV component cables.


    2: It supports ALL the controllers. For most games you need to use either the gamepad or a Wii U Pro controller as player 1, but for other players in local multiplayer you can use Wii controllers with or without the nunchuch, Wii Classic controllers, Wii Classic Pro controllers, and with an adapter, even GameCube controllers.


    3: Several games support 5 player local co-op. In addition to the gamepad, you can connect 4 controllers to the Wii U, which makes it possible to play 5 player co-op in games like Rayman Legends and New Super Mario Brothers U


    4: Not all games support off-TV play on the gamepad. Most games fully support playing the entire game using only the gamepad screen, but some games like Lego City Undercover and ZombiU are only possible to play using both screens


    5: The Wii U can NOT play DVDs or Blu-Rays. The disk drive in the Wii U is actually not a DVD drive, but a Nintendo Optical Disc drive. The discs used for Wii U games are called WUP-006s, and have a 25GB storage capacity

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hitchhiker's Guide View Post
    Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is!
    Tied for Funniest Member of 2013

  2. #2
    GF Active Member Turnip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    278
    Good guide. Maybe should also point out that if you buy a game on the e-shop it isn't linked to your account but to the console you bought it with.

  3. #3
    Dance Commander Anders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Land of chocolate lesbians
    Posts
    1,335
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnip View Post
    Good guide. Maybe should also point out that if you buy a game on the e-shop it isn't linked to your account but to the console you bought it with.
    Good point. Please add other points if you can think of any.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hitchhiker's Guide View Post
    Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is!
    Tied for Funniest Member of 2013

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    67
    Nice tips, here are my view on them

    1: The Wii U is able to play GCN games as well. Depending on which model, and etc.


    2: So it supports previous controllers like the Playstation series did at one point?

    3: Nintendo 64 had four players, and their were dozens of games for people of all age groups to get along and play with. Football games ( forget which console ) also supported more then four player action. the Turbo graphics supported more then five players ( I think up to seven, but not too many games were released ), Bomberman had more then ten people on one screen, for the Saturn.




    4: They force you to use the bulky game pad but their is a fix for that. Basically some games, people have found ways to disable them, asides Nintendo, responding to complaints. They want you to spend money for the thing itself.


    5: The Wii U is a blu-ray disc-drive and has an extra layer ( black ring ) protecting it. You can program a blu-ray drive to read from a certain point. Meaning it is software

    6. Pulling a USB, might force the Wii U to reset. I don't know if this is all games, but it will say something like "Back away from the controller, and turn me off, in a sequence of code".

  5. #5
    Dance Commander Anders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Land of chocolate lesbians
    Posts
    1,335
    Quote Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
    Nice tips, here are my view on them

    1: The Wii U is able to play GCN games as well. Depending on which model, and etc.


    2: So it supports previous controllers like the Playstation series did at one point?

    3: Nintendo 64 had four players, and their were dozens of games for people of all age groups to get along and play with. Football games ( forget which console ) also supported more then four player action. the Turbo graphics supported more then five players ( I think up to seven, but not too many games were released ), Bomberman had more then ten people on one screen, for the Saturn.




    4: They force you to use the bulky game pad but their is a fix for that. Basically some games, people have found ways to disable them, asides Nintendo, responding to complaints. They want you to spend money for the thing itself.


    5: The Wii U is a blu-ray disc-drive and has an extra layer ( black ring ) protecting it. You can program a blu-ray drive to read from a certain point. Meaning it is software

    6. Pulling a USB, might force the Wii U to reset. I don't know if this is all games, but it will say something like "Back away from the controller, and turn me off, in a sequence of code".

    1: That's not true

    2: Yes, the PS2 supports PS1 controllers.

    3: I'm talking about current generation consoles, not 20 year old systems.

    4: If you think the gamepad is bulky, I'm gonna go ahead and guess that you've never held one. It's actually a great controller.

    5: I highly doubt that is true, but even if it was true, it would requite cracking the console open, and probably some soldering.

    6: That's not true


    Please, for the love of god, please stop talking about things you obviously don't know anything about.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hitchhiker's Guide View Post
    Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is!
    Tied for Funniest Member of 2013

  6. #6
    GF Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    99
    RegalSin please stop talking.


    Awesome guide Anders, I was thinking about upgrading my nieces Wii console to the Wii-U for her birthday, and you laid out some great facts I didn't even know about the system.

    I will need to target more 'kid-friendly' games to get her however, my brother would kill me if I got her some nightmare inducing game like Zombie-U haha!

  7. #7
    Dance Commander Anders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Land of chocolate lesbians
    Posts
    1,335
    Quote Originally Posted by Semiprochimp View Post
    RegalSin please stop talking.


    Awesome guide Anders, I was thinking about upgrading my nieces Wii console to the Wii-U for her birthday, and you laid out some great facts I didn't even know about the system.

    I will need to target more 'kid-friendly' games to get her however, my brother would kill me if I got her some nightmare inducing game like Zombie-U haha!
    Thank you! I can definitely recommend getting her Super Mario 3D World and Lego City Undercover, both are some of the best games on the Wii U, and Lego City honestly is one of the best games I've played in a while period. The Legend of Zelda : Wind Waker also is great, but it can sometimes get confusing as to where you're supposed to go, and what to do. Depends on how old she is I suppose.

    I think both your niece and your brother would thank you, as she gets to play great games, and she doesn't have to constantly hog his TV

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hitchhiker's Guide View Post
    Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is!
    Tied for Funniest Member of 2013

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Anders View Post
    1: That's not true
    Don't be smart with me, when your talking about things that a person could find out by reading a manual.

    1. Well apparently their are models that can play those games. Just try looking it up. It works. So I guess your going to rebuy all of those GCN games.

    2: Almost everything has backward support for a PlayStation controller. .

    3: Your mentioning something that everybody automatically knows because NINTENDO HAVE TO DO IT. THEY have to keep moving forward, and look great.

    4: No nah nah it is bulky, giant game console, you can hold in your hand. I mean yeah, yeah your right it is small, but so is a PSP.

    5: Compare the discs, you will see Nintendo is manufacturing blu-ray discs, that are altered slighty, same material, same structure, only it reads via software commands. Meaning a Wii U disc could read in an PS3 or computer if it was given the command to start from a certain point. The disc drives we use today since "June 2001-2005 ( I forget which date ) all have firmware inside of them, meant for region blocking ( pretty dumb if you ask me ), and Nintendo probably most likely said, why not just add some software the synch with the disc itself.
    You can go and research this right now, or just compare the discs. With GCN discs "DOL" they just wrote the data backwards on the DVD, so a computer is unable to read it.

    6: With enough effort an error message can pop up on the wiiu that wants you to restart the system or turn it off. Something along those lines.

  9. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2
    The wii u flopped so it doesnt matter.

  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    15
    This discussion is 5 years so it's useless to answer

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •