A gamers dilemma...

I am having a dilemma.

After hammering about a billion hours into The Witcher 3 (feels like in anyway!) and loving every moment I’ve hit a crossroads…. I‘ve come to the sad realisation that I don’t have a huge amount of time to play video games anymore and I need to make a decision.

I have a huge list of RPG’s I started and never finished including FF12, FF13 (all 3), FF-Type 0, Star Ocean: The Last Hope, Fallout NV, Skyrim as well as Star Wars KOTOR on PC and Dragon Age Inquisition I bought on launch day and still haven’t even loaded on my Xbox One

I have an ever growing list of new Xbox One games, some of which I haven’t even begun and I really need to start playing them as I feel I’m missing out as well as wasting money. The last thing I want is to get into the situation like last console generation where I have a list as long as the above of RPG’s I never finished, let alone other games I didn’t even have time to start! So I’ve come up with an idea that goes against my ‘gaming morals’ but may just be a solution so I don’t get stuck in the last console generation predicament all over again…

My idea is I stick to one main RPG at a time, but then pick other action, shooter, platformers, horror games etc. that are shorter and smash through them on ‘EASY’. I hate this idea, as I’ve never played games on easy mode as I like a decent challenge at least (usually play normal or whatever it’s set on as standard) but my thinking is I will get through them loads quicker and still get to experience the story, settings and characters. Its a hell of a compromise as I imagine EASY or CASUAL is ridiculously simple and possibly boring but the alternative is possibly never getting round to playing the games anyway.

So my question is, would this be a sad but necessary solution or absolute sacrilege…?

In the eternal land of seclusion... the void.
    Playing easy isn't a bad thing, I'm practically doing the same thing with some of my games, I actually find the casual setting rather nice on games. I'm currently going through Castlevania on squire difficulty and find it challenging :/. Believe in or not but some easy/casual modes give some challenge, I found Tomb Raider's combat still challenging enough on the easiest setting. Dragon Age Origins too can be a handful on casual, you're not losing much challenge, you're just gaining tactful advantage.

This is what I was hoping as I have never as far as I remember dropped the difficulty on any game below normal (or whatever the default is from the title screen).

My concern is games like Alien Isolation for example... won't it be too easy and boring?

I just feel like as a dedicated gamer (well I used to be anyway when I had more time!) it feels a little like cheating almost you know? Like Easy mode is for people who have never gamed before or are like 6 years old...

In the eternal land of seclusion... the void.
    I've been gaming my whole life, that doesn't mean I'm a veteran at it or want more challenge. Lately I've just grown a huge backlog, that's my reason for casual gaming, plus it's nice to just enjoy the story. I can see the argument with games like Alien Isolation, perhaps on long winded games (large rpg's etc.) you could take the casual route, and on smaller games go your usual difficulty route.

I've been gaming since I was about 4 years old, and I'm not ashamed to play games on easy. I'm awful at most games, and I'd much rather actually get through the whole game on an easier difficulty than dying over and over at the same spot without making progress. I've also given up beating all the games I buy a loooong time ago. As a PC gamer with a Steam library of over 200 games I'm pretty sure it's not even actually possible at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hitchhiker's Guide View Post
    Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is!
    Tied for Funniest Member of 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Seducer View Post
    plus it's nice to just enjoy the story.
    Thats the main reason for me right there. I simply don't have the time these days to try beating games on the harder difficulties, i'm certainly no achievement hunter who's happy to do endless play throughs. I want to be entertained while interacting and i really enjoy the story's. I'm more than happy these days to sit down and play through on easy and enjoy the fantasy.
    [CENTER]

Can you call me Nyteblade YesConsiderably's Avatar
    It depends on the genre. I would argue that to get the most out of any Western rpg you have to play on a difficulty level that is just outside of your comfort zone, and i will explain why.

In Dragon Age: Origins you play as a Grey Warden with a remit to do whatever it takes to quell the Blight, and the game throws up many opportunities in which you will be rewarded with power for performing morally objectionable acts such as using the life energies of a group of elven slaves to augment your health.

If you're playing on easy, is there even a decision to be made? You're steaming through every combat encounter so can just do the right thing. If each battle is a challenge, however, it becomes something to consider. A lot of RPGs add a description on their easiest difficulty setting stating that this is for those who enjoy the story. I don't think that you can truly appreciate the story that way.

With other genres i don't think that it matters as much. Just play on what suits you.