Final Fantasy anthology attempt

So I recently purchased a PS Vita (fantastic handheld) and picked up every final fantasy game in the Square Enix sale. Having only played 7 through to 13 (never finished 13) My plan was to try and smash through all of them in order to see how it all started and fall in love with some classic gems again.

However, Iím concerned I may be wasting my timeÖ Booting up final fantasy 1 on the vita I must say the upgraded graphical overhaul is beautiful (bearing in mind its 2D, as were most of the early ones) I really like the look and feel and music. That being said, there just isnít any real story and thatís where its losing me.

So Iíve tried to do some research and Iím not sure, but I get the impression that 1 has a paper thin plot, two isnít hugely better and 3 improves on both graphics and gameplay but again misses the mark on story. The issue for me is the story, thatís what has allowed me to play a game like final fantasy 7 and 9 over and over again (and I donít find the block characters of 7 charming, they hurt my soul) because both are great games with a strong story and characters.

With that in mind I donít want to waste my time for nostalgia sake, as while Iím sure theyíre all great in their own way I need a good story or itíll lose me. So Iím thinking final fantasy 4: complete collection would be a good start and then final fantasy 6 (heard nothing but good things) and then see about the rest. Final Fantasy 5 apparently has a great job system but the story is pretty weak, does anyone know if this is true?

So my current plan is having completed 7-12:

Final Fantasy IV: complete collection
    Final Fantasy VI
    Final Fantasy Tactics: The war of the lions
    Final Fantasy Dissidia (on and off in-between, as its fun and different).

Does this sound like a sound plan or am I missing the mark completely?

Can't really comment on your progress but the up coming FF7 'reboot' is primary reason for me getting PS4. I have coveted a PS Vita since the day they were announced but never got around to buying on, now i have a PS4 i may well get a Vita to accompany it
    [CENTER]

I haven't touched a games console in days I'm all over the Vita at the moment! Smashing through Final Fantasy 4 which is awesome as well as Metal Gear Solid 3 which is really cool on the handheld. Fully expect the cross screen stream with PS4 to be a banger so I'd fully recommend it.

I've only played VII, IX, X, X-2 and XIII but I do have III, IV, IV: The After Years, V and VIII on Steam in my backlog that I want to get around to playing but I find it hard to start a game that I know is going to be 40+ hours now as work takes up a lot of time and I don't like playing multiple games at once.

Would recommend that you play 1, it does have some story and its a great start, i have and love them all and they are all worth playing in their own right