Do Wii games work on WiiU?

I am looking into buying a WiiU, but before I do I want to know if all my Wii games will work on WiiU. See, I have been collecting Wii games for years, and although I have never counted, I have at least 20 or more and it would suck to have to buy all of those for the WiiU (and probably take even longer than it did to get them all for the Wii) plus some of the games I have they haven't made a version for the WiiU. So, before I buy the WiiU, should I say goodbye to all my Wii games, or will they still work?

Press X To Rescue Orphans Ride the Walrus's Avatar
    Never fear, wii games play on Wii u no problem mate.
    Died Wearing A Purple Jacket.

THE MOOSE IS LOOSE

Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    Honey, I ****ed the kids

All the games will work, and all your controllers and accessories will also work. The Wii U is a beautiful machine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hitchhiker's Guide View Post
    Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is!
    Tied for Funniest Member of 2013

I've been wondering how much of a visual upgrade the Wii U gives to Wii games? Couldn't find a good comparison online. Anyone know?

I don't believe it gives a visual upgrade at all. I'd be more inclined to expect it to be a downgrade due to differences in supported... things. The word escapes me at the moment.

General Forum Rules
    Ignorance is not an excuse.

There is a small visual upgrade to running Wii games on a Wii U, but don't expect to fall off your chair over the improvements. Some games can also look slightly grainier on 1080p as they were designed for a lower resolution (although you can alter the Wii U resolution to match so no big deal). Super Mario Galaxy does look better I think on the Wii U than the Wii though, as does Mario Kart Wii.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel5087 View Post
    I am looking into buying a WiiU, but before I do I want to know if all my Wii games will work on WiiU. See, I have been collecting Wii games for years, and although I have never counted, I have at least 20 or more and it would suck to have to buy all of those for the WiiU (and probably take even longer than it did to get them all for the Wii) plus some of the games I have they haven't made a version for the WiiU. So, before I buy the WiiU, should I say goodbye to all my Wii games, or will they still work?
    Yes they will work on the WiiU. You can access it through the backwards compatibility app that takes you to a virtual Wii menu. But you first need to know how to download and use the WiiU Transfer Tool on both consoles to transfer the save data. You won't have to ditch your Wii stuff as thousands of Wii games and nearly all controllers and licensed accessories should work with the Wii U. The only exception are unlicensed products and ones that support the Game-Cube system.

Quote Originally Posted by MattParks View Post
    I've been wondering how much of a visual upgrade the Wii U gives to Wii games? Couldn't find a good comparison online. Anyone know?
    There is no visual upgrade in terms of graphics. The resolution and lighting effects, however, vastly improve the way the game is presented. But some games have even shittier resolution and lighting effects than before, so it all depends on the game itself. There was a YouTube video uploaded by IGN that showcased the difference of Skyward Sword being shown on the Wii and WiiU. It looks simliar except the WiiU version looks more brighter and has a better resolution of 480 p instead of 480 i.